A new Plugin for the Music-Part! Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ideas for PLAYLIST CREATION:

How about if you select a song/album and press AND HOLD the OK button on your remote, this will add to the playlist (don't know if this is user friendly/reliable)? OR, while browsing your music, you press your INFO button, and there's a PLAYLIST MODE available with an ON/OFF marker, that when selected (turned on) will show an additional menu where you can set it up "on the fly". Suggestion for this menu:

* ALBUM MODE | Click on albums to add it wholly [ ] (chosen albums will receive a green border)
    * SINGLE MODE | Click on albums to browse individual tracks [ ] (chosen tracks will receive a green border)
    * AVOID MULTIPLE ENTRIES | Won't add the same track twice [ ]
    * USE LAST.FM/SCROBBLE | Single mode/Album mode could have different options [ ]
    * SIMILAR GENRE RANDOM PLAYLIST FROM x USER TRACKS | Select x tracks, a playlist within these genres will be created

Other useful features could be, SHOW LATEST ADDED TRACKS/ALBUMS, SHOW NEWEST TRACKS/ALBUMS

What I really don't like in MediaPortal's current music (browsing) is that the filenames are shown, instead of the content of the ID3 tags. It's not until you're playing the tracks that they're "pretty names" are shown.

Emph

what's the problem with using the "y" key or the respective action mapped to the remote?
    doing that on an Artist, will cue all songs of the artist to the playlist. On an album all songs of that album and on a dong the song only.

And please use database views

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    what's the problem with using the "y" key or the respective action mapped to the remote?
    doing that on an Artist, will cue all songs of the artist to the playlist. On an album all songs of that album and on a dong the song only.

Is this in the wiki? Or how do people find this out otherwise?

And please use database views

:rolleyes:

I tried again today (using Spragleknas nice guide), but as crazy as it sounds, i still prefer the shares view. I guess I've been spoilt by the luxuries of MP TV-Series and Moving Pictures...

Emph

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    all the keyboard short cuts can be looked up in configuration -> General

just in case you didn't get it before: the luxury within TV-Series and Moving Pictures comes because of the Database.
    There is no shares view within Moving Pictures.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    all the keyboard short cuts can be looked up in configuration -> General

just in case you didn't get it before: the luxury within TV-Series and Moving Pictures comes because of the Database.
    There is no shares view within Moving Pictures.

I really hope this is a language barrier thing, as I don't think how you could miss that I'm clearly aware of this. I'm saying LOUD AND CLEAR that what I want out of this new plugin is a setup similar to the way MP TV-Series imports stuff. Just in case you didn't get it before. :rolleyes: Just setup your import path(s) and the plugin handles everything else via a clever (logical) scraper (perhaps discogs.com could be one source), and not having to depend solely on correct ID3-tags (even if an option to use the downloaded data to write new ones would be nice).

When fforde brought up the idea to start on MovingPictures, there was a ridiculous lobbying campaign against it from a "competing" plugin author, who refused to see how a much simpler way with a way less use for user interaction could be nice to have, as he himself had spent countless hours setting up his movie collection. This somehow echoes that discussion. :(

Edit: I use both MyVideos and Moving Pictures, the latter for Feature Films, and the first for stuff that I won't be using any database for, like home movies/childrens' films. If/when a similar way of treating music comes I will be using MyMusic for my own productions, DJ Promos, free non-signed artists etc.

Emph

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Huh? Which importer? Using the MusicShareWatcher your collection will always be up to date...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Huh? Which importer? Using the MusicShareWatcher your collection will always be up to date...

Yes, but ONLY if you have correct ID3-tags, correct?
    Emph

Do you know that MPTagThat is able to tag "your kid's files" automatically via internet even if they are just named "unknown_x.mp3"? So basically you're not asking for a new music plugin but for some guidance about how to organize a large music collection efficiently?

Btw: all mp3 files I've bought during the last months came with full tags and covers ;)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    No matter how a new plugin will look like.
    to get those features of Moving pictures a database view is a must, which means all your files need to be tagged.
    using a shares view should be the exceptin and it will show only rudimentary information.

above was not a language barrier.
    the same thing comes up over and overagain. Not only from you but from a lot of other users.
    there's constant nagging about missing features and at the same time they refuse to tag the music files correctly.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    MPTagThat can tag your files from the filename. The tags is then read and a database is created.
    This is actually quite similar to how MovingPictures and MP TVSeries work, except it does not write tags to file (not much used for video - if at all).

Anyway, when you RIP or DL music, chances are that the tag is already OK. Checking this up against various Internet sites is just makes it 100 % precise. This way you don't have to deal with the problems of having the following artist:
    R.E.M. -> REM
    The Kinks -> Kinks
    ... it also ensures that audioscrobbler works - both for grabbing art and filling up your playlist.

I am aware of what a PITA it is to tag really old Napster and Kazaa stuff :p. Due to the difference of films/series and music, it is needed to have files at least tagged OK - preferably correct.

This goes for every player, as they all read the taggs.

EDIT: Btw - all my music files is not 100 % correctly tagged! I have started to correct the worst, but this is still WIP. Music browsing is still very good, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom