Include MPEI package for all plugins instead of DLLs (1 Viewer)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @ltfearme
    Why you don't include MPEI for all plugins instead of dll ?
    We can't manage Update / uninstall (by MPII & Extensions plugins ) for each plugins

Last edited by a moderator:

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    It's planned down the track.

IMO I think it's best for users of the skin to have the skin update the plugins as the skin knows what is compatible not MPEI. This will be one of the down sides of moving to MPEI released packages as users will just upgrade without thinking to check if the skin supports the latest changes....but hey people want MPEI.

I understand that there is not always breaking changes so it will definitely be good for that scenario, at the end of the day there is nothing stopping power users installing MPEI packages on top of the existing libraries. The MSI installer is intelligent enough not to overwrite newer files it also has the concept of shared files which we need and MPEI does not support/recognize.

One of the main reasons we chose to embed the DLL libraries of the most popular plugins several years ago was to minimize the impact of users reporting issues with plugins that are not compatible...I think it has largely been a success, but time and again people have been asking for this (mind you only a few users and non-users!).

Anyway hopefully this issue of skin/plugin compatibility can be resolved in MPEI in the future. I may try to make the next version of the skin a FULL MPEI package with linked MPEI packages for popular plugins.

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I quite like it they way it is personally, Happy in the knowledge that when a new version of the skin package is released everything is going to work.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think the current situation suits noob users because they don't have to do anything or worry about anything.

Power users are fine here as well because they will be fine with installing and updating the plugins via MPEI, if they update a plugin via MPEI and there is a problem with streamedMP then a power user will know what to do (a noob user would just throw their toys and give up).

Users who are viewing this thread