zap2xml (1 Viewer)

BTJustice

Portal Member
June 10, 2008
zap2xml

Why is this no longer supported by MediaPortal? The program itself works just fine and appears to be much easier to use than WebEPG.

After properly configuring it, all that has to be done is to get the EPG XML created by zap2xml into MediaPortal. Is there some alternative way to do that since the zap2xml plugin is discontinued?

IMO, WebEPG sucks.

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Um, probably because Zap2It labs no longer provides a free listing service. They shut if off quite a few months ago because it was being abused by commercial companies. No Zap2It listing, no zap2xml needed.

Even when it was working, the zap2it plugin was way easier than forcing the listing into the proper XML format, IMO.

When zap2it labs shut off their service, schedulesdirect.org picked up the slack. It's a pay service, but is quite cheap and fully functional. This and the schedules direct plugin are probably the easiest way to get EPG data for MP (in the U.S.)

Milhouse

BTJustice

Portal Member
June 10, 2008
Actually zap2it works just fine and is still free. I have been using it for about a year with zap2xml. I have never paid them a dime. Maybe it is because I use Dish Network :mad:

If it is time to move from zap2it/zap2xml to a different service/program then I would be willing to try, but I really feel no need to pay for it TBH. There are many free services out there such as Yahoo! TV that someone could make an xml grabber for and use it in MediaPortal.

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Is zap2xml just a screen scraper, then? Zap2It labs (providing direct data services) has closed. I know listing are available at zap2it - I use it all the time - but I think that's the only way the data is available. I doubt it has anything with Dish network - I've been using them for many years.

The schedules direct plugin IS very nice, though - I find it much easier to use than the XML stuff. I think it is worth the money (for the listing service, not the plugin).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom