2 cards recording the same program (1 Viewer)

daemian

Portal Member
December 28, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello all,

I have been using mediaportal for a short time now as a tv-server backup for an XBMC frontend. I have had pretty good luck thus far we getting things setup. I am going to hold off on the full run down of hardware, etc because I suspect my problem is a simple configuration issue.

Basically I have 2 tuner cards (hauppauge colossus) both connected to direct tv set top boxes. If I launch XBMC from multiple PCs, I can watch tv on 2 different channels at the same time without issue (under manual control of the tv-server configuration I can see the two tv channels being watched and all is well). However, As soon as I schedule a recording, both tuners tune into that channel and show a status of idle. (attached screenshot).
Capture.JPG

My understanding from the documentation is that it should show recording, not idle. I am still waiting to see if the show does actually record (one going at the moment).

I have created all of my channels once, and associated all of the channels to the both tuners. It seems like the server is trying to use both card to record the show. By the way, if I use on of my XBMC front ends to tune to that channel while recording, it works fine.

This happens weather I schedule the recording through the XBMC front-end client or through the WebMediaPortal site.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks and keep up the great work on MP!

-Mike

daemian

Portal Member
December 28, 2012
Home Country
my apologies, I probably should have posted this in the TV area. Please move it if needed. Thanks!

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Since the scheduling is done via XBMC maybe you should also ask in their forum.
    Thanks!

daemian

Portal Member
    December 28, 2012
    Home Country
    Since the scheduling is done via XBMC maybe you should also ask in their forum.
    Thanks!

thanks for the input Holzi, but as I don't think that its specific to XBMC since it happens if I schedule a recording from WebMediaPortal as well. In fact the recording that is going right now (the one in the screenshot) was scheduled from WebMediaPortal not XBMC.

Also, thanks for moving the thread :)

daemian

Portal Member
    December 28, 2012
    Home Country
    ok, so evidently there is more wrong than I initiall thought. After having a few different recording scheduled for last evining. This is what I found this morning:

#1 - none of the shows actually recorded.

#2 - The is what my manual control screen looks like now.
    Screen Shot 2012-12-29 at 10.27.33 AM.png

Basically its listing everything I tried to record since I posted yesterday, on both cards.

daemian

Portal Member
    December 28, 2012
    Home Country
    ok, so long story short. I found this in error.log (and many many many like it)
    Code:
    2012-12-28 19:10:47.208723 [scheduler thread(9)]: Exception  :System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\\The Office\season'.
      at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
      at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
      at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
      at TvService.RecordingDetail.MakeFileName(String recordingPath)
      at TvService.Scheduler.StartRecordingOnDisc(RecordingDetail RecDetail, IUser& user, CardDetail cardInfo)
      at TvService.Scheduler.SetupAndStartRecord(RecordingDetail RecDetail, IUser& user, CardDetail cardInfo)
      at TvService.Scheduler.FindAvailCardAndStartRecord(RecordingDetail RecDetail, IUser user, List`1 cards, Int32 maxCards)

It appears the issue was that I was trying to recording to a network drive. As I recall mapped network drives are local only to the user, so the tvservice probably could not access the z: drive as it were. I tries running the tvservice as my account, but with the same result.

The solution would be to access the share by unc path instead (\\server\share). Unfortunately that fiels is only browseable on the cards (cannot enter text) and I was unable to browse to that share. My solution was to go into the mySQL DB and overwrite the recrodingFoldercolumn values for those two tuner cards in the cards table. It appears to be working, though my first recording is not yet complete. Its definitely not doing the two cards at idle thing any longer. I can see that it has created the folder on the share, but at the moment I cannot access it, so I may still need to modify the account that tvservice is running as. We shall see.

Figured anyone who stubmled on this by searching may appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom