Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case Silverstone LC 17
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote Harmony 550
TV[Panasonic plasma G20
TV - HTPC Connection DVI-HDMI
Remote Sensor - Simerec PCS 1

Hi folks, i have two main questions and one observation.
After numerous attempts at trying to get MP to run with windows 7 i gave up and went back to XP. I continually had stuttering live TV, it might go bad in 1 min or 1 hour but eventually it would stutter and then freeze.
Not having the patience or knowledge to send you guys a log reports i just went with the old install/reinstall procedure to try and get it back up and running before the wife had a fit.
So here we are running XP with everything going smoothly........well not exactly.
My first issue is audio sync during live tv, i found a thread about this but no answer. It will go out of sync and then if i pause it for 5 to 10 secs then push it forward to the end it is back in snyc and stays that way for the rest of the time?
Any answers to that one??? I mean i can live with it but i don't know how it will affect recordings if at all and it's just another glitch in the matrix.
The other one is with moving pictures and it not recognising my MKV files - very strange? Is there some setting you have to change or file name to change??
The other observation i made was that for mkv files that were over say 12 or 13 gb during playback in windows 7 there would always be a 5-10 sec slow change before the movie started playing at normal speed this would also happen when i skipped it forward.
However with XP as an OS and exactly the same codecs (i use SAF 5) there was no delay and it would play straight away even when i skipped forward.
I assume this has something to do with the way windows renders the file yes/no maybe??
I hope someone can help on these issues, i would ideally like to go back to windows 7 as i like the lay out and i will have to eventually i am sure but the live tv kills me.
I have almost got MP to where i want it, just a few more tweaks and i am there.

Cheers

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I have recently gone from XP to Windows 7.

The key to a nice Windows 7 install is to keep things simple.

Install Win 7 + All updates.
    Install MediaPortal
    Do not install SAF, just use the built in MS codecs. Other than these, the only thing you may need is Haali Media Splitter. Give that a go - see if all your media plays.

I was veryhappy and surprised to find that all I needed was the Haali media splitter, and the built in MS codecs did everything for me, and did it really well too!

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Agreed. I find Windows 7 to be much more stable and better for MediaPortal.

Just install the Haali splitter and away you go.

Mark

scotstrength

Portal Member
    February 5, 2008
    Prague
    Thanks all for your replies.
    I will have a go with both options - play around with graph studio and possibly do another reinstall!
    I just couldn't get live tv to behave with windows 7 though.
    Anyway i will need to wait until the wife goes to bed before i can start the process. I will let you know how things go.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom