2 ways to build a RAID5 fileserver (1 Viewer)

player-x

Portal Pro
February 4, 2005
Bergen, Norway
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
you can use any old computer to build a file-server preferably whit on-board lan and min 512MB better 1GB memory ore more.

You can go 2 main ways if you go RAID5, and it all depends how mouths money you wane spend and how you wane maintain/do whit your array

Software
Software is cheapest and works well only you cant re-size your array, so the amount of space you have is decided when your build the array, also software Raid5 is whit bigger array's is slower (+6 disks CPU/PCI bus depended)

the trick on how to do it is explained here but there are also details explanations out there.
The Steps

1 find and copy the following files to a new dir. ware you can edit them whit a hex-editor (you can find free once on the net)

• \system32\drivers\dmboot.sys
• \system32\dmconfig.dll
• \system32\dmadmin.exe

2. open these files whit the hexeditor and change the ‘WINNT’ entries whit ‘SERVERNT’ and vice verse (so ‘SERVERNT’ change in ‘WINNT’)

Here is a segment of the dmboot.sys before and after changing:

Before:
0000F1F1 74 00 54 00 79 00 70 00 65 00 00 00 57 49 4E 4E t.T.y.p.e...WINN
0000F200 54 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 45 52 4E 54 00 00 00 00 T...SERVERNT.....
0000F210 4C 41 4E 4D 41 4E 4E 54 00 55 8B EC 51 51 6A 00 LANMANNT.Uã QQj.

After:
0000F1F1 74 00 54 00 79 00 70 00 65 00 00 00 57 49 4E 4E t.T.y.p.e...SERV
0000F200 54 00 00 00 53 45 52 56 45 52 4E 54 00 00 00 00 ERNTWINNT.......
0000F210 4C 41 4E 4D 41 4E 4E 54 00 55 8B EC 51 51 6A 00 LANMANNT.Uã QQj.

3. how to change these file's in windows?

3.1. put them on a boot floppy ore boot USB stick.
3.2. boot from XP CD-rom up in the repair console
3.3. copy and over ride from the dos prompt the 3 files to the fol owing directory's

copy a:\dmboot.sys system32\drivers
copy a:\dmboot.sys system32\dllcache
copy a:\dmconfig.dll system32
copy a:\dmconfig.dll system32\dllcache
copy a:\dmadmin.exe system32
copy a:\dmadmin.exe system32\dllcache

4 reboot, and now you should have in disk management mirror en RAID 5 set as extra options

!!!! You do this ofcourse on your one risk !!!!
But if you do it right it will work here is a screendump from my old software raid 5 array

Hardware
There are tree ways to do it the cheap, the middle and the right way.

The cheap way
Just get cheap promise ore Highpoint ore what ever controller
These are software/hardware controllers that uses the CPU to do the RAID5 calculations these are cheap 8x sata you can get for a bout 100 euro.

It works and that is it.

The middle way
Full hardware RAID5 controller these are fast controllers.
These are good controllers but unless i would find a cheap one on eBay i would spend the extra buck for the next step!

The right way
Use a controller from Tecram/Areca (same controllers) these are the Rolls Royce under the SATA raid controllers.

On these controllers you ad disk when you need them so in the beginning they cost more but get cheaper on the long run because you don't have to buy all your disks at one's and because then you save money when HD prizes drop

I high lighted the reasons why under need here
Adapter Architecture

Intel IOP331
PCI-X 64bit/133MHz (fits also standard PCI) (1*)
128MB on-board DDR333 SDRAM with ECC protection(4/8-port)
One SODIMM socket with default 256MB of DDR333 SDRAM with ECC protection,
Upgrade to 1GB. An ECC or non-ECC SDRAM module using X8 or X16 devices (12/16/24 ports)
Write-through or write-back cache support
Support up to 4/8/12/16/24 SATA II drives
Multi-adapter support for large storage requirements (2*)
BIOS boot support for greater fault tolerance

Intel RAID 6 Engine to support extreme performance RAID 6 (3*)
NVRAM for RAID event & transaction log
Redundant flash image for adapter availability
Battery Backup Module (BBM) ready (Option)
RoHS compliant

RAID Features
RAID level 0, 1, 1E, 3, 5, 6 (if RAID 6 engine supported) (3*) and JBOD
Multiple RAID selection
Array roaming
Online RAID level/stripe size migration (4*)
Online RAID capacity expansion and RAID level migration simultaneously (4*)

Instant availability and background initialization
Automatic drive insertion/removal detection and rebuilding
Greater than 2TB per volume set (5*)
Support S.M.A.R.T, NCQ and OOB Staggered Spin-up capable drives

(1*) PCI-X is the server version of a standard PCI slot and is fully backwards compatible whit standard PCI

(2*) These controllers support controller teaming, this means if on one controller all SATA connectors are used you can install a extra controller and it will look like you still have one controller.

(3*) RAID 6 is the most safe way to store your file's like raid 5 if one drive fails the aray is still safe but under raid 6 you can have 2 drives failing and you still have all your data

(4*) This and (5*) is what makes these controllers so special
You can start buying 1 controller and start whit only one disk and ad disk when you need the space and change also change the RAID level as you need

Example
So you begin whit 1 disk then you ad a extra one when you need and re-size and you have 2 disks that looks like one if that's full you can ad more and do the same but on a certain point you don't feel safe whit RAID0/stripe you can change to RAID5 true RAID level migration
But of course you can start strait whit 3 disks in RAID 5 and after the array is getting big and you want to ad extra secureti you can change to RAID 6 if you want.

(5*) Greater than 2TB per volume set: this means you can build a array that's bigger then 2TB, most controllers cant do ore only whit big pain and tricks to get it working
My self i got a 7 X 750GB 5.4TB array running and the nice thing if i am running out of space again i just ad a disk.

Tip 1: start your array whit the biggest disk you can get, YES they cost more but they will drop in price fast
My 750GB disk's are now more then 50% cheaper then when i got my first one 1~1.5 year ago and pretty soon will have cheapest price per GB

Tip 2: WebConneXXion is one of the best shops around when it comes to RAID controllers and they give great support 95% of email questions are answered whit in 24 oure's most of the time even on the same day.
Also read on the left side little lower the TECHN INFO section all about raid it will answer all questions you still have its only in Dutch's (rest of the site is in english) for others there is a good explanation here

Tip 3: chain band(*) is really great to hang up HD's if you run out of space in your case, they have the perfect spacing
(*) is used for example for hanging up big PVC pipe's and air ducts, you can get it at any do it your self shop.
It looks like this only whit round holes
9892750.jpg

My little server :cool:
Got a old server case i modified to fit a standard ATX board
serverbb1.jpg

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks so mutch for this!
Great guide...
What would you advise if I only want a 4 to 8 drive server for a HTPC (so only movies/music/HD movies) that would powerup on request and become idle when not in use for some time?

Could you advise me on the minimum processor and motherboard config?

yumcimil

Portal Member
December 18, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Another option would be to go with a linux-based PC running the built-in software RAID. It supports addition of extra drives, can transition from RAID-5 to 6, and can also resize the filesystem (depends on the FS type chosen). I've been running mine for about a year now - started with 4 x 500GB drives in RAID-5, and have now moved to 6 x 500GB. It's also survived a couple of drive failures perfectly happily (had to replace them, obviously). There are theoretical size limits, but nothing we'll be encountering in the next couple of years. Performance is perfectly satisfactory, but I'm only running two clients, but can stream HD movies to both over gigE simultaneously.

Only downside is, it requires a fair bit of messing around with configuration files and kernel compilation (the raid expansion is not compiled into standard distribution kernels by default). But, I'm extremely happy with it. I much prefer it to running it off the XP software RAID, or off the cheapie hardware RAID cards, both of which I've tried in the past.

Telstar

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
There are pci-e sata conrollers now? Because pci-32 is a terrible bottleneck.
200€ i get a 8 ports Areca card.

Telstar

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
I hate bottlenecks.

Maybe it's 250, i dont remember. Anyway, reseller price :D

I found a couple of pci-e sata controllers btw. So that's not entirely a bad idea.
There is a similar thread to this on Storagereview (that i suggest to anybody interested in storage)

player-x

Portal Pro
February 4, 2005
Bergen, Norway
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I wouldent heven think about it for that price get the Areca and just get one 1TB disk ore if you want raid 5 strait away get 3 of them and just ad more disk's as you need them engetting cheaper

And if the 8x sata controler is full get a second for adaptor teaming* then you can get up from 7TB to 15TB in raid 5 ore 14 in raid 6 (even more safe)

*(Multi-adapter support for large storage requirements)

Telstar

Portal Pro
October 18, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
Well, I dont need a NAS right now, just forethinking. I'm putting 2TB in the HTPC and that should last 1-2 years.

After that I'll decide which capacity I need for the NAS, which may be a true server or not. If I need only 4TB, I can just buy a Thecus 5200 as they have excellent performance.
If I build my own, I'll need at least 8 if not 12 disks. and raid6, not raid5, for which the IOP 341 would be more indicated as it is optimized for the higher load that raid6 requires. The price of the controllers with IOP341 is much higher.

Lastly, they are pci-e 8x and the motherboard must also have at least 2 pci-e 8-16x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom