2 ways to build a RAID5 fileserver (2 Viewers)

deebo

Portal Pro
April 19, 2006
windows... file... server...

i died a little

i had a linux based software raid5 that did 70-80MB/s over Gbit lan
but it broke (chain of bad luck featuring hardware malfunction), and now i just have all the drivers separate

when those run out of space im bying a ~8port full hardware sata2 raid card with battery backup etc

software raid never again

player-x

Portal Pro
February 4, 2005
Bergen, Norway
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well, I dont need a NAS right now, just forethinking. I'm putting 2TB in the HTPC and that should last 1-2 years.

After that I'll decide which capacity I need for the NAS, which may be a true server or not. If I need only 4TB, I can just buy a Thecus 5200 as they have excellent performance.
If I build my own, I'll need at least 8 if not 12 disks. and raid6, not raid5, for which the IOP 341 would be more indicated as it is optimized for the higher load that raid6 requires. The price of the controllers with IOP341 is much higher.

Lastly, they are pci-e 8x and the motherboard must also have at least 2 pci-e 8-16x.

Speed is nice but for shore not a requirement for a A/V server 40mbit=5MB/sec(*) is really the max you ever have to stream even the first IDE drive that came out can still do that

A Areca 1160 (16x sata) whit 14 disks can still do 200MB/sec and yeah the IOP 341 scales mouths better 14 disk do around 750GB/sec
But whats the point unless you build it in your gaming rig whit so many disks and ware it would still give you only marginal extra overall performance
And in a server you still connect it true Gbit lan met a max true put of 100MB/sec

My system specs for example:
250.-- ASUS K8N-LR motherboard
200.-- Kingston 4X 1GB ECC ddr
830.-- Areca ARC-1160ML controller
1500,-- 9X Seagate 7200.10 750GB hard drives and growing.
140,-- SilverStone OP750 PSU
2920.-- total + a case,

but i started whit only 3 HD's and prices got 2 more when i sold my old IDE raid5 card whit 12 160GB disks and the last 4 i got one by one when i needed them when HD prises drop some more i go over to raid6

But one thing i learned over 20 years whit computers
!!!! BUY WHAT YOU NEED, NOT WHAT YOU WAND !!!!

(Ore at least think twice if you really need it "that fast ore that big")

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom