A Canadian Weather Plugin using Environment Canada content (1 Viewer)

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,
    Just an FYI that I don't have plans to update this plugin to MP1.3 or beyond. I had a stuttering issue with MP that I couldn't overcome and switched to a different media player which is serving me well at the moment.
    If anyone wants the source to continue with this, send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

I have just uploaded v0.995 of the Canadian Weather plugin using Environment Canada content. The latest version can be downloaded here.

v0.995 contains a small update to the StreamedMP skin.
    v0.990 adds French language support
    v0.974 fixes a bug for users of MP 1.2.2 where selecting a city that is not in the preferred list of cities doesn't display the weather for that city.
    v0.973 fixes a bug in the plugin configuration where URLs for satellite images where not loaded/shown. If OK was pressed, any previously entered URLs were erased. It also makes small change to how the buttons were rendered so the labels displayed faster.
    v0.972 adds StreamedMP to the list of supported skins. Thanks to Godevin for creating the XML and supporting files.
    v0.97 fixes a bug where the temperature and Feels Like temperature were not displayed for users with Region Settings other than English
    v0.96 fixes a bug where location, logo, and time of forecast weren't displayed after viewing satellite images.
    v0.95 adds the ability to see up to 5 weather jpgs.

Plugin Info:
    The functionality of this Beta version includes a one page view of current conditions including a 7 day view of highs, lows, Prob. of Precipitation, an icon, general conditions text, a 7-day text forecast, the ability to see weather jpgs, and a button indicating a weather warning exists with details when clicked.

• English and French.
    • Temperatures are in Celsius.
    • Default, Default Wide, and StreamedMP skins are currently supported.
    • MP 1.2.0 or higher is required.
    Possible additions for later versions:
    • Support for various skins
    Any and all comments, suggestions and XML for your favourite skins are welcome.

Doug

Last edited:

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: Here's a Canadian Weather Plugin using Environment Canada content

Thanks doug,

Here is a screen of my skin file.
    I see that the night HI ;) is not showing and tomorrows LO. I checked the default skin and the same thing I imagine this is normal behavior.
    I will hide the labels I used when there is no info like with POP labels I did.
    I also have infoservice changing the weather backdrops.

Attachments

• Canadian Weather.png
      Canadian Weather.png
      927.5 KB

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Thanks doug,

Here is a screen of my skin file.
    I see that the night HI ;) is not showing and tomorrows LO. I checked the default skin and the same thing I imagine this is normal behavior.
    I will hide the labels I used when there is no info like with POP labels I did.
    I also have infoservice changing the weather backdrops.

Hi

You're quite welcome. Yes, it is normal behaviour per Environment Canada's data and how the data is provided. You'll see this during nighttime forecasts. The low shown is for that night and the next day too. You can see Environment Canada's site does this too: Toronto, Ontario - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada (view it during the night/evening to see it.)

I've only used the defaultwide skin so I'm not familiar with which one you are using. Are you the skin creator or are you modifying it to your liking? Perhaps I can use your skin edits when I provide an update.

Doug

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.
    I kinda figured that with today and tonight labels coming up.
    I also noticed feel like is not working.
    I use the Avalon skin so an official Canadian Weather skin for Avalon would have to come from them.
    I am reworking my Avalon Canadian Weather skin as I am not happy with it yet it is not true to Avalon.

Steve

EDIT : any chance of adding sunrise sunset labels?

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Doug any chance of adding sunrise sunset labels?

I reworked the Avalon skin more in keeping with their theme.
    If any one is using Avalon and this plugin I could up the files.

I added the image at left, feels like, sunset and sunrise with info service.

Steve

Attachments

• Canadian Weather1.jpg
      Canadian Weather1.jpg
      221.2 KB

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Doug any chance of adding sunrise sunset labels?

Steve

Hi, Steve.

Sure. Environment Canada includes the sunrise sunset information for the current day. I'll try to do it with the next version.

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Hi,
    • -It is currently English only.
    • -Temperatures are in Celsius.
    • -Default and Default Wide skins are currently supported.
    • -MP 1.2.0 or higher is required.
    Can you let me know if and when are you planning to support StreamedMP?:D

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Can you let me know if and when are you planning to support StreamedMP?:D

Hi,

I do plan to support other skins. And because StreamedMP is very popular, it's on the list.

When will that occur? I can't say exactly when. I want to get the basic functionality down before I do other skins. That way I'm not changing a bunch of skins if I make a change to the functionality. So give me a few weeks (my available time to do this is limited).

I welcome any head starts on other skins which others provide.

Doug

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Doug,

I know I am pushing it and I hear the time restraints thing, but how about a sat image http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/satellite/goes_nam_1070x_100.jpg this is the one I use with the built in weather plugin. You say you used some of MP's weather plugin code so I thought maybe the sat image could be integrated into your plugin but I can't code I can barely edit xml files so I have no idea.

Also could you add the the city title no just the location of the weather station ( mine shows Pearson international but I can't show Brampton in the skin).

FYI - tomorrow we will have winds from 50 to 80 km/h and there is no way to tell this with the plugin I guess unless it become a weather warning it will not show, if I was a sailor this would be important info but thankfully I am to lazy to be a sailor.

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

how about a sat image
    I had planned on doing this as one of the last things. Why? Well, I don't use the image feature! :) The default weather plugin has the ability to add several images for each city. I was thinking of just adding the ability to see up to, say, 5 in total. Any comments?

Also could you add the the city title no just the location of the weather station
    I've already made a change in the code that will appear in the next version. Instead of using the "station" I display the city name. I noticed that the station element in the XML is sometimes empty (mostly for more remote locations). But from what I see the city name is always there. So Brampton or Toronto, for example, will be displayed instead of Toronto Pearson Intl Airport.

FYI - tomorrow we will have winds from 50 to 80 km/h and there is no way to tell this with the plugin I guess unless it become a weather warning it will not show
    I will be adding the weather warning functionality. But the other thing I am adding, which I think is desirable in this instance, is the 7 day text forecast. This will include details like the wind speed you mention.

I am to lazy to be a sailor.
    Sitting on the couch is a great time to learn how to code. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom