[Plugin] Sense 0.2 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect) (1 Viewer)

seppi2204

Portal Pro
December 8, 2010
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: [Plugin] Sense 0.1.0 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect)

Maybe it's possible to implement a acceleration detection (how fast was your hand moving?) and if it was really fast it scrolls not only one step further but also three or four. Maybe it could give the user a feeling that the menu entries are sliding away ;-)
[I think, as it's the usual way of scrolling on Android or IOS Users would cope with it, very fast]

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: [Plugin] Sense 0.1.0 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect)

I will first package release 0.2 now and then start working on your suggestions for 0.3 ;)

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    NEW RELEASE: Sense 0.2 alpha!

Please note that this release almost complete changes the controls used in 0.1.
    I also added a custom sound pack you can put in your skin directory or you can use your own sounds.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Armandp,

I just watched your youtube video. It looks very good. :) Gives me a reason to buy this Kinect stuff as well. Got a high tweaker-score (nerdy) :) Me like.

From what I saw in the video, the motion detection isnt realy tolerant towards the guestures. Sometimes it is sensative resulting in incorrect gestures, and sometimes not responsive (that could be a delay effect ofcourse). Ofcourse the Sense plugin is still at 0.2 alpha status, so I could be jumping the gun here. But in your opinion, will this be getting more solid in the future releases?

I was thinking about ways to improve this handling. Are there ways to make the engine behind it 'smarter'? Like maybe it can learn from your previous behaviour/waves. Maybe calibrate it befor you use it... and start learning from then on.
    I have a kind of a vision with this, like I saw in the movie Avatar in the spaceship/building. Swiping and pulling in front of the screen. Very intuitive. :)

Dont get me wrong, I really think this is promising and I like it. Just putting in text what I think about what I saw. Thank you for this.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I also want to ask you about reading distance for Kinect control. My sofa is 5 meters from TV set and I would like to know if this does change anything in usability of this stuff.
    Thx, kesar

alexchini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 30, 2006
    Venice
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Really promising work!
    Furthermore for that i can see on the PrimeSense site all the tecnology is made for work with other sensors too

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    From what I saw in the video, the motion detection isnt realy tolerant towards the guestures. Sometimes it is sensative resulting in incorrect gestures, and sometimes not responsive (that could be a delay effect ofcourse). Ofcourse the Sense plugin is still at 0.2 alpha status, so I could be jumping the gun here. But in your opinion, will this be getting more solid in the future releases?

Definately.. just barely touched the surface with the current state of the plugin. Lots of tweaking and fine tuning ahead :p

I was thinking about ways to improve this handling. Are there ways to make the engine behind it 'smarter'? Like maybe it can learn from your previous behaviour/waves. Maybe calibrate it befor you use it... and start learning from then on.
    I have a kind of a vision with this, like I saw in the movie Avatar in the spaceship/building. Swiping and pulling in front of the screen. Very intuitive. :)

I think this will be possible with the correct software yes :) There are currently A LOT of other projects with videos on YouTube using the same framework check them out and be amazed :)

I also want to ask you about reading distance for Kinect control. My sofa is 5 meters from TV set and I would like to know if this does change anything in usability of this stuff.
    Thx, kesar

at 5 meters you should be able to get registered but ofcourse you have to try it out for yourself to be sure.

wikipedia:
    The Kinect sensor has a practical ranging limit of 1.2–3.5 metres (3.9–11 ft) distance when used with the Xbox software. The area required to play Kinect is roughly 6m², although the sensor can maintain tracking through an extended range of approximately 0.7–6 metres (2.3–20 ft). The sensor has an angular field of view of 57° horizontally and 43° vertically, while the motorized pivot is capable of tilting the sensor up to 27° either up or down. The microphone array features four microphone capsules[35] and operates with each channel processing 16-bit audio at a sampling rate of 16 kHz.[33]

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    Would it be possible to have something like a context sensitive control overlay? Like when you do a specific gesture a circle with possible controls / screens pops up and you can select an option via waving your had (kinda roulettelike)?

That would be awesome. Looks like i really need to buy a kinect camera (-; nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom