DVB-IP MediaPortal IPTV Source Filter (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marin Bernard

June 16, 2013
Home Country
France France
Hi,

I'm using MediaPortal 1.3.0 on Windows 8 (Fresh Install). I've been struggling for days to get IPTV working, using the patched DVB-IP filter. I did not succeed because of a big network issue.

My ISP allows its clients to watch TV over IP with an m3u playlist. The playlist points to RTSP streams. Here is what the beginning of the playlist looks like:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,2 - France 2 HD
rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=201&flavour=hd
#EXTINF:0,2 - France 2
rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=201&flavour=sd
#EXTINF:0,2 - France 2 (bas débit)
rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=201&flavour=ld
#EXTINF:0,3 - France 3 HD
rtsp://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=202&flavour=hd

The MediaPortal machine is behind a NAT router, which is already configured to forward several UDP ports to my machine's IP address. VLC is able to stream Live TV on the same machine, but I first needed to assign a specific port for UDP traffic in the program preferences.

By default, VLC receives RTSP video streams on random UDP ports. This default setting does not work on my machine, since my router only forwards traffic on specific, static UDP ports. The reason for that is I want to be able to play TV streams on more than one machine at a time. I could have redirected a big UDP port range to the MediaPortal machine, but these ports would have become unusable for other clients.

When I launch an IPTV stream scan in MediaPortal TV Server Configuration, I get nothing but connection errors, and this is logical : in the firewall logs, I clearly see the remote server trying to stream an a random UDP port of my firewall, and that port is not open. RTSP connection (on port 554) seems to work fine, though.

My question is simple : is there a way to make DVB-IP use a specific UDP port for stream reception, like with VLC ? I already tried to modifiy the RtspUdpPortRangeStart and RtspUdpPortRangeEnd parameters in the MPIPTVSource.ini config file, without success. In fact, I don't exactly know if these settings deal with UDP reception end port or RTSP negotiation source port. The config file is in the good place (ProgramData etc.) and I restarted the service after each modification.

Many many thanks for your help!

Marin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Marin

RTSP reception is a little complex. My understanding is that the Live555 library used by the IPTV RTSP plugin receives the RTP stream using a random port. That stream is transferred to a UDP port specified by the configuration parameters that you found.

I think what you're asking for is currently not possible... however, you could try the attached RTSP plugin. Use the "RtspRtpClientPort" parameter in the RTSP section to specify your port. The port number should be an even number, and the next port number should also be available for use as the RTCP port. Obviously this can't work for receiving more than one stream. It is just a test for now...

mm

[edit: patch deleted because no feedback provided]

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Yes, exactly !
    Oops, i mistake only Radio need to have this format
    Code:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:0,Chérie FM
    C:|url=RTSP://mafreebox.freebox.fr/fbxtv_pub/stream?namespace=1&service=100004|KeepPidValue=1005
    MM1352000 : you are rigth

Last edited:

Marin Bernard

June 16, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    @azzuro
    No, that's not for the radio channels ; that's for the TV channels! I didn't test the radio.

@mm
    Thank you! It's working fine with the new library + the config parameter. MediaPortal is scanning the playlist right now, without error. Do you think there is a chance for this to be implemented in the next versions, possibly with a port-range option ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you! It's working fine with the new library + the config parameter. MediaPortal is scanning the playlist right now, without error.
    That's great! :D

Do you think there is a chance for this to be implemented in the next versions, possibly with a port-range option ?
    That decision is up to @georgius. I have attached the patch that I created...

[edit: patch deleted because no feedback provided]

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm1352000, can you commit patch to branch? Then I'll update libraries in first post.
    I think we should find a way to support multiple tuners/channels with this patch before we commit. So instead of just specifying "RtspRtpClientPort" we need a range. Problem is: how to avoid using ports that are already in use for another tuner instance? I don't know how to do that.

PS: for this problem...
    As you can see, they are specifying one RTP stream "video" with dynamic payload format that is MP2T.
    But still, the actual RTP packets should have payload format 96, not 33.

So this device seems to be non-compliant for RTSP/RTP.
    The manufacturers will investigate whether it is possible to fix the problem from their side.
    The device manufacturer will fix the problem from their side with a new firmware. :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Marin Bernard
    Could you please try the attached version. It should allow you to receive multiple channels (using multiple tuner instances).
    The parameter names to use have changed to:
    RtspRtpClientPortRangeStart
    RtspRtpClientPortRangeEnd

As before, RtspRtpClientPortRangeStart should be zero or an even number.
    If zero, live555 will chose a random port.

If non-zero, the RTSP plugin will try every second port until it finds a free port. For example, if RtspRtpClientPortRangeStart is 40000, the plugin will try ports 40000, 40002, 40004 etc. until a free port is found. The next port must also be free for use as the RTCP port (but this is not checked).

Does this make sense?

[edit: patch deleted because nobody provided feedback]

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom