50 hz TV on a 60 Hz Plasma - can it be done? (1 Viewer)

Kermit1974

Portal Member
November 26, 2009
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi all - what a fantastic forum, and sooo many helpfull people...;)
I have a 40" inch LG Plasma (LG42P6010). A good display, but I have a problem.
The only good resolution I can get on this display is 1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz.
I connect to the display via HDMI.
I live in Denmark, where our TV format is 50 Hz PAL, but if I try to chance my display adaptor to 50 Hz or use one of the "native" HDMI resolutions (25p or 50p) the image, it seems as though the TV resamples it and the picture is almost onreadable.
The specs. for the display says that it supports all the standard formats for both 50 Hz and 60 Hz natively.
If I look on the graph when watching TV I see the typical "sawtooth" because of the upscaling from 50 to 60 Hz.
The Playback is OK, but not as smooth as I want.
MY GFX is an onboard ATI HD 3600.

Does anyone know if I can "force" 50 hz to the display without the picture getting screwed?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    As far as I can tell, the manual tells what you have already learned, only 60Hz is supported in PC-mode :(

50 Hz and 24 Hz is supported in DTV-mode, but when connecting a PC it will switch to PC-mode.

Until recently I owned a 42" PG plasma as well, and this supported 50Hz on HDMI, but not when connecting a PC :mad:

Now I have a 50" and I made DAMN sure that it supported both 24Hz and 50Hz in PC-mode before i bough it :rolleyes:

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi.

My Philips 42" plasma was also in same situation. But By Using Catalyst Control Center I could force HDTV 1280x720\50p mode.
    Now Im using Nvidia and same applies there.

So I'm almost sure it can be forced to "Tv mode" somewhere in display adapters control panel.

Br,

Kermit1974

Portal Member
    November 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'll try to post a report.

If I force CCC to output the desired format, the TV overrides it, and resamples it to a crappy solution.

Aaarrrghhh! Guess you're right, Pillehave... Because it won't accept other modes than PC - no matter what I try... And I think I have tried every combo available on the TV.
    Have to live with it, I guess. And will look for a better TV-support on my next one.

Thank's for you answer, and thank you and all the other developers on the fantastic MAYA skin:D

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It will proably be able to receive 1280x720@50Hz, but since the panel resolution is 1024x768 it will look awful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom