[News] MediaPortal 1.3.0 Alpha Released (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Great work, and thx for this!
    Have not had time to test it much, but i have noticed one thing about genres.
    I run multiseat and configure genres for tv on the server, and then copy the section to the client's MediaPortal.xml, but as soon as i start up MP on the client it overwrites the changes i made and the genremap section is back to default. If i however copy the entire MediaPortal,xml from the server to the client it stays put. So there must be something more in the config file that needs to be copied, but i just cant find it :(
    Feel free to either start an bug report https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/mp-1-3-0-alpha.549/
    Or a new thread in the skin feedback (which seems more fitting for this question) https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/mediaportal-default-skin-feedback.541/

yoavain

Extension Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Is there anywhere a skin/extensions compatibility table? (which support only 1.1.x, which support 1.2.x and which support 1.3.x)

If not, I think there should be one, preferably maintained by devs and users.
    A centralized wiki page can be a good place for that, as long as it is being mentioned in a pinned forum subject. Or maybe under "Plugins & Skins" in the main page, as long as it is editable by users.
    People should know what functionality the're about to lose/gain when upgrading their MP...

Nicoolai

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Awesome guys, but I must ask, since I didn't see it in the TVServer changelog.
    Has the duplicate recordings issue been fixed? Where it would record episodes of series, more than once.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/preventing-duplicate-recordings.99297/
    As you can see in mantis, the issue is scheduled to be fixed in 1.3.0 beta (Target Version)
    http://mantis.team-mediaportal.com/view.php?id=3736
    Excellent, thank you. I did not know about this mantis.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there anywhere a skin/extensions compatibility table? (which support only 1.1.x, which support 1.2.x and which support 1.3.x)

If not, I think there should be one, preferably maintained by devs and users.
    A centralized wiki page can be a good place for that, as long as it is being mentioned in a pinned forum subject. Or maybe under "Plugins & Skins" in the main page, as long as it is editable by users.
    People should know what functionality the're about to lose/gain when upgrading their MP...

Why not just use the MediaPortal extensions installer? It will only install compatible skins/plugins, so you'll know your favorite skin is compatile when it shows up there. Same for plugins.

You may need to click on 'download online update info' periodically to refresh its list.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As the news says. Before you install/upgrade - contact the extension authors/visit their forum threads if they have an 1.3.0 ALPHA test version.

But because we talk about Alpha Software here, the community has to understand that the extension authors need time to adapt.
    Their focus will understandably be on supporting the 1.2.3 current stable version of MP and it's users.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thank you for the awesome work!

just i would like to share i thought about MP Audio Render:
    IMHO that is wasted time, reencode audio ( in fact make worse quality ) to get smooth playback is a terrible choice .
    Would be better if you guys spent that time in fixing the video rendering code to get video smooth without the need to re-encode audio as other dev teams did.

sorry for be so critic , but it is just my opionion

thank you again and bye

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

IMHO that is wasted time, reencode audio ( in fact make worse quality ) to get smooth playback is a terrible choice .
    Would be better if you guys spent that time in fixing the video rendering code to get video smooth without the need to re-encode audio as other dev teams did.

thank you again and bye

Thanks for your opinion. Clearly you know better than our experienced development team who really understand the issues. I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you think they have wasted their valuable time. Hey, it's a good job we weren't actually paying them for this.

Did you actually try it?

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, you have to understand the purpose of MPAR first.

It is not meant to provide lossless quality (even though I can really not hear any difference in audio quality at all between MPAR and bitstreaming with my 5.1 setup / Onkyo AV-Receiver).
    It is meant to fix the video stuttering issues many users experience which can be caused by crappy hardware clocks, mismatch between video FPS and display refreshrate (most common cause), etc.
    These issues you can only fix by adjusting the audio, and you can not adjust a bitstream.

Bottomline is that many users including myselfe are very happy with the results MPAR provides because we finally have absolutelly smooth video playback which no other HTPC software is able to provide in that way (at least for me ;) ), and so I do not agree at all the it is a waste of time.
    MPAR is not the only nor the default audio renderer in MediaPortal. So we are not forcing it on our users. Everyone can decide on his own if he wants to take use of it or not.

Last edited:

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

thank you again and bye

Which other dev teams are you refering to? And then again.. why there even exists ReClock?
    I know our devs (mainly one) have spent A LOT of time to make this happen and they did an awsome job. Hopefully they will continue their great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom