My small contribution I call - StreamTV (1 Viewer)

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
I wouldn't bother with the beta release right now, i've found a few issues that need to be fixed or i've fixed already but I still haven't got it right.

There is a off chance it will work for you but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you click the title the link is wrong (TimeShift is written with a lower case s and the server is case sensitive). I'll change this but the link below the title should be right.

Also it seems that there is a issue with connections outside the localhost machine. I haven't figured out exactly the cause yet but hopefully its minor.

There is one other problem but a little complex to explain in a post but i'm not sure if its my test machine or not.

Anyway still feel free to try your luck but i'd probably stick to the non-beta now until I do another release.

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
Well able to test again so I did a bit more work.

I have the new timeshifting module working but transcoding seems to be more trouble then I expected. The vlc command line can change ALOT between the types of output you want so I think i'll have to change the approach I was hoping to go with.

Also if anyone can give me a list of good settings to use for transcoding i'd be more then interested.

I'm after something like:
":sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV,acodec=MP3,vb=800,ab=128,deinterlace}:standard{access=http,mux=wmv,dst=<hostname>:<port>/<filename>.<extension>}"

I have no idea if what I wrote there will work, it was just something I came up with off the top of my head but i'm sure anyone who can help will get the idea.

I might hold off on transcoding for now and just get radio going (I have no idea what is involved with that yet) then do a update since I think that won't require a major redesign of the gui.

Oh as for connecting from other computers the current version you will probably have a hard time with, it is fixed in the new version. Also I found that windows firewall was half the battle in getting streaming to other computers going.

If people are interested in this fix so they can stream to other computers besides the localhost leave a message and I might do a quick release otherwise i'll wait until I finish a feature or two more.

Mr.Montesa

Portal Pro
August 9, 2006
Hessen
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey Valk,
cool Plugin. Great idea of managing the streaming. I just gave it a try.
Here some things from user perspective.
- Changed port to 8181 but plugin config in TVserver still sais 8080 greyed out.
- Link beside that still directs to RSS on port 8080 (just for convenience, would be nice to have an updated link and config
- my 200 channels are all on one page (unbrowseable - never find my desired channel (would be cool to have a grouping functionality)
e.g. the link could direct to the groups: /TvServer/mychannelgroup1.rss and /TvServer/mychannelgroup2.rss
- iirc images can be implemented to rss feeds. Would be coo, to see the logos
- and last but not least I cant get a streaming output. Perhaps a missconfiguration RSS feed is displaying "disabled!" What does that mean?
On clicking the link, TVserver starts to timeshift the desired channel, but nothing happens. All firewalls disabled, internal WLAN-G.
And whats the purpose of media-file attached to each entry?

Greets

Attachments

• streamtv_disabled.JPG
    streamtv_disabled.JPG
    6.8 KB

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
Alot of those problems are fixed in the new version which I haven't released.
Code:
- The problem with the port can be fixed if you manually edit the xml (the update fixes this).
- The first link (title) I believe is wrong (the letter case is wrong in the link) but the link TimeShift.ts below it is correct.
- The output is a RSS feed, it wasn't ment to be used in a browser to search through and click on a link though a few people are looking for some nice
frontend for this plugin so I might write something up (make it a template system).
Due to the simplicity of the channel listing for now (since I only have about 15 channels)  I didn't have a concern with grouping but i'll look into it.
- I added the xml element in the latest version for the icons but I haven't dug into the TvServer yet to dig up where the images are stored so give me time
to work on that.
- As for where it says "disabled!" that is where the description of what is playing is ment to go, sadly when I just tried to take whatever was stored in the
program information I got a exception error so for now that is disabled until I look closer at it.
- And finally that last point has been fixed also, there was a problem with connecting on remote computers which I didn't notice (curse of building and testing on
the same computer) but that has been fixed also.
Since it seems people don't really pay much attention to later posts I might just do a update with what i've got tonight to fix alot of the teething issues it has that I really should of fixed before I put it out there (sorry).

Since i'll do a release later i'll add this small point, transcoding is enabled in code and it will try to transcode but I can see people having issues if they can get it working.
Transcoding isn't a complete feature yet, it will require a major overhaul (GUI and code) to get working fully.
If you don't know what your doing just disable the check box for transcoding and the streaming options and hit save, it will go back to the default.
Finally to make settings changes take effect you have to restart the TvServer.

Also restart the TvServer it after you turn the plugin on.

I hope that answers all your questions for now and thanks for the reply.

Mr.Montesa

Portal Pro
August 9, 2006
Hessen
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey Valk,
many thanks for your update. I think editing your first post and add the new stuff is important for the users/readers.
To have all info in the same place.
The possibility to disable the transcoding stuff is a good idea. Testing the best configuration is a good task for the community.
No need for you to test every single scenario. The community can report back in this thread what are the best settings for streaming.

Second, a short howto would be cool. What has to be done, to get streaming to work. Especially when installation was successful. Do I have to start VLC manually, etc?

BR

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
Well the update is out now.

As for how to get it going short of copying the files and turning the plugin on in the TvServer and then restarting the rest should sort itself out (I tried to make that as painless as possible).

I try to keep the main post updated as you can probably see now i've re-written quite a bit of it. Hopefully its easier to follow (i'll add the explaination of how to turn on the plugin also).

As long as you use the installer for VLC and its past version 0.9.x then it should detect in the registery where VLC is installed and run fine.

Anyway time to update the main post a little more, thanks for the input.

Mr.Montesa

Portal Pro
August 9, 2006
Hessen
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hey VAlk,
some questions:
Do I have to install .NET 3.5 on the client too? And do I have to install MP SVN for your latest release of StreamTV?
Second I do get an error while saving changed values in the plugin. TVserver GUI crashes and disappears. Check attachment for info.
greets

Attachments

• streamTV_error.jpg
    streamTV_error.jpg
    56.7 KB

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
You only need the .Net 3.5 Framework on the computer running the TvServer, clients don't require it.

And yes you need to run the MP SVN, that would be why your getting that error. The links and information should all be in the first post.

Valk

Portal Pro
February 25, 2006
Home Country
Australia Australia
I guess I should of waited a day before I updated the plugin. I fixed all the disabled messages, now it shows the current show title or blank if no epg data was there.

Sadly for now I will skip channel icon support due to mediaportal referring to the client install to get icons. Later I might try to find a way to detect if the mediaportal client is installed and grab the icons then otherwise have a local cache in the StreamTv Folder and a config file to tag along.

Anyway next step is radio channel support.

Once that is done I'll work on the GUI and add then group support since that seems to be the next big issue for some people with an insane number of tv channels to pick from.

After that I'll add xslt support so you can register your own file extensions and the associated xslt file to use to transform the output for the client. The xml won't change much from what is there now so if you want to get a early start on designing a template go right ahead and post them up (just make a zip with the xslt file called the template name . extension . xslt eg. default.http.xslt and put it in a folder called templates. For images put them in a folder images\<template name>\ . The image url reference should be: images\<template name>\

If we get a few good ones people like, I might add this feature earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom