(Yet another) question about a new build... (1 Viewer)

MPM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Short story:

I’m looking for a good MB (micro ATX or smaller), preferably with on-board graphics, potentially with additional graphics card. Target use is pure “living room” HTPC, i.e. watching TV and videos in a MP client configuration. No gaming, “MS Officing” or anything like that. The only “must have” is smooth and trouble-free playback of video material in all resolutions (including 1080p) and all flavours of compression; and smooth and trouble-free playback of TV, both SD and HD. “Nice to Haves” are ability to pass-through HD sound, sleep/resume technology that works well with MP and low power consumption.
    All recommendations and comments are hugely appreciated!

Long story:

I’ve been using MP since 2005. Love it now and loved it back then but I still have nightmares about all the hours spent and nerves lost configuring and fine-tuning it back then. (Kudos to developers for stabilizing it! :D) About two years ago everything looked much more stable and I took a “risk” and both an integrated MB for the first time (see My System) and the only thing I’ve done since then was to update MP, StreamedMP and SAF as new versions came out. Everything is working pretty much flawlessly (including that smooth and trouble-free playback that I refer to) and I found my inner peace! :rolleyes:

Now… New house and new furniture and there is no good place for my big case with full ATX MB. I bought an Eee Box 1501P few weeks ago and guess what? Those nightmares are back! Finding a set-up that works is difficult and fragile… Don’t want to discuss that here, I’ll start another thread about EB1501P. Have given up on it for living room, but still want to make it work… One decisive factor was also that (even in rare moments when everything works fine) general responsiveness of the system is not good enough given my previous experience. (I love my Moving Pictures, TV Series and FanArt…)

So, my current HTPC will be promoted (or demoted?) to a dedicated TV server and I want to put together new client for the living room. I but would really appreciate advice on MB given those “requirements” I mentioned. I need to fit it in a receiver-type of case, i.e. not deeper than app. 34 cm so I need micro ATX or smaller. As I said, I have a very positive experience with my current MB and integrated graphics, so if possible I would prefer something similar as it removes dependency on extra card and gives more possibilities when choosing a really good case in terms of cooling, noise and looks.

Thanks!
    MPM

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi MPM,

I have two clients (bedroom & kitchen) that run from the HTPC in my lounge. They are both Zotac Zbox ID41'S. They output at full HD via HDMI and have SSD's fitted within. The audio is via HDMI, however there is an optical out. I am really impressed with them. I have no problems with playback and they are very fast too - that is due to the SSD. There is a cooling fan on them but I only hear at boot up. Powerscheduler ++ works really well with them too - and also MySleepControl on the bedroom unit is a joy!

I have mounted them behind the TV using their own mounting bracket and each is operated by a MS MCE remote. The only downside I have is possibly due to my network - I use EOP @ 100mbps - although I am looking to install a gigabit network that should speed up network access.

I may get another unit for my lounge, and then relocate the current HTPC to my basement to act as a dedicated file/TV server. The GF uses them without problem too.

HTH,

M

MPM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the reply porky996t! Zotac Zbox ID41 is in essence the same computer as my EB1501P - Atom D525 and Nvidia ION, so given my experience I'm not too eager on trying another nettop. I know that there are people that are perfectly happy with EB1501P and MP too, but like I wrote it all seems a bit too fragile too me so I'm going back to something more powerful now. BTW, I can see that you are using SAF too... What about Nvidia drivers? Are you using latest ones from Nvidia or some specific version?

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi MPM,

I see what you mean about the EB1501P - pretty much the same as the Zbox. I such have Googled before responding. :oops:

I have SAF installed, but have gone back to the Win7 MS-DVD codecs as I seem to get very few dropped frames with it. I get about 90 dropped frames out of 80,000 on full HD playback over the network.

I use the latest nVidia drivers (v285 ??) I think from memory. I do find the SSD makes a huge difference. I also installed nVidia Inspector - this allows you to see if the codecs are using the GPU and also give the opportunity of over-clocking the GPU should you want to.

To be honest, I find that these two clients seem to be more reliable than the main HTPC in the lounge which is forever freezing up. :mad:

I did quite a bit of reading about the Zbox and to get it running OK I had to disable the wireless adaptor and disable the IPv6 protocol and it runs really well.

If I get another for the lounge I can just cannibalise the existing HTPC to make a file & TV server. I just cannot decide what to do - if I go for the server I will 'have' to install a Cat6 network :rolleyes:

M

MPM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Owlsroost, that looks interesting. Is there any specific MB that you would recommend with i3?

MPM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So, after few days of intensive browsing, I'm leaning towards:
    Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3; and
    Intel Core i3 2100 3,1GHz or Intel Core i3 2105 3,1GHz to start with and then, if I'm not happy with integrated graphics, add:
    Asus GeForce ENGT440 DC Silent/DI/1GD3

Main question:
    1. What do you think about that choice?

And few more questions:
    2. Difference between 2100 and 2105 is integrated graphics - HD2000 vs HD3000. If there is any difference, which one is better suited for HTPC and MP?
    (Obviously, I understand that HD3000 is newer and more powerful, but that doesn't necessarily answer my question...)
    3. Will choice of SSD and DDR make any significant difference for me given the target use (i.e. pure HTPC)?
    To clarify, I will have SSD, but will SATAI vs SATAII vs SATAIII make any difference? Similar for DDR... It will be DDR3, but will faster ones and/or lower latency make any difference?
    4. GF440 is passively cooled. I would also like to get passive PSU and CPU cooling but I'm worried that it may be too much with no air flow what so ever. What do you think?
    If I choose active cooling for one of components, does it make more sense to do it for CPU or PSU?

Thanks,
    MPM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom