1 recording, 2 LiveTV-clients stutter [mutliseat] (1 Viewer)

Win7

March 5, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Well i would search for new networkcard drivers. You can even look if there are some settings for tcp checksumm offload.
I don´t think its a problem with the tv-cards handling. But if you stream to three clients that costs some cpu usage. No CPU usage for that would mean take the complete transportstream and trow it on the networkcard. But that would fast get you into bandwith trouble. Next option is to look for new sata/ide drivers. Because all timeshifting or recording is made over files on the local harddrive. Three clients means three timeshifting files.
Back to the network. My Scaleo E has a Fireport. I thought no gigabit ethernet why don´t feed the system over firewire. Ok so i installed a ftp server and connected my notebook via firewire to the host. Well coping files over that firewire port via ftp causes my livetv to stutter on a single seat machine that has a 3,2Ghz Pentium 4 Prozessor with DXVA enabled grafikcard i got 100% CPU usage while copying with about 25 MB/s. My harddrive can write 100 MB/s. Even recording 9 Channels at same time is no problem for that machine!
Well things you can try for your server. Grab an old scsi disk for timeshifting! If your server can make some noise take one with 10000upm. Those scsi drives don´t cause any cpu usage and are cheap todays. I would recommend one of those IBM-DDYS drives they have an fantastic seek time of 4,9 seconds and aren´t that loud :D The seagate cheetahs are even fine, but very loud and the sound like someone put some sand in them ;)
Or test another networkcard that can make differences. Most onboard cards from broadcom. I haven´t got ever more than about 40% of the 1Gbit between to windows servers. Ok some peaks reached 80% but most of the time they are slow and cause high cpu usage. 50% CPU Usage for 40% of the Gigabit on a Dual Xeon 2,8Ghz System is too much. So i started using intel cards the make a much better performance at lower cpu usage. Even the 3com one are fine. But they aren´t cheap. Ever ask why the Intel cards cost that much? Thats the reason!
The can reduce cpu usage by making the checksumm offload itselves!

mts

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Ok,

I have done some more tests.

1) HDD-Speedtest: 165MB/s (so thats ok but not perfect)
(P.S: no CPU-Usage for disk-access)
-> so thats not the problem

2) network-test: I'm actually reaching 58MB/s whats ok but not perfect. The problem is, that the network-driver uses alot of CPU-usage!!! I think the linux-drivers were just better.
So the network is really a problem, but it doesn't explain why I have the same stutterings when the server is recording and 2 clients try to whatch TV.

P.S. Intel network-cards aren't that expensive anymore (34-74€)

mts

Portal Pro
September 2, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

back again.

So after my test I have one more question. Yes, I have alot of CPU-usage when I transfere lot of data (58 MB/s), but... 3 streams would never use 58MB/s !!

cfforce

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have the latest SVN running, but it seems that the stutter has gone, when 3 clients are watching..

mts

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    YEPEEE!!!
    Whatever they have changed between the last SVN and the actual one. My CPU-usage is at 8% now while 3 people are watching TV!!!

GREAT!!! MANY THANKS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom