The future of MPI - we need your opinion! (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    A couple of days ago I made an installer for my MediaStream-skin which comes with it's own plugin to control the home-screen, and while the MPI-tool was quite UN-intuitive, I managed to create a package and will definately use this approach in the future.

For a skin like StreamedMP the MPI tool is just not configurable enough, so I fully understand the motives for using something else.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I completely agree that blue3/wide should be supported. As then there is a "base" skin to look at, i.e. one where everything should work, something to test against.

Also, if someone is clever enough to write a plugin, then they are clever enough to figure out x/y coordinates for a skin. it may not be pretty - but as long as its functional.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    A couple of days ago I made an installer for my MediaStream-skin which comes with it's own plugin to control the home-screen, and while the MPI-tool was quite UN-intuitive, I managed to create a package and will definately use this approach in the future.

For a skin like StreamedMP the MPI tool is just not configurable enough, so I fully understand the motives for using something else.

Please let us know what are the short comings of current MPI, as its really not helping just stating that its not good. We already know that because its not more widely used :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I completely agree that blue3/wide should be supported. As then there is a "base" skin to look at, i.e. one where everything should work, something to test against.

True, but this is starting to get off topic :)

Also, if someone is clever enough to write a plugin, then they are clever enough to figure out x/y coordinates for a skin. it may not be pretty - but as long as its functional.

Especially as those default skin files are HELPING the skinners in their skinning process. It's much easier to adapt always from the default skin files (with same style) than adapting skin files from multiple different skins (those ones that plugins are providing).

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Please let us know what are the short comings of current MPI, as its really not helping just stating that its not good. We already know that because its not more widely used :)

Well, for starters someone could write a page on the Wiki descriping what the heck the MPI tool is ;) From what I can tell, the Wiki only explains (a bit) about installing/uninstalling via the MPI, not how you create your own package.

Then you could add some usefull help-dialogs in the tool itself and perhaps som bubbles on mouseover/select.

Example: In "Advanced properties" there is a true/false called "SingleGroupSelect". This has to do with the groups I apparantly can create. But...groups for what? There is not really an explanation anywhere :)

Perhaps you should consider changing the term "Components" to "XML-files" as this was the first time i ran into the term "Components", at least regarding MediaPortal.

Just so that it's not all :mad: I really love the option to add system-fonts to the package.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

huha

Extension Developer
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My wishlist for a future MPI installer:

TvServer plugin support:
    start/stop tvserver before/after the installation and enable to copy the plugin into the Tv server directory

Developer testing: force the plugin developer to give information how he tested the plugin, namely
    - operating version (XP,Vista, 32/64 bit)
    - MediaPortal version MP1.0, SVN,...)
    - short plugin description
    - extended plugin description ( simple .pdf or .txt file, I do not think the WIKI will work for every plugin developer due to complexity)

Unzip complete tree folders into
    Tvserver Program Folder
    MediaPortal Program Folder
    Tvserver config directory
    MediaPortal Config directory

Automatically run a script with a specific name for user specific instructions right after unzipping all the files

Central place for source code of plugins

I think this is exactly the right focus and the right path for future MediaPortal improvements

r_a_s_robin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 6, 2008
    Utrecht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The MP Plugins-Skins Installer should be part of the deploy tool!

Some other idea: Can't the MPI Downloadmanager be something online instead of a program on your own computer? At this moment the plugin/skin overview on the team-mediaportal website ****.

**edited by infinityloop - constructive criticism is okay but watch your words**

Anyway, when it can be improved it could be able to forfill the functions of the MPI Downloadmanager. This way alle the work does not have to be done twice. Because we definately need a better online overview in my opinion.

Improvements suggested for the plugins and skin pages on team-mediaportal.com:
    - Give every plugin/skin a 'homepage'
    - with version history
    - link to the forum thread (maybe include it into the page)
    - downloadlink to the latest MPI.
    - Show the compatible MP versions and skins. (if it's a skinpage show the compatible plugins).
    - Don't create new pages every time an update is released !! Just update the current page.
    - Nice (bigger) screenshots. Don't send someone to the forum to see screenshots!
    - Plugin Manual! Don't send someone to the forum for the manual!
    - Show if you're using the plugin already and whether you should update because of a newer version
    - Make it easy to look for skins/plugins matching your current skins/plugins:
    Select MP version --> select skin --> select categorie --> show available plugins! (top 10 most downloaded, best rated)

With a good online MPI overview, the MPI Downloadmanager is unnecessary!
    And like Harley said: People will return to the website and connect with the community

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    Anyone know any details of the Meedio internal installer/updater?
    It seems to work very well and might help us if we ask them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom