[fixed] "A reboot is required after a previous action. Reboot your system and try it again" (1 Viewer)

metropolis

Portal Pro
June 1, 2007
Orpington
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with Windows 7 64 bit trying to install any kind of SVN, try to install Setup-MediaPortal-svn-1.1.8.28181.exe and I get is "A reboot is required after a previous action. Reboot your system and try it again".
I obviously have tried re-boots, shuttiongs down, googling and trying various registry edits, I have even done a complete fresh win 7 install, SP1, MP 1.2.0 rc, but STILL get the same problem.
What flag in the registry is the SVN is checking on, so i can manualy adjust this flag and continue with my life. Does anybody know what registry key this would be in windows 7 64 bit please?

Many kind regards.

metropolis

Portal Pro
June 1, 2007
Orpington
Home Country
Re: "A reboot is required after a previous action. Reboot your system and try it agai

Hi DJBlu, many thanks for replying to my propblem.
I already have the X86 version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update, but i re-installed it just in case, no change, still get the same message.
I have attached the logs to this post.
Thanks for your time.

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: "A reboot is required after a previous action. Reboot your system and try it agai

I had the same issue too. I resolved it by deleting a certain file in one of the MP folders that locked the installation process. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the file or even which directory it was and I'm traveling so I can't even check my recycle bin for you to see which one it was. Scan through the MP, TV, Users, and SQL folders and you'll likely see it like I did.

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country

Hi doug, how did you go about discovering which file, or files, was locked and prevented you from installing the SVN?

Cheers.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country

Hello mate,

Check out the following reg key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Is there anything listed?

J.

metropolis

Portal Pro
    June 1, 2007
    Orpington
    Home Country

Hi Jay_UK, yep, already looked there, no luck.

Cheers.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country

How about?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\AutoUpdate\RebootRequired

or:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatile\flags

Or.....

Do a reg search for: PendingFileRenameOperations and make sure nothing is defined (this key might be in several places)

Or......

Download this file from MS: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=40751

Place it on c:\

Then save the following as a vbs file and run it:

Set UpdateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
    Set UpdateServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")
    Set UpdateService = UpdateServiceManager.AddScanPackageService("Offline Sync Service", "c:\wsusscan.cab")
    Set UpdateSearcher = UpdateSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()

WScript.Echo "Searching for updates..." & vbCRLF

UpdateSearcher.ServerSelection = 3 ' ssOthers

UpdateSearcher.ServiceID = UpdateService.ServiceID

Set SearchResult = UpdateSearcher.Search("RebootRequired=")

Set Updates = SearchResult.Updates

If searchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "There are no applicable updates."
    WScript.Quit
    End If

WScript.Echo "List of applicable items on the machine when using wssuscan.cab:" & vbCRLF

For I = 0 to searchResult.Updates.Count-1
    Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)
    WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title
    Next

WScript.Quit

J.

doug

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2010
    Calgary
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Hi doug, how did you go about discovering which file, or files, was locked and prevented you from installing the SVN?

Cheers.

Well, it wasn't the SVN, it was the Beta. It was a late night when I finally fixed it so my recollection could be fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, the file was in the MySQL installation folder. I was installing over top of an existing MySQL installation and the install went awry an kept asking me to reboot. Try deleting the entire MySQL program folder and user data folder and try the install again.

EDIT: oh...now I see you've done a fresh Win7 install. I guess my suggestion might not be relevant.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country

Hi there,

Try installing:

vcredist_x64.exe
    vcredist_x86.exe

There were also another MS patch I used on my W7 x64 system...trying to remeber it

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom