Yet another design (1 Viewer)

D

dm15644

Hi tklon, fathead,

thanks for the info, this clears the Silverstone issue.

I think I will then go K8V-MX plus sempron. The A8N-VM CSM is sweet of course, but together with the Athlon CPU beyond my budget.

Regarding HDD I will indeed make up my mind. I understand that I would need to build something around a 2.5"....

Cheers

/jayrock

dan_aka_jack

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
London, UK
Hi,

You don't need to use an Athlon in the Asus A8N-VM CSM board... AMD have just released some s939 Semperons.

I'm building a low-budget HTPC and I'm planning on using the A8N-VM CSM plus a s939 Semperon.

Jack

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
dan_aka_jack said:
Hi,

You don't need to use an Athlon in the Asus A8N-VM CSM board... AMD have just released some s939 Semperons.

I'm building a low-budget HTPC and I'm planning on using the A8N-VM CSM plus a s939 Semperon.

Jack

Thats my plan also, but can I find a S939 sempron? Can I eckers like!! Where the hell you getting one??

fathead

Portal Pro
March 17, 2005
dan_aka_jack said:
Hi,

According to this thread on OCUK, s939 Semperons wont be available until New Year. Bumber. Time for plan B!

Thanks,
Jack

I've also read that the whole Tforce chipset has been pulled off the shelves by Nvidia. They have found two design issues which have forced them to take this action.

gerick

October 28, 2005
tklon said:
jayrock said:
I checked the silverstone site. How did you find out from that info that a microATX board needs to have 3 PCI and one AGP? The Silverstone site doesn't talk about microATX, right?

Problem is that the AGP slot needs to be close to the backpanel. Otherwise you are not able to install the 2 risers. The position of the agp slot is on the right place when there are also 3 pci slots. If you look at the pictures of the K8S-MX and the K8V-MX you will see what I mean.

The board fathead suggest looks very good. It will fit, but you need the dual pci riser card. That's ok, because with that chipset and the good onboard gfx you don't need another gfx card. But you don't have S-Video connection, only VGA and DVI with that setup.

With the 2.5" hdd you perhaps need to improvise because it is mounted vertically just between the bottom of the case and a small metal piece on the other side. It will work, but I think it is easier to go for a 3.5" with more capacity. Up to your mind.

Asus offers TV-OUT (look like s-video and composite), SPDIF (appears to be coax and optical), and USB all on brackets that must be purchased separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom