The future of MPI - we need your opinion! (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    For a skin like StreamedMP the MPI tool is just not configurable enough, so I fully understand the motives for using something else.
    And this is exactly our motivation to start this thread.

TELL US the config options you need, and we will add them.

Simple, isnt it? ;)

Note, i am talking about a proper list. Not some ranting.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The MP Plugins-Skins Installer should be part of the deploy tool!
    if it would be part of the deploy tool, how do you want to install and update plugins after the installation of MP?

Improvements suggested for the plugins and skin pages on team-mediaportal.com:
    Read the 1st post of this thread.

We would have a lot of ideas on how to improve the repository of the webpage.
    But during the last year, no webdeveloper was found which was willing to work on it (3 said that they will do it, but none ever returned with something working :mad: ).

We have plenty of developers which understand c#, but none who could do webdevelopment.
    So it is impossible to alter the repository as long as it stays like that.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anyone know any details of the Meedio internal installer/updater?
    It was relatively simple in that just used a URL (maid.meedio.com IIRC) and that had two different aspects. One was a web page for browsing plugins and the other was an interface to the plugins that would download the files (just using simple HTTP commands). The actual installers are like the MP installers (I think as I have not actually used one...) in that they were a file (.mpp) and double clicking would install.

Meedios now house the Meedio plugins (MeediOS | Bringing Media to Life) with a little hack to your hosts file. Their interface is not quite as polished as the Meedio one but it does the same job.

We have plenty of developers which understand c#, but none who could do webdevelopment.
    So it is impossible to alter the repository as long as it stays like that.
    What is it you are actually after?? The tricky but about implementing a repository that you can access via the MP client is more on the C# side than the web side.

The more important thing I think is structuring how MPI should work first then build it second. You need to be able to give each plugin a unique ID. you need to maintain details of the plugin etc.

I am no genius at web-design and do not have much time but if I had some specifics of what was actually required I could see how much development was actually required.

2weizen

Portal Member
    December 12, 2008
    A quick search field would be nice, which should list all matches immediatly while typing. The search should be in title and discription.

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    is this not enough: MPinstaller_create_extension - MediaPortal Manual Documentation?

PS. maby i'm looking at the wrong places, but where can i download the MDI creator tool?

well i am only a skinner (and a lousy one too ;) if i c how long it takes)
    butif i could get some more information how tio handle the MPI-Creator,
    i would use it.

and ich think it is a good way ...
    to create a stable and simple way - if all plugins and skins run over the MPI.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think better documentation for the whole MPI system would be the first step in the right direction. As several people have mentioned already it is a pain in the ass to build a new MPI and the process is not documented well at all.

One feature I would like to have though, is a way to conditionally install certain components based on conditions on the install machine. For example, Moving Pictures has a generic skin that can be used with any MediaPortal skin. It would be nice to be able to automatically copy the appropriate version of the generic skin (16x9 or 4x3) to all skin folders that do not already have a movingpictures.xml file. I could not do this right now with the MPI system, but it would not be too difficult with an MSI or InstallShield.

I think update notification with automatic download and install would be an awesome feature but that is a big feature. I think I'd almost rather see everything already in there polished off first before you all move onto big new features. But of all the big features mentioned I think this is one of the most important.

And I know InfinityLoop (or maybe one of the other devs?) said that because of the existing architecture of the config, it would be impossible to integrate the plug-in/skin installer into the config screen. But I have to say, this is very very important for usability. The user should not have two separate applications to configure MediaPortal. In fact I think this would be a good oportunity to revamp the skin and plugin sections of the config. The user should be able to browse available skins right from the skin selection tab. If he selects one that is not yet downloaded it should automatically be pulled down and installed. No fuss no muss.

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I know it's been mentioned before, as an 'update' plugin - and usually flamed - but how about an 'install plugins and skins' plugin, running in MP?
    Then you would only have 1 app for configuring and MP itself to install new skins and plugins.
    This would also have the added benefit of not requiring any specific technologies (i.e. no integration issues) AND would be as complex/simple as required..?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It would be nice to be able to automatically copy the appropriate version of the generic skin (16x9 or 4x3) to all skin folders that do not already have a movingpictures.xml file

Like the MyFilms plugin which already does this and ALWAYS uses MPI. Even lets you select which Skins you want to copy the file to. Kudos to Zebons!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It would be nice to be able to automatically copy the appropriate version of the generic skin (16x9 or 4x3) to all skin folders that do not already have a movingpictures.xml file

Like the MyFilms plugin which already does this and ALWAYS uses MPI. Even lets you select which Skins you want to copy the file to. Kudos to Zebons!

I think you have misunderstood me. The MyFilms MSI installer asks you which skin files it should copy over, and for any that are selected, it will overwrite existing files. This is very different from what I was suggesting. The user should not have to pick from a list which skin files to install, and I don't think new releases of a plug-in should be the route that a skin should be updated. But in the situation that a skin does not support a plug-in, I would like to install generic skin files that work for any skin. This would be an automated process that the user does not even have to know about, but the result would be that the plug-in would just work with all installed skins. As far as I know, this is not something that is possible with the current MPI system.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    :sorry: for not understanding, but :D for the excellent clarification, and good point!

in the situation that a skin does not support a plug-in I would like to install generic skin files that work for any skin

What if you are updating the plugin? Would it overwrite the obsolete skin files? Is it not then updating the skin files?

I don't think new releases of a plug-in should be the route that a skin should be updated.

I agree, but then how do plugins provide updated skin files for Blue3 as has been suggested?

I'd really like to see what you are suggesting work because if MPI could solve the current difficulties trying to coordinate skin and plugin updates it would be a users saviour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom