1.3.0 Final and Digital Channel Scans (1 Viewer)

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    In an effort to get ready for the new server I am building, I changed my current server from OTA to QAM.
    I cleared the tables of all channels and reconfigured my Schedules Direct account to use the USA WOW digital cable listings.

First I am confused over what method of QAM scan I should be using.
    QAM HRC+3,QAM HRC, all have no results after scanning.
    QAM IRC, QAM Standard, QAM Std Alternative all give mixed results.
    Using the QAM Std Alternative the first time I found 357 Channels. After a 2nd scan it went up to 361.
    With each following scan it seems to locate more channels yet does not locate all of them.
    Case in point, Speed Channel (WOW channel 90) have never appeared.

Now with the results I do have, there is even more confusion.
    The naming of located channels is not consistent.
    As you will see in the Channels screenshots, the name field has some listed with a leading 0, others with the actual channel number, some like ABCHD have no leading channel #, and then a very long list of Unknowns.
    What is real odd is that every channel in the list are labeled as 10000 under the Channel Number Colum.
    Yet as you will see in the ABC screenshots, the detail views have what appears to be the correct info.

The strangest part of all this is trying to view the actual channels.
    All the channels listed as XXXHD work, all of the #Name channels show a pop-up that it is encrypted (and they are not), and some of the Unknown channels are actually available / viewable.
    I am going to assume at some point I will have too manually go thru a lot of the unknowns and filter.
    Before I do that, I would like to know that the scans I am getting are correct and that the labels are correct.
    Funny thing is, the Schedules Direct listing is 100% complete for the "Encrypted" # Name Channels and all the XXXHD channels cannot be found....

Is there something I am doing wrong?
    If there truly is an issue, what can I do to help resolve the issue for myself and others.
    On that note: is there a developer that has knowledge of U.S. cable systems and gaining access to my server would assist in the betterment of the MP software?

Thank you for all the hard work, time, and effort into this great software.
    ABCSample_01.gif ABCSample_02.gif Channels_01gif.gif Channels_02.gif.gif Channels_03.gif.gif Server Main.gif

hello_joe

Portal Member
    April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello again breese

Just to recap what we talked about in the other thread...

First I am confused over what method of QAM scan I should be using.

QAM HRC+3,QAM HRC, all have no results after scanning.

QAM IRC, QAM Standard, QAM Std Alternative all give mixed results.

Using the QAM Std Alternative the first time I found 357 Channels. After a 2nd scan it went up to 361.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ome-here-for-support.5231/page-51#post-937051
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppuge-wintv-hvr-1250.104421/page-2#post-880236

So in general @mm1352000 recommends starting with standard, then trying HRC (harmonically related carriers). They're by far the most common frequency plans used. AIUI the IRC and HRC + 3 options are much less frequently used. Standard is almost identical to std alternate. Just a few frequencies differ.

You can check out the actual frequencies scanned by opening the corresponding XML files.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Go up a level (to "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server").
    4. Go into the "TuningParameters" folder. Then go into the "atsc" folder.

The files you see there are the files that are used for cable (clear QAM) scans. You can open them in any text editor (notepad, wordpad, word etc.). The frequency is in kHz. Order is important. The first frequency is meant to line up with physical channel 1; the second is physical channel 2. etc. You can find more info about frequency plans here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_cable_television_frequencies

Ultimately, the best way to find out which option to use is to ring your cable provider and ask them what frequency/band plan they use.

With each following scan it seems to locate more channels...
    This is an indication that you're not letting it scan for long enough. Increase the SDT/VCT timeout as mentioned in the other thread, and once you know which QAM option to use, allow the scan to run right the way through. I know it is tempting to cancel but as @mm1352000 says, the channel numbers MP is scanning are physical channel numbers (ie. not the virtual channel numbers that you see in your channel lineup).

...yet does not locate all of them.
    Case in point, Speed Channel (WOW channel 90) have never appeared.

As mentioned in the other thread, Speed Channel is most likely there - just named as "Unknown...".

Now with the results I do have, there is even more confusion.
    The naming of located channels is not consistent.

As you will see in the Channels screenshots, the name field has some listed with a leading 0, others with the actual channel number, some like ABCHD have no leading channel #, and then a very long list of Unknowns.

As per the first link above, you are lucky to get any real names at all. MP is looking for the names in the VCT (virtual channel table) - part of the PSIP (program and system information protocol). Cable providers are not required to carry PSIP. They usually only do so for local channels, and only if they have an agreement with the channel provider. They carry the full set of channel names and numbers for their channels in an "out-of-band" (OOB) channel. With the exception of CableCARD tuners, I don't know of any PC clear QAM or ATSC tuner that can receive the OOB info (it requires a special OOB tuner). Hence all PC software (MythTV, NPVR, MP...) are in the same position when it comes to getting channel names: they get what the cable provider puts in the VCT, and that is not usually very much.

What is real odd is that every channel in the list are labeled as 10000 under the Channel Number Colum.
    Yet as you will see in the ABC screenshots, the detail views have what appears to be the correct info.

Which field in the screenshot contains the correct channel number?
    Be aware this is also normal. Channel numbers are in the same category as channel names. If your cable provider puts the channel number in the service ID field or something... well, that is pure chance. There is no standard that says they have to do that, and in fact most cable providers don't. They only care about the information in their OOB info being correct. That OOB info is what the cable set-top-boxes use to populate their channel lists. It is really unfortunate that PC tuners don't have the ability to access the OOB info, but such is life.

The strangest part of all this is trying to view the actual channels.

All the channels listed as XXXHD work, all of the #Name channels show a pop-up that it is encrypted (and they are not), and some of the Unknown channels are actually available / viewable.

The unknown channels are real channels. They're usually encrypted, but they are real.
    The channels with green dots next to them are the ones that MP thinks are free; the ones with red dots are the ones that MP thinks are encrypted.
    Since MP doesn't have access to the OOB info, it is making an educated guess when it assigns a channel as encrypted or free. Sometimes it guesses wrong; that is normal. In those cases you have two options. Either mark each channel as free (basically go to the tuning details as shown in your ABCHD screenshot, then ensure the "free to air" tickbox is ticked ... and repeat for all channels), or say that the tuner is capable of decrypting channels (which we know it isn't, but it saves time changing all the channels). To tell MP to try and view channels it thinks are encrypted:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the tuner list.
    3. Select the tuner and click "edit". You should see the tuner settings:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings
    4. Tick "CAM enabled and present for this card".
    5. Click "save".

I am going to assume at some point I will have too manually go thru a lot of the unknowns and filter.
    Yep, unfortunately that is how it works. You'll have to figure out which channel is which by viewing them and fixing the name.

Before I do that, I would like to know that the scans I am getting are correct and that the labels are correct.
    They're probably as good as you're going to get.

Funny thing is, the Schedules Direct listing is 100% complete for the "Encrypted" # Name Channels and all the XXXHD channels cannot be found....
    As mentioned in the other thread, the SD lineup is based on the location and provider you select... but it doesn't create usable channels. It only knows which channels you should be able to receive, and attempts to match that lineup with the channels that MP finds in a scan. So the idea is to do a scan in MP, then the SD plugin comes along and attempts to match your lineup with the MP channels. When it can't make a match, it creates a placeholder ("this channel is not mapped to any card"). To be honest, SD is great... but matching up the channels with all the "Unknowns" and inconsistent names can be a real pain. I'd suggest it is better to get the MP names right *before* trying to match with SD.

Tip: once you've renamed your channels, use the import/export section to export a backup so if the SD matching screws everything up you can always delete all the channels, re-import the backup and try again.

Is there something I am doing wrong?
    Probably not. Unfortunately setting up cable and ATSC tuners in MP is just downright painful. It isn't really MPs fault because they don't have access to the information that a cable set-top-box has access to (because PC tuners don't have an OOB tuner). You'll find this forum is littered with posts of users that don't understand this stuff and give up. There are few people here that know these technical details and actively spend time helping. @mm1352000 is one of those people but unfortunately he hasn't been seen around here for months. So you're stuck with me I guess. :(

If there truly is an issue, what can I do to help resolve the issue for myself and others.
    On that note: is there a developer that has knowledge of U.S. cable systems and gaining access to my server would assist in the betterment of the MP software?

As above, I don't think there is much you or any developer could do. To recap, the problem is:
    1. PC tuners aren't capable of receiving the OOB info that cable set-top-boxes use to populate their channel lists.
    2. Cable providers don't provide their full channel lineup in the VCT info that PC tuners can receive.

Cable providers have vested interests in keeping people tied to their set-top-boxes. They have no interest in allowing you to use a PC to view their channels. Hence HTPCs with TV in the US and Canada are not very widespread, and those that do manage to get them working put in a lot of time and effort.

Hope that helps!
    Joe

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    I have been checking out the QAM Freq files in MP1 while looking at
    There appears to be some issues between MP1's files and this Wiki document.
    One of the files starts with Freq 135 and then jumps to 73250 that I assume is 73.25 by the info from this Wiki.
    I am looking for more info so that I can understand these files better and possibly update / test new Freq's

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    I could really use some help in understanding the Frequency Files PM is using. What exacty is that # we are using to search QAM?
    I am after this info because I have a conflict with WOW Support matching what Hauppauge TV7 is finding and MP having different info

WOW Support gave me the following info that is Should be Clear QAM
    60.46 is A&E
    60.48 is Discovery
    60.29 is E!
    60.47 is History
    60.30 is Lifetime
    60.25 is TLC
    60.26 is USA
    Yet Hauppauge TV7 scan shows up as Unknown YET The Channel Numbers Match what WOW tells me they should be.
    Using the WOW info for 60.46
    EPG Source - Broadcast EPG
    Preset 2046
    Physical Ch 60
    Service ID 46

MP on the other hand.
    Channel 60
    Frequency 433262
    Major 0
    Minor 0
    Modulation 256 QAM
    Network ID 0
    Transport 30040
    Service ID 45
    PMT PID 4608

I cannot locate a Service ID 45 in MP

Are the QAM files correct for the US Market?

hello_joe

Portal Member
    April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    I have been checking out the QAM Freq files in MP1 while looking at

There appears to be some issues between MP1's files and this Wiki document.

One of the files starts with Freq 135 and then jumps to 73250 that I assume is 73.25 by the info from this Wiki.
    Yeah, wikipedia numbers use MHz units. The tuning files are using kHz. There are 1000 kHz in 1 MHz, so the conversion is simple.
    The 135 is just a dummy value, because there is no physical channel 1 in the "standard" frequency plan. Physical channel 2 is 73.25 MHz (73250 kHz).

These frequency plans are standardised by regulation and standardization bodies like the FCC. I've attached a document that may help you. This document was assembled independently of MPs XML files using information from the regulations that I found on the internet. Feel free to cross check MPs files if you want.

Let me be clear: the only thing that changing the XML files will do is change the frequencies that are scanned. This won't give you correct channel names or virtual channel numbers.

I could really use some help in understanding the Frequency Files PM is using. What exacty is that # we are using to search QAM?
    I'm sorry, I don't really understand this question. I think you're asking how MP is scanning?
    When MP scans, it scans physical channels 1 through 135, or something like that.
    The frequencies for each of those physical channels depend on the QAM frequency plan that you select.
    For each physical channel, the tuner is instructed to tune to the corresponding frequency.
    MP checks if the tuner has locked onto a signal. If it has, MP then looks for channels and records the details of the channels that it finds.
    Assuming that the MP tuning files are correct, the only thing that can really go wrong there in terms of finding or not finding channels is the selection of the correct QAM frequency plan. This is why I said I highly recommend you ask your cable provider what frequency plan they use.

I am after this info because I have a conflict with WOW Support matching what Hauppauge TV7 is finding and MP having different info

WOW Support gave me the following info that is Should be Clear QAM

60.46 is A&E

60.48 is Discovery

60.29 is E!

60.47 is History

60.30 is Lifetime

60.25 is TLC

60.26 is USA

Yet Hauppauge TV7 scan shows up as Unknown YET The Channel Numbers Match what WOW tells me they should be.

Using the WOW info for 60.46

EPG Source - Broadcast EPG

Preset 2046

Physical Ch 60

Service ID 46
    I can't comment about Hauppauge's software - never used it.
    Although it would be nice to be able to match up the details in MP with the Hauppauge software and your WOW info, my question would be... does it actually matter if you're getting all the channels that you're expecting to find?
    At this point it is not clear to me whether you're still saying that you're missing channels, whether you're just investigating for your own satisfaction/interest... or something else. Keep in mind what I said previously: if you think you're missing channels, they're most likely just named as "Unknown...". No amount of fiddling with the tuning detail files and rescanning will fix that. You'll have to manually fix the names. If you've gone through all the "Unknown..." channels and still can't find one or more of the channels that you're expecting to get then I'd understand why you're looking at the tuning detail files, but you haven't said that... so I'm confused.

What is your zip code?
    I'd like to look up your cable provider here:
    http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/
    I will hopefully be able to better help once I can do that. Right now it is not clear whether those numbers you're quoting are ATSC virtual channel numbers or truly physical channel and service IDs. That makes a big difference.

MP on the other hand.

Channel 60

Frequency 433262

Major 0

Minor 0

Modulation 256 QAM

Network ID 0

Transport 30040

Service ID 45

PMT PID 4608

I cannot locate a Service ID 45 in MP

What this means is that physical channel 60 in the frequency plan (ie. the QAM file) that you scanned with is 433.262 MHz. Those are the first two numbers.
    (Side note: that frequency is from the IRC frequency plan. Unless your cable provider told you that they use IRC, I would suggest you are almost certainly scanning with the wrong QAM setting if you're using IRC.)

The next two would usually hold the ATSC (over-the-air digital TV) virtual channel number. That's the channel number that a TV guide would usually show as as x-y or x.y where x is the major channel number and y is the minor channel number. MP doesn't use them or display them anywhere other than there. The fact that they're both zero indicates MP didn't find the virtual channel number when you scanned.

Modulation 256 QAM is common for US cable. It is just a technical tuning parameter. It is almost certainly correct.

Network ID is not actually relevant for ATSC or clear QAM channels. MP shouldn't have such a field. It is a hangover from DVB (the standard used in Europe).

Transport ID and service ID are the technical identifier for the channel. The combination of those two numbers are meant to uniquely identify the channel on the cable system. They're not usually displayed on a TV or set-top-box.

So if you compare the WOW and MP info at face value, the physical channel number matches. I have no idea what the "preset" is. It is a little strange that the service IDs don't match, but it isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Are the QAM files correct for the US Market?
    Yes, absolutely.

I have to confess I don't really understand why you're so interested in the tuning files.
    Changing them will not give you correct channel names or numbers for the reasons that I've previously explained.
    Many many MANY people have used MP over the years, and if there were blatant problems with the tuning files then I'd hope they would have been discovered. There could be a few mistakes here and there, but on the whole I'd expect they're roughly correct. Therefore, I'd expect that if you're selecting the correct frequency plan for your cable provider then MP should find most if not all of the channels that are available.

Attachments

• Frequency plans.zip
      18.5 KB

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    The last few weeks I have been testing every aspect of scanning channels between Hauppauge and MP.
    The differences are radical to say the least... Hauppauge at least gives real channel numbers in its final scan and when you start the channel, you actually can see the broadcast.
    not a single Unknown channel with MP gives this result

I am posting a document with 2 screenshots showing some of the finding between the 2
    Also the last scan by MP...

If mm1352000 is out there as I have seen him today... Please help me...

Attachments

• ChannelScreens.zip
      125.8 KB

hello_joe

Portal Member
    April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Hello again

The last few weeks I have been testing every aspect of scanning channels between Hauppauge and MP.
    As previously mentioned, I've never used WinTV but I'll do my best to try and follow.

The differences are radical to say the least... Hauppauge at least gives real channel numbers in its final scan...
    So to be clear, are you saying that 65.194 is a real channel number?
    In other words, when you switch to that channel on your TV, is that the number that you enter on your remote?

When I look at the WinTV channel list and compare it with the tv.log I can easily find those channels. For example, 65.194:
    2013-04-23 19:00:46.524025 [(5)]: DVBBaseScanning: service_name is null so now = Unknown 469250-194
    2013-04-23 19:00:46.539650 [(5)]: atsc:Found: ATSC:tv: Unknown 469250-C2 Freq:469250 ONID:0 TSID:30046 SID:194 PMT:0x1B50 FTA:True LCN:10000 phys:66 maj:0 min:0
    Okay, so admittedly 66 is not equal to 65 (so either MP or WinTV are out by one there)... but I wouldn't have called that a real ATSC channel number. They are just there to help you distinguish the channel from all the other "Unknown" channels.

WinTV is presenting "<physical channel>.<service ID>" as a way to help you to identify the channel.
    MP is presenting "<frequency>.<hexadecimal service ID>" (where 0xc2 converted to decimal is 194).

Are you saying that:
    • the number that Hauppauge presents is more helpful?
    • MP is wrong?
    • ???
    Clearly MP could give the same information as WinTV. I guess the MP team just thought the number they're presenting is more helpful.

I pointed out 65.194 above.
    Here are the other channels that I can see in your screenshot, all the same (with the exception of physical channel)...
    2013-04-23 19:12:32.586525 [(5)]: DVBBaseScanning: service_name is null so now = Unknown 643250-195
    2013-04-23 19:12:32.586525 [(5)]: atsc:Found: ATSC:tv: Unknown 643250-C3 Freq:643250 ONID:0 TSID:30198 SID:195 PMT:0x1B60 FTA:True LCN:10000 phys:95 maj:0 min:0 mod:Mod256Qam

2013-04-23 18:59:12.633400 [(5)]: DVBBaseScanning: service_name is null so now = Unknown 451250-197
    2013-04-23 18:59:12.633400 [(5)]: atsc:Found: ATSC:tv: Unknown 451250-C5 Freq:451250 ONID:0 TSID:30043 SID:197 PMT:0x1B80 FTA:True LCN:10000 phys:63 maj:0 min:0 mod:Mod256Qam

2013-04-23 19:08:37.008400 [(5)]: DVBBaseScanning: service_name is null so now = Unknown 559250-399
    2013-04-23 19:08:37.008400 [(5)]: atsc:Found: ATSC:tv: Unknown 559250-18F Freq:559250 ONID:0 TSID:30109 SID:399 PMT:0xF0 FTA:True LCN:10000 phys:81 maj:0 min:0 mod:Mod256Qam

...and when you start the channel, you actually can see the broadcast.
    How are you testing?
    The "preview" function in TV Server configuration is not the most reliable way to test.
    I suggest you configure your codecs and test in MP. I'd be surprised if the channels don't work.

Joe

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hiya breese

Joe has basically taken the words right out of my mouth. :)
    Is there something specific you wanted me to look into?

mm

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    For testing I am using my MP Client (also 1.3.0) and I remote into my server and bring up WinTV.
    With WinTV I can view the broadcast of any channel listed (Unknown or otherwise).
    Like MP, WinTV does not list Encoded Channels.

With MP the only broadcast that will work are those that have Actual Channel Names (CBSHD, ABCHD, Etc...)
    So you understand, I have a list of channels on paper and I try and compare WinTV with MP (using the MP Logs)
    When I am done testing with WinTV I stop the Hauppauge server and start TVService

In MP client I locate a good WinTV channel and tell the client to connect, after almost a minute I get a message about not being able to connect.

Also I can see in the logs what you are talking about with regard to
    SID: and PHYS:
    This is what I have been using to locate WinTV findings in MP. Again this is not what is displayed in the Channels on the Client...

If MP is trying to become user friendly, how is a user expected to interpret Unknown 559250-27A
    At least with WinTV the Unknown 80.399 can be located in the WOW channel database…

Later today I will take the example of 80.399 (MP 81.399) and change it to 80.399 in MP and see if it will then connect.
    Another fyi for you... Of the Named channels in MP, all those with a Major and Minor filled in work correctly in MP.

If I read the logs correcly the MediaPortal.log file (from my client) shows the failures before and after connecting to channel CIUHD

It does not matter if you use WOW cables listings or SiliconDust web sites, there is nothing within MP Channel listings that is User Readable
    http://www.wowway.com/help-support/cable-tv/channel-lineups
    Plug in 60004 zipe code
    Check the box for Built in digital tuner (QAM)

Attachments

• Client.zip
      1.9 MB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again breese

For testing I am using my MP Client (also 1.3.0) and I remote into my server and bring up WinTV.

With WinTV I can view the broadcast of any channel listed (Unknown or otherwise).
    Okay.

Like MP, WinTV does not list Encoded Channels.
    If by "encoded" you mean encrypted or scrambled (ie. not clear QAM) then you'd be wrong about MP here.
    Those channels should be picked up by scans.
    Normally such channels would have a red bubble next to them in the "TV Channels" section of TV Server configuration.
    The fact that you don't see the familiar premium channel names (HBO, ShowTime etc.) from the cable lineup doesn't mean they're not being found. It is just another case where MP doesn't have the information to determine whether the channel is in-the-clear or not, so it assumes they are. Hence, all your channels probably have green bubbles.

With MP the only broadcast that will work are those that have Actual Channel Names (CBSHD, ABCHD, Etc...)
    In your MP logs I can see a *lot* of strange errors with TsReader (@Owlsroost any thoughts???).
    It is possible that MP has a problem with some of your channels where TV Server does not, but we'd only know that if you were to post the TV side logs corresponding with the logs you just posted. Better than that would be to use the watchdog tool:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

1. Start MP with the watchdog tool.
    2. Go to TV section and attempt to start a channel that won't work.
    3. Start a named channel that you expect to work and watch for 20 seconds.
    4. Close MP.
    5. Post the zip file produced.

So you understand, I have a list of channels on paper and I try and compare WinTV with MP (using the MP Logs)
    So if I've understood you correctly here, your comparison is to try to get the Unknown channels that work in WinTV to work in MP.
    Is that correct?

When I am done testing with WinTV I stop the Hauppauge server and start TVService
    Yep, good. :)

In MP client I locate a good WinTV channel and tell the client to connect, after almost a minute I get a message about not being able to connect.
    As mentioned above, this suggests a totally different kind of problem: a communication issue between MP and TV Server. Either network or database related; nothing to do with the channel tuning itself.
    Another way to test without involving the MP client would be to use the "manual control" section of TV Server configuration.
    1. Find your channel using the channel group and channel selection boxes.
    2. Click start timeshifting.
    If TV Server is working correctly you should see the above section fill with the channel details, signal strength/quality bars, and the packet counter start to increase.

Also I can see in the logs what you are talking about with regard to
    SID: and PHYS:

This is what I have been using to locate WinTV findings in MP. Again this is not what is displayed in the Channels on the Client...
    You're right - MP doesn't display the service ID or physical channel number in the client.
    Our ultimate aim is to display what a cable box or TV would normally display.
    Our understanding is that a cable box or TV would show the ATSC virtual channel number - a number that looks like x.y (or x-y).
    We don't have that number, so we don't even try to pretend that we have it.

The only thing I'd expect to see in the client for those channels is the name of the channel, and that should be 100% the same as what you see in TV Server configuration and in the log files.

I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at in the client (a screenshot would be helpful! :)) but one thing you should be aware of: MP doesn't support storing or using ATSC channels numbers with format x.y (or x-y).
    So to be clear, If you're expecting to see or be able to use 80.399 to select that particular channel with your remote in MP client... it just won't work. It simply isn't supported in any way, shape or form.

If MP is trying to become user friendly, how is a user expected to interpret Unknown 559250-27A
    You're right: this number is meaningless to a user... but it is not intended to convey any specific meaning.
    To me the 80.399 number is equally as meaningless.
    I really get the feeling that I'm missing something here. It is like you are saying that the number 80.399 is meant to be associated with the channel like a virtual channel number.
    It would *really* help if you could explain what you're thinking as if I'm a baby.
    Please keep in mind that the US TV channel numbering and naming system/convention (ATSC) is very different to the systems/conventions used almost everywhere else in the world. When it comes to things like this, we don't understand what you're talking about or thinking unless you spell it out for us. ;)

At least with WinTV the Unknown 80.399 can be located in the WOW channel database…
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this.
    What is the WOW database?
    Please keep in mind that I've never used WinTV.

I can only say: if you take the name "Unknown 559250-27A" from the MP client and search for it in the TV Channels section of TV Server configuration (our channel database) then you will find it.

I'm totally confused here. :confused:

At this point it would be ***really*** helpful if you could answer the questions @hello_joe asked:
    So to be clear, are you saying that 65.194 is a real channel number?
    In other words, when you switch to that channel on your TV, is that the number that you enter on your remote?

Are you saying that:
    • the number that Hauppauge presents is more helpful?
    • MP is wrong?
    • ???
    If you think you've answered already... I'm sorry, I haven't understood.

Later today I will take the example of 80.399 (MP 81.399) and change it to 80.399 in MP and see if it will then connect.
    I'm not sure what difference it could possibly make but feel free to keep trying things and throwing comments our way. :)

Another fyi for you... Of the Named channels in MP, all those with a Major and Minor filled in work correctly in MP.
    There is nothing special about the major and minor except what @hello_joe explained above. They are the parts of the ATSC virtual channel number that should be displayed in the MP client... but they're not, because MP doesn't support it. They are not used for tuning or anything else...

mm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom