4 TV-tuner cards Mediaserver (1 Viewer)

Freakyaudio

Portal Member
December 15, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Dear users,

I am currently building a new system in my home based on the benefits of the TV-server.

In this case i was having a idea of using 4 TV-tuner cards for 2 rooms, but to begin with i would like to hear if it is even possible and what the requirements for the computer is at this point?

The requirements are that each room can record and watch different channels (1 TV-tuner card for each option).

The card that i am planning to use which already are in the mediacomputers around the house is Terratec Cinergy C HD.

Thanks in advance.

Freakyaudio

Portal Member
December 15, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I got "nervous" because of the issues that the function is related too, but no doubt that the amount of TV-tuners will involve, som difficulties. At this point i might have to consider a FloppyDTV card instead, but they are a tad pricey compared to the Terratec cards.

Do you eventually know a good mainboard with either 780G chipset or an Intel which might have 4 PCI-slots instead of 2? Something tells me that 4 PCI32 slots are quite rare on newer "media"-based mainboards these days.

Hi!

Offcourse u can use your 4 tuners for a TV-server setup! The only thing would be PCI slots ill guess ;)
There is also a possibility to run a master and a slave server though, see manual for info. TV-Server/HowItWorks - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

Best of luck!
/tompa

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Freakyaudio!

No i don't know any mobo, but ther must be one out there.
    Maybe u should start up with as many of your cards as possible and see how it goes. If ut running dvb-c you know that mp will "extract" all channels on one frequency, means that u will manage quite ok on lets say 2-3 tuners.

/tompa

Freakyaudio

Portal Member
    December 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hello Tomba,

Thanks for your reply, i think i will start with inserting the two DVB-C cards i have and wait for some PCIe cards or eventually dual DVB-C for PCI. Hopefully they will be made for PCIe in the future, so we can use the slots.

Are the clients open to use any TV-tuner on the server, or do i have to point each TV-tuner card towards the client (from the server)?

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sounds good!

Yes they are, clients use all cards on the server that have "mapped" channel/s to it.

/tompa

Freakyaudio

Portal Member
    December 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Perfect, i will go with two cards to begin with, hopefully Terratec or digital-anywhere might release a dual DVB-C tuner in the near future :)

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    4 tuners will work fine providing you can plug them all in. I have a PCI-E DVB-T tuner, a firedtv DVB-S and 2x USB DVB-T tuners and mediaportal quite happily uses all of them.

Freakyaudio

Portal Member
    December 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    That sounds great, eases me up a little when i am building the server, thanks for all the kind replies, i will keep this thread updated and perhaps create one upon my building of the entire system.

ARH

Portal Member
    October 27, 2006
    I have 5 tuners in mine pvr150, 2 novat pci and 1 novat 500. my motherboard is now 2 years old. the most channels I have managed to record at once is 12. I was playing mp3s as well at the time. so it should be possible. I often record 4 channels at the same time. this is all sd no hd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom