Zoom : adding 'no aspect ratio change' in general settings (1 Viewer)

Would you like to be able to set up the zoom modes you want to use ?

• Total voters

miljbee

Portal Pro
November 11, 2005
Orléans, France
Home Country
France France
Dear MP Team,

i am using mp for a while now. I use it every day to watch TV, video, ...

one thing that annoys me since the beginning is the zoom functionnality ...

i have already requested a progressive zoom, but it seems i am nearly the only one to wish that ... nevermind, things can be improved without a progressive zoom.

Since i am watching different contents, i am constantly changing the zoom mode to have the picture the biggest possible on the screen, i mean limitting to the maximum black area of the screen, but there is something i never use because i find the result awfull, this is the zoom modes that changes the original aspect ratio of the picture.

i understand that this may be usefull in some cases, but most of the users won't have any video with wrong AR. So when changing zoom mode, since it is implemented with only one button, you have to pass each time those mode you never use.

you could have an option in general setup to disable zoom modes that changes aspect ratio. Even better, you could be able to choose which zoom modes you which to use (like for jumps with left/right arrows keys)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I don't think that this is a big deal, as it is a minor annoyance at most. However, I voted yes because there has been a lot of discussion recently about people wanting this or that aspect ratio added into MediaPortal, etc.

So I think that it would be best if the zoom modes were configurable, and you could make up your own in the configuration and give them name, as well as choose which ones you want to appear from a list of defaults (which would satisfy you criteria as well).

Just a simple list with checkbox setup like the Channel Configuration screen would be nice, with all the existing aspect ratios there to check/uncheck and a new button to create new aspect ratios and name them, etc.

marshall

Portal Pro
February 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
A place where you could enable/disable zoom modes in the configuration would also be a good place to include a short description of what each zoom mode does (not all the names are 100% intuitive).

EMKO

Portal Pro
May 4, 2006
i would love this and a way to make your own aspect ratio or something like that so u can minimize the black bars on the bottom and top but still not stretch it too much.

Or maybe have it like xbmc in the osd under the Video menu where u can make your own aspect ratio while watching the video i think it was called pixel size or something. You move the bar to the left and the video takes up less of the screen and you move it to the right it takes up your whole screen widescreen or 4:3.

The last thing would be cool if MP remebers your setteings per video so you dont have to change the aspect ratio everytime you play the video

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
EMKO said:
The last thing would be cool if MP remebers your setteings per video so you dont have to change the aspect ratio everytime you play the video

That is an excellent idea. Could be implemented like the current remember where you last stopped watching information. Also, if you had never played a video before it could take the aspect ratio from the previous video in the folder. Because of folder heirachy and sorting on name, this would usually be correct.

miljbee

Portal Pro
November 11, 2005
Orléans, France
Home Country
France France
i wasn't daring to ask to much, but hey, if everybody could set up his very own zoom modes, this would be really great.

something like :

<ZoomMode>
<ZoomModeName>Zoom 1 (wrong AR)</ZoomModeName>
<XZoom>115%</XZoom>
<YZoom>110%</YZoom>
</ZoomMode>

in zoomModes.xml !

EMKO

Portal Pro
May 4, 2006
miljbee said:
i wasn't daring to ask to much, but hey, if everybody could set up his very own zoom modes, this would be really great.

something like :

<ZoomMode>
<ZoomModeName>Zoom 1 (wrong AR)</ZoomModeName>
<XZoom>115%</XZoom>
<YZoom>110%</YZoom>
</ZoomMode>

in zoomModes.xml !

that would great but instead of text it would be in the config app
and maybe they could add a preview of what the aspect ratio would look like. Like u choose witch type you have like a 4:3 then when u move the Percentages it shows how much it would take up

but yea it would be great to make your own aspect ratio some how and remove the ones you dont want

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom