Schedules Direct US/Canadian/Mexico EPG Plugin (Updated August 2010) (2 Viewers)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I tried the etc\hosts change, works on my test system. If you do this you should use "TVconfig > Export" to export your channels, groups, schedules etc. Just in case you have a technical difficulty and need to delete all channels then use import to recover.

After modifying etc\hosts, I also opened a cmd.exe window, typed "ipconfig /flushdns" (no quotes) to clear all windows DNS mapping to make sure SD plugin does not use the old DNS mapping info and uses the fixed IP addr in the hosts file.

EDIT: I also put a bad IP addr in the hosts files, confirmed that SD-plugin sees an error when I did a forced update

Last edited:

sjevtic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Home Country
    Scott,

Great job finding that--and don't give me too much credit because I only found mention of it, not the actual article describing it. :)

I will test as soon as I can and let you know about my results.

Sasha

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    A followup on the etc\hosts and pending SD changes. After more testing I noticed my ATSC channel numbers were changed even though I disabled all of the "modify" options in the SD plugin config advanced settings, see below

[2014-10-15 13:44:17,402] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Starting EPG refresh job on thread #5
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,402] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - UTC time is 10/15/2014 8:44:17 PM, local time is 10/15/2014 1:44:17 PM (DST is True)
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,417] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Rename Existing Channels is set to: False, with Template: {number} {callsign}.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,417] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Add New Digital Channels is set to: False, with External Input: SvhsInput1.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,433] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Add New Digital Channels is set to: False, with External Audio Input: SPDIFInput1.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,433] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Add New Digital Channels Country is set to: United States.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,433] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Add New Analog Channels is set to: False, with External Input: SvhsInput1.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,449] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Add New Analog Channels is set to: False, with External Input: SPDIFInput1.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,449] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Channel Sorting is set to: False.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,449] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Allow Channel Matching without Frequency is set to: False.
    [2014-10-15 13:44:17,464] [Log ] [SchedulesDirect EPG Client] [INFO ] - Delete Channels with No EPG Mapping is set to: False.

when SD runs my MePo scanned ATSC channel numbers are changed and the "subchannel" info is removed. for example
    9001 changes to 9, KQED-HD
    9002 changes to 9, KQED+
    9003 changes to 9, WORLD
    this happens for all of my ATSC channel numbers, looking at the log files I can see SD is detecting/matching channels based on the ATSC major/minor numbers. not sure why/how the ATSC channel numbers are changed. I don't normally use channel numbers, typically use full EPG or mini-EPG to change channels but this may cause a problem for other people.

With consulting help from the Orcale Of Google, I figured out how to get a copy of the SD-plugin source, put in minor changes to use the new "legacy data source" http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService and build a new SchedulesDirectPluginTVE3.dll, Also changed version to 1.3.0.2. This also shows the same ATSC channel number changes. Did 3 sets of tests

Standard SD plugin, ver=1.3.0.1, no etc\host changes, no changes to ATSC channel numbers
    Standard SD plugin, ver=1.3.0.1, with etc\host change to use IP=54.85.117.227, ATSC channels numbers modified
    Modified SD plugin, ver=1.3.0.2, no etc\host changes, ATSC channels numbers modified

Did this 2-3 times, something in the new/legacy data download causes channel number changes in both SD plugins. The channel number changes show up in both the MePo Client and the TvServerConfig program, but changed channel numbers do not seem to show up when I export the channels, very confused how this happens. I will look at the source code tomorrow to see if I can understand this. I've never looked at C# code, hardware silicon-chip design guy.

For testing did a fresh scan, setup channels/groups, export channels to export_20141015_freshscan.xml. For each test, switch SD-plugin and hosts file, delete all channels, import export_20141015_freshscan.xml, stop/start TvServer to trigger new SD download EPG update.

see zipfile for logs, channel exports

SD1301.PNG, shows what I see with SD1.3.0.1 no etc\hosts changes "correct numbers", this is actually from a different system but shows same numbers
    SD1302.PNG, shows what I see with modified SD1.3.0.2 no etc\host changes or SD1.3.0.1 with etc\host change, "modified ATSC channels"

Attachments

• SD1301.PNG
      SD1301.PNG
      544.7 KB
    • SD1302.PNG
      SD1302.PNG
      548 KB
    • SDtest1.zip
      51.8 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm....

...but changed channel numbers do not seem to show up when I export the channels, very confused how this happens.
    To me this suggests that the problem has nothing to do with the SD plugin and everything to do with a bug in MP or TV Server. Are you 100% certain that the problem persists after reopening MP and/or TV Server configuration?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, I can't explain how the exports would not show the updates, but I wonder: are you using the tweaked SD plugin that I provided here?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-numbering-changes.124291/page-2#post-1071392

The default SD plugin code does change the channel numbers even when rename all modify options are not ticked. My modification - which has not been accepted, by the looks of it - was to only update channel numbers if renaming is enabled.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    there were no real C# code changes, looked for where SD-plugin opened "web pages" to get data, copy/paste the 1 line in 2 places, comment out line with old string, put in new string in pasted line of code. Any fool could do this, even me.

Are you 100% certain that the problem persists after reopening MP and/or TV Server configuration?

I'm not 100% sure of anything, once the channel numbers are changed, stop/start server, see same problem, open/close MePoClient or TvServerConfig, see same problem. Switch host files to add/remove fixed IP addr, problem comes/goes, switch between 1.3.0.1/1.3.0.2 problem comes/goes.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    hmm, until last week I never used SD-plugin, so I don't have a good feel on "SD-normal". I've spent more time switching SD modes than using the default SD1.3.0.1 data source. For the SD changes, both the hosts file and the minor change I put in just aim SD-plugin to a different way to download legacy/xml? code, no code changes in any other parts of the plugin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Did you see my post above?
    Okay, I can't explain how the exports would not show the updates, but I wonder: are you using the tweaked SD plugin that I provided here?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-numbering-changes.124291/page-2#post-1071392

The default SD plugin code does change the channel numbers even when rename all modify options are not ticked. My modification - which has not been accepted, by the looks of it - was to only update channel numbers if renaming is enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom