YouTube, Google Video, Live365, Pandora? (1 Viewer)

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I know there has been requests or talk about a pandora plug-in, but what about a YouTube or Google Video plug-in? I think our trailers plug-in was a huge step in the right direction as far as Internet media is concerned. If someone is going to pick up a plug-in like this, it would be nice to know that the users WANT this type of plug-in. If you have any interest in any of these, please post here.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think it shouldn't be a plugin in the sense that MP is showing "My internetmedia" in the home screen, more a plugin as a service to use from other plugins, so a framework to manage grabbing and relaying to another part of MP. This way, it would be possible to list streaming net TV among your TV channels, radio streams among radio, Archive.org (to name but one) would be a share in my movies etc. For some types of content seperate GUI's would be usefull, but I think the menu should reflect the different uses for the end user, not the difference of sources.

Oh, and flash games please :wink: , maybe it is possible to enlarge a flash game to full screen (dunno)

shagster

Portal Member
    July 10, 2006
    United Kindom
    I would love these types of plugin. :D :D

With the amount of internet sources now and in the future I think it is a must!

It does raise the question of how to organise the media sources within media portal and how people would like to organise them as I'm sure there are many different points of view and preferrences.

Not sure if this drifts slightly off topic or if this has been covered before, so please forgive me if it has.

Would it be worth considering allowing users to create their own menu structure in a similar way to a windows start menu? Where users can have folders and shortcuts to plugin or a specific menu item (e.g. recorded tv) or other folders within their menu structure.

e.g. I might like to have my MP set up as follows.

/My TV (plugin in root)
    /Recorded TV (link to plugin menu item)
    /Internet TV (plugin)
    /Internet Videos (folder)
    ----/Google Video (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/YouTube (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/Yahoo Launch (shortcut to plugin)
    /Films (folder)
    ----/My Videos (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/My trailers (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/Shortcut to Internet Videos (shortcut to folder)
    /Music (folder)
    ----/My Music (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/Yahoo Launch (shortcut to plugin)
    ----/Shortcut to Radio Folder (shortcut to folder)
    /Radio (folder)
    ----/FM Radio
    ----/Pandora
    ----/DVB-T Radio
    ----/Shoutcast
    /Games
    ----/Tetris
    ----/Sedoku
    /Shopping
    ----/Amazon

It would be nice to allow integration between certain content like internet TV and MY TV and radio sources, but it would also be nice to allow flexibility for plugin developers to be able to create interfaces designed for specific content sources.

[edit]
    Just thought with the possible depth of the navigation tree it may be worth thinking about adding a breadcrumbs style nav

Also chucked the idea of a shopping menu in at the bottom as a complete asside and very off topic, but why not create some plugins that can generate revenue for the project? I'd buy books through MP on Amazon.
    [/edit]

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    shagster said:
    Would it be worth considering allowing users to create their own menu structure in a similar way to a windows start menu? Where users can have folders and shortcuts to plugin or a specific menu item (e.g. recorded tv) or other folders within their menu structure.

You can do this already - see the Home plugin in the plugins section of MP Configuration.

Sam

clockworx

June 29, 2006
    I was actually starting to look at doing this in plugin form as well, but the issue was that the source I found is in WMV9, and I was hoping to be able to download stuff locally.

I think it would be beneficial to have a more generic framework in place to allow this, something where you provide an address and MP has hooks to view in place or download. When i looked into doing my plugin, it appeared that I was just going to end up duplicating a lot of effort in the trailer plugin.

WMV9 (via MMS) is the other issue, I couldn't find a directshow plugin to play this, so it didn't display in MP. I was able to download the video using wget pro, which supports MMS downloading, and view it with both mplayer and vlc. Unless I transcode the video, I'm not sure how I'd get the downloaded video to play in MP.

I'd be willing to do some of the work on this, but it wouldn't want to waste my time if the project leads aren't interested....anyone have any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom