A Canadian Weather Plugin using Environment Canada content (1 Viewer)

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: Here's a Canadian Weather Plugin using Environment Canada content

I had planned on doing this as one of the last things. Why? Well, I don't use the image feature! :) The default weather plugin has the ability to add several images for each city. I was thinking of just adding the ability to see up to, say, 5 in total. Any comments?
    This sounds great, 5 is more than I need.

I've already made a change in the code that will appear in the next version. Instead of using the "station" I display the city name. I noticed that the station element in the XML is sometimes empty (mostly for more remote locations). But from what I see the city name is always there. So Brampton or Toronto, for example, will be displayed instead of Toronto Pearson Intl Airport.
    It would be nice to have either or both I think.

I will be adding the weather warning functionality. But the other thing I am adding, which I think is desirable in this instance, is the 7 day text forecast. This will include details like the wind speed you mention.
    Yes I saw the text forecast on the environment Canada site and this would do it.

unitygain

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Looks great so far will come in handy for next week as heading over to Toronoto from the UK, :) my wife is Canadian so we are visiting relations/wedding/fun/halloween/general craic for 16 days :)

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Looks great so far will come in handy for next week as heading over to Toronoto from the UK, :) my wife is Canadian so we are visiting relations/wedding/fun/halloween/general craic for 16 days :)

Craic? You must be Irish! I hope you're having fun whist visiting TO.

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Hey Doug,

I know you are a busy guy just wondered if you have implemented any of the options talked about in this thread.
    I did not even realize MP's built in weather plugin was down because I use this one.
    Thanks again for the great plugin.

Steve

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi, Steve.
    I'm glad you're liking and using the plugin. v0.9 has most of the things you want. I think the thing you were looking for most is the display of jpgs. I'll be doing that next.

Doug

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi, Steve.
    I'm glad you're liking and using the plugin. v0.9 has most of the things you want. I think the thing you were looking for most is the display of jpgs. I'll be doing that next.

Doug
    Doug,
    Thanks for you efforts much appreciated!

I was at version .5?

It would be nice if the text forecast could leave the today info visible and the text forecast pop up as an info panel or at least the option through the skin.

You don't use any <visible></visible> in the skin so I guess the visibilities are all controlled by the plugin. Normally I would hack the xml files to get the effect I am looking for.

The weather warning could use a <visible>control.hastext(16)</visible> to show warnings if the info was already available to be visible. In this way I can control the visibility of the text forecast as well.

I can do simple edits on xml files but I cannot code a line and appreciate your work so ignore this if you want to. :)

Steve

Shurik

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2006
    Alberta
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just found your plugin. Will give it a go today :) I was just looking at Env Canada website reading up on limitations of scraping the data from them and thinking about writing my own plugin while official Weather is broken. Well, now I don't need to write anything myself! Great :)

Few hours later...

Well, that's a bummer - there is no support for StreamedMP skin :( I guess I will have to figure out how to do at least some customization for MP! If I get off my bum and manage to add whatever support is needed for the plugin to with with my skin I'll let you know here.

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It would be nice if the text forecast could leave the today info visible and the text forecast pop up as an info panel or at least the option through the skin.

You don't use any <visible></visible> in the skin so I guess the visibilities are all controlled by the plugin. Normally I would hack the xml files to get the effect I am looking for.

The weather warning could use a <visible>control.hastext(16)</visible> to show warnings if the info was already available to be visible. In this way I can control the visibility of the text forecast as well.

Hi, Steve. I'll look at the visibility tags in the next version. I just released a version with weather jpgs which I think you'll like.

Doug

Well, that's a bummer - there is no support for StreamedMP skin :( I guess I will have to figure out how to do at least some customization for MP! If I get off my bum and manage to add whatever support is needed for the plugin to with with my skin I'll let you know here.

Hi, Shurik.

Yes, unfortunately, only the default skins are supported at the moment. It shouldn't be too hard for anyone using other skins to update the XML to work as I haven't changed that many of the skin control IDs.

Doug

Godevin

Portal Member
    October 29, 2011
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi guys,
    Like others, the MP built-in weather stopped working and I was looking for a replacement. Than I found this plug-in. Just to let you know that I started to port this plug-in to the StreamedMP skin. I'm also able to do french translation if you are interested.

Rich

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi guys,
    Like others, the MP built-in weather stopped working and I was looking for a replacement. Than I found this plug-in. Just to let you know that I started to port this plug-in to the StreamedMP skin. I'm also able to do french translation if you are interested.

Rich

Excellent! :D Let me know if you need any information on the plugin to help with the skin.

I'll make a list of the English strings and PM it to you. I won't get it to you for about a week though.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom