[TV] North American Closed Captions (3 Viewers)

xvffx

Portal Pro
August 15, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
quick question:
would a recorded TS be any different from one version to another? I'm still using MP 1.4 and wondering if I should test and submit recordings from it.
Im worried that a version would not included CC and would be useless to test with.

Vff

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    would a recorded TS be any different from one version to another?
    Possibly, yes.

I'm still using MP 1.4 and wondering if I should test and submit recordings from it.
    Im worried that a version would not included CC and would be useless to test with.
    Whether the recording contains CC would depend on the CC format... because there is not just one format.

For example, there is EIA-608 - an older standard where the CC data is transmitted in the analog video vertical blanking interval. I'm not 100% sure if this standard is applicable for digital broadcasts or not. Recordings may or may not contain this CC data.
    Then there is CEA/EIA-708 - the standard for "modern" digital ATSC over-the-air transmissions. The CC data is embedded in the video stream. Recordings should contain this CC data.
    There's also SCTE 27, which carries CC/subtitle data in a separate data sub-stream. I'm not sure how widely used this standard is, but recordings will not contain this CC data.

There are possibly other formats/standards too...

Can you describe your TV source?
    In other words, do you receive clear QAM cable TV... or over-the-air ATSC TV... or something else?

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    hi mm
    My EIA-708 source is FTA ATSC. (HD)
    My EIA-608 source is FTA ATSC. (SD)
    will test with OTA HD when I get the card.

looks like the h264/MP4 AVC are the standard format for HD TS

EDIT: software to extract cc (http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/)

I have just extracted CC from our TS recording (mp 1.4) which means that CC is there. (good news)
    I'll send a note to medialooks and ask why with their program was unable to display CC and maybe "just" maybe they can have a solution for us.

a MLCC core parser? :)

Vff

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the response... but to be honest I find your post a bit confusing.

My EIA-708 source is FTA ATSC. (HD)
    My EIA-608 source is FTA ATSC. (SD)
    AFAIK normally ATSC would use CEA-708. Availability and type of CC can and does vary from channel to channel and/or provider to provider. If you really do have different types of CC for SD and HD then I think that would be coincidence.

will test with OTA HD when I get the card.
    I really don't understand what you mean by this. :confused:
    ATSC is ATSC. Any ATSC tuner can tune and receive both SD and HD channels.

looks like the h264/MP4 AVC are the standard format for HD TS
    Again, that isn't my understanding.
    While it is possible for ATSC transmissions to use h.264/AVC, my understanding is that the majority of transmissions are still MPEG 2. That's regardless of whether the channel is SD or HD.

Perhaps we should step back a bit and just verify what you really have going on there.
    Could you please post some logs showing an attempt to play any recording that you know has CC. Please be sure to use the watchdog/debug-mode tool:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I agree with mm's comments, but also I might take a look at updating (or adding to TsReader) some H.264 CC parsing capability (no promises to implement it though at this stage !)

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi mm and owlsroost
    Thanks for your interest and sorry for some confusions ( I think I'm the one who is confused)
    I ll submit the log after work today.

I had always assumed 608 cc only worked with SD (line 21 was only for SD) however I forgot that I was able to view cc in a HD mpeg2. Way back I was able to view cc in hd from 1 provider and not the other. ( it made me believed that one was digital or mpeg4) thinking I will require 708 cc parser. Now that I get no cc from any of the provider s cc in hd but I can in SD. I just thought that both provider is broadcasting hd differently but SD which works with core cc parser.

Currently I'm only able to view cc in mpeg2 hd (I have to verify that) is this what owlsroost is stating that it may be "turned off" and which is why no cc in hd h264?

Thanks for looking into this
    Vff

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Been trying for awhile to generate a bug report (getting a exception JIT error) while I get that shorted out here is a little update.

I looked at the screen info of TS playing in live tv.....
    4898 (mpeg2) (SD with cc working)
    4642 (h264) (HD with cc not working)
    Looking at a recorded TS ... From way way back shows 720 (cc is working)
    Looking at today's recording it says 1080 mpeg4/h264 (cc is not working)
    I may provide some gragh tonight.

Kind regards
    Vff

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,
    here's the log file
    I've tested it with 3 TS recordings (1st was with and old recording way back MPEG2 HD, both second and 3rd are recent recordings in H264 MP4 HD)

Regards
    Vff

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can someone please point me at (or upload them) some short ATSC sample recordings with CC ?

I need an SD MPEG2 and HD MPEG2 sample that work in MP using and a screen cap of the working filtergraphs from GraphStudio.

I don't have PowerDVD installed, so a filtergraph that doesn't use this is preferable i.e. can FFDShow video decoder be used to decode the MPEG2 video and render the CC ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can someone please point me at (or upload them) some short ATSC sample recordings with CC ?
    Sorry I don't have any samples.

I don't have PowerDVD installed, so a filtergraph that doesn't use this is preferable i.e. can FFDShow video decoder be used to decode the MPEG2 video and render the CC ?
    Yeah, greybox says that ffdshow works best for him. From memory, I think the MS DTV-DVD codec works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom