[Plugin] Sense 0.2 Alpha (control MediaPortal using Kinect) (1 Viewer)

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    armandp: You might wanna have a look at this post: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/remotes-116/kinemote-now-supports-mediaportal-91311/

Think this one is going to be great! :)

Yeah it looks cool, they use the original directional control scheme i had in Sense 0.1. I actually discussed this back then with one of their devs. The only downside currently (looking at usage in MediaPortal) is the global keymapping - that's nice up until you want do do something application(+context) specific tho so i think there will still be a place for this plugin. I know MediaPortal already supports using the same keys in different context but that's not flexible enough. I will keep an eye on that project just to check whether it still viable for me to continue with this plugin ;)

Would it be possible to have something like a context sensitive control overlay? Like when you do a specific gesture a circle with possible controls / screens pops up and you can select an option via waving your had (kinda roulettelike)?

Possibly yes ;) this would require some new GUIControls to be added to MediaPortal but it is certainly doable ;)
    I was also thinking about making the controls specific (or dumbed down) to the type of window/dialog (and available elements) that are active.

alexchini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 30, 2006
    Venice
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    ‘Kinect’ for PCs being developed - BBC News - ?Kinect? for PCs being developed
    interesting.... this seems will be the stuff asus have develop with primesense, its a complete entertaiment system, or at least seems so, compose of 2 parts a wireless station and the sensor, not clear if they will sell separated. The sensor work between 0,8 and 3,5 meters a bit different of kinect.
    News said that it will be on marked in the second third of this year.
    ASUS and PrimeSense Wavi Xtion and Xtion Pro press images - Engadget Galleries

JamesClem

Portal Member
    June 19, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is this project still ongoing then? I've just bought a Kinect, already bored of having it with the Xbox so going to try it with MediaPortal tonight. Hope the project is still alive.

JamesClem

Portal Member
    June 19, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Pardon my stupidity but do you mean that you're waiting for the OpenNI to progress? I'm a little confused. Anyways a bit of feedback about the plugin.

Spot on, does exactly what you have said/shown it can do. Looking forward to further development, if there's anything I can help with in terms of testing i'd be more than happy to help.

Even the other half was impressed about being able to lie on the sofa and change songs by moving your arms :D

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I must admit I haven't been staying up to date on the latest developments regarding the kinect drivers.
    Further development is still in the pipeline but i have not seen official kinect drivers yet. I will release a 1.2b compatible version of this plugin in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom