What's the HD-Option for? (2 Viewers)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    In my opinion the best thing would be to abandon the old tv engine because it was never a joy to use. Less options means lesser confusion. Simple like that.
    has been discussed, but i got outvoted. ;)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You could simply add (installs TV-Server) in brackets behind the "HD...". It wouldn't add too much text and would suit beginners as well as advanced users.
    I had to use the installer twice to get the setup I wanted. This means an advanced user doesn't get a "single click" setup but just a beginner who doesn't know what he is doing exactly ^^ ?

-level20peon

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Problem with that is everytime TVServer mentioned, people think they don't need a server\client setup or just consider it too complicated.
    The fact its no more complicated to setup than the internal TV, and as far as the end user is concerned just as easy to use, but with more features.

If someone had said to me a few years ago about this kind of setup, i'd have had a blank look on my face as i bet many of our newcomers have as well.

Regards

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then add (installs TVE3) in brackets, people won't be concerned about the word "server" then and "insiders" would know what they are dealing with :)

-level20peon

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    TVEngine 3 and TVE3 names have been dropped as it was too confusing. There were too many names for the same thing.

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well to have too many names for the same technology is one thing. But not having any name at all is just as confusing (at least to me).
    Else it is like "Are you using the integrated TV-Engine or, you know, the other one, which name shall not be mentioned?"

-level20peon

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi all,

I have to agree, the question "Do you want to watch HDTV" is not good.

Edit: I've reworked my reply, because I wasn't making much sense myself either...

My comments on the HDTV question:

1. Dubious wording

The question is: "Do you want to watch HDTV." Now if you really need to know, yes I want to watch HDTV. I can't, because I don't have a HDTV receiver, but yes I would really want to. Just like I want to use a big-ass 60" OLED 3-D TV ;)

This same mistake has been made on several of the installer questions.

2. Mixing up terminology

The question is about HDTV, but the answer is about HD content! If I am not mistaken, HD content is any video source with a resolution of 720x1280 or higher, this could also be downloaded video files. This is actually the point that made me come to the forums for explanation; do I need to answer "yes" if I want to play high-res video files? Apparently not, but this is what the answers suggest.

3. What the end-user knows

Now this one is tricky, because I can't call myself an unknowing end-user anymore, and neither can most of the MP users.

But if I am right, most consumers will associate HDTV (and the HDTV logo, that is also shown on the installer page) with TV sets, not with reception technology. They can use their "High Definition Television set" (HDTV) to watch analogue broadcasts and DVD's. Will they be wrong saying "Yes, I have an HDTV"?

If I go by the commercials that are being shown on the TV here all the time, your average end-user will have a better (and correct) understanding of digital versus analogue then HDTV versus SDTV. But that may of course be different per country.

4. Wrong terminology

Which brings me up to the next point; shouldn't the question actually be about digital versus analogue instead of HDTV? If I am using a digital receiver, but most channels still only broadcast SDTV, what should I choose? (I may be totally off here, since I don't have a digital receiver myself...)

5. Wrong target audience

Let's go back to the answer options. Say we are dealing with people who don't even know what high definition is. These must be really clueless, but I agree they may be out there. No problem, there is an answer option "I don't know what HD content is."

Great, is that the option for them? No, it is not! Because after they answer they don't know about HD, they actually get an even more technical question about which TV engine to use. This is definitely not the type of question the people that are lead here can answer... I understand the need to have access to this question, but it should not be hidden behind the "I don't know what HD is" question...

6. The Wrong Question

This is what it is all about; the question is just basically wrong! Either way, if we ask about HDTV or digital TV, I would have to answer "no" to this question. But if I want to make use of the client/server-technology, I will have to lie by saying I will be watching HDTV, or lie and say I don't know what HD is.

An alternative approach

How about this:

Q: Do you want to use the build-in TV engine, or the newer TV server?
    A1: TV server
    A2: Build-in TV engine
    A3: I don't know

If A3, then:
    Q: Do you receive digital or analogue television?
    A1: Digital
    A2: Analogue
    A3: I don't know

If again A3, install and use the classic engine.

Users who are viewing this thread