v_mpegh/iso/hevc......great picture...but no sound.....??? (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks
Hope I'm in the right place for this?

....need some help in setting up to play .265 HEVC files.....HEVC is "enabled" in LAV decoder video settings!
Kev

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, can't help without log files Kev. You've been around long enough to know this... :)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!!......you're right again!!!
    Here are logs just taken afresh......wish I new what to do with them....but hey-ho!!!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are logs just taken afresh
    Thanks. :)

I guess from the file name that the audio stream format is Dolby TrueHD. The reason you have no sound is probably that the LAV audio codec is configured to bit-stream Dolby TrueHD, but your HDMI link, TV and/or AV receiver don't support Dolby TrueHD. So, check your LAV audio codec settings. If you don't know what you're doing, provide screenshots of your LAV audio codec settings so that we can advise on the required changes.

P.S. Next time you have a reproducible problem like this, please use Watchdog option 1 or 2 ("report a bug...") rather than option 3. That way I won't have to guess the audio stream format. ;)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I agree with mm's analysis.

In this sort of problem situation, the first thing I'd do is install the MediaInfo app and find out exactly what audio stream is in the file, then work out what the audio codec might do with it (decode it, try and bitstream it or ignore it because it doesn't know what to do with it...)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    .....Option 1 logs now attached!!!
    With bit streaming selected (via HDMI)....Receiver shows DTS, True HD...etc....kind of making me believe that those formats are supported! (I'd be seriously disappointed if they weren't, as that was on my checklist when I bought the thing!!...Yamaha RX V771 btw)

If I de-select all the bit steaming options....I do get audio....but now the receiver shows PCM...no matter what is playing.
    How might I know if I am getting True HD, for example??
    --- Post updated ---
    ....just spotted Owlsroost comment there....will get the app!!
    --- Post updated ---
    Looks like I now need to drop 'Moving Pictures'....and move to 'My Films'

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    With bit streaming selected (via HDMI)....Receiver shows DTS, True HD...etc....kind of making me believe that those formats are supported!

So the receiver is saying the audio is 'True HD' when you play the problem file (with bitstreaming enabled) ?

If you go into Win 10 Control Panel -> Sound -> (select correct audio device) -> Properties -> Supported Formats, what 'Encoded Formats' does it list ?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    "So the receiver is saying the audio is 'True HD' when you play the problem file (with bitstreaming enabled) ?"

......No..,..Receiver shows 'decoder off'....and no sound.
    Receiver shows 'True HD' (and also DTS, or DTS-HD)...when playing .264 files

With bitstreaming disabled....receiver shows PCM regardless of DTS/DTS-HD/True HD properties!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think you need to carefully compare the detailed MediaInfo for the audio streams of the files that work (with bitstreaming) and the ones that don't. Your logs show MP trying to connect the LAV audio decoder filter, but the connection is failing - something in the audio chain doesn't like the bitstream...

Users who are viewing this thread