VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe this can save you some time.

When I was trying to load the OS on the Zotac I could not get that done using a USB stick. Some Google search showed I was not the only one having that problem. I then created a bootable XP SP3 installation SD card instead which worked flawlessly :D.

VdR

orph

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So... I got it today.. installation wasn't an issue, in fact, I used a USB stick and it worked just fine.

Mostly everything is working, but for the life of me, I cannot get xvids to work (with Dolby sound).. xvid with AAC works fine, but DD won't work. I have it going straight thru HDMI. I tried SAF 4 and 5... and just FFdshow. It seems to be pushing SPDIF, while the AAC xvids pushes to PCM.

What are your codec settings set to?

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    That's interesting about the USB ... mine never looked at the USB to boot from, maybe meanwhile solved.

codecs; well I don't use divx and I don't use the HDMI for sound so I'm not sure this helps much.

I use the default MP codecs as much as possible. That is:

Video Codecs: MPEG / AC3 audio decoder => MPC - MPA Decoder filter (with pass through of DD and DTS to S/PDIF)
    AAC audio decoder => MONOGRAM AAC Decoder

DVD Codecs: DVD Audio Decoder => MPC - MPA Decoder filter (with pass through of DD and DTS to S/PDIF)

I have content as .AVI, .MKV, DVD folder and BluRay folder, never fails.

What OS are you running? I'm curious if it can deal with W7 (for MP2).

Good luck.

VdR

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So... I got it today.. installation wasn't an issue, in fact, I used a USB stick and it worked just fine.

Mostly everything is working, but for the life of me, I cannot get xvids to work (with Dolby sound).. xvid with AAC works fine, but DD won't work. I have it going straight thru HDMI. I tried SAF 4 and 5... and just FFdshow. It seems to be pushing SPDIF, while the AAC xvids pushes to PCM.

What are your codec settings set to?

Like VdR, I dont use the HDMI audio on my two Zotac machines. BUT, after I got bitstreaming working on my server (thanks BMan!) I just use the same instructions on my clients. The only difference is I dont set ffdshow to passthrough. I found BMans solution to be MUCH better than the SAF solutions. It is much lighter... you only install FFDShow and the MPC Stand alone filters.

See the attached document created by BMan...

Wile E.

Attachments

• Media Portal Bitstreaming with ATI5000.pdf
      1 MB

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What OS are you running? I'm curious if it can deal with W7 (for MP2).

Hey VdR,
    Im running Windows 7 Home Premium on both of my Zotac's and they run fine. Moving Pictures can take a few seconds to load, but other than that it is very responsive.

Wile E.

orph

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 8, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    After playing around late last night... I got it working. The problem is with the HDMI Drivers I suspect (or the TV) not supporting Dolby Digital or DTS thru HDMI. Only supports 2 channels of audio. I read up on other sites other people have that problem.

That said, I used SAF anyways, with FFdshow enabling pass-thru and Mixer to 2Channel Stereo, then disabling passthru, while keeping PCM.

While MPC-MPA audio codec worked when using Stereo and not SPDIF (yes, thru HDMI... weird huh?) the reason I kept SAF is cause, while playing around yesterday, after uninstalling SAF, I had trouble playing some Online Video streams and RadioTime streams (specifically MP3 streams) I'll look at bitstream and give it a shot.

As for video... works great using Microsoft DTV-DVD... lower CPU usage than both FFdshow and FFdshow DXVA. I was streaming 720p via Wifi beautifully... that said, the router is 3ft away currently (1080 was a no go... wirelessly that is). I'm currently looking at PowerLine ethernet for my long distances.

As for moving picture, I thought it loaded quickly (avoiding categories). I'm using Maya skin because it's one of the more simple skins. I find anything with FanArt to slow the UI way down.

BTW, I am using Windows 7 32bit.

As for USB boot.. I used this utility to make the boot disc:

A Bootable USB: Utility to Create Bootable USB Drive to Install Windows Vista, Server 2008 and 7 - Tweaking with Vishal

Thanks for your help guys. And great suggestion for an inexpensive little box. So far I'm quite impressed by it. A good wifi antenna and IR receiver built-in would make this thing just phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom