abc.com with no geographic restrictions (or this is how much I love my wife) (2 Viewers)

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
May 17, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
I am planning to write a plugin for abc.com (US).

The individual video episode page for all of the shows for abc shows a "You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories."

But the actual RTMP videos are not geolocked. So, now the trick is how to deduce the RTMP URL. Looking at the the code for ABC module from get-flash-videos, this is possible (for now) by looking at the thumbnail URL.

If anyone else is adventurous enough, here is the plan (do let me know if you begin before me):
  1. Look at the RSS feed for list of all shows
  2. For individual shows, follow the link and then find the URL for the RSS feed for that show and then look at its contents
  3. Look at the thumbnail URL for each episode and convert it to RTMP
This is how much I love my wife (since I'm doing all this only because she want to watch episodes of One Life to Live).

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
Hmm....not working for me. I imported it from the Global sites. In the Online Videos configuration it is the only site that I have that shows up highlighted in red (not sure what that means). In MePo, I dont even see the site. I think something is wrong.

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
May 17, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hmm....not working for me. I imported it from the Global sites. In the Online Videos configuration it is the only site that I have that shows up highlighted in red (not sure what that means). In MePo, I dont even see the site. I think something is wrong.
Looks like the latest dll is not downloaded. Could you check in the OnlineVideos.log for a line like:
Code:
Looking for SiteUtils in Assembly: OnlineVideos.Sites.corporategadfly
and see if the timestamp is recent.

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
All I could find it that log was the following:

Code:
[01-29 22:45:08,587] [OVInit      ] [INFO ] Using language 'en'
[01-29 22:45:08,602] [OVInit      ] [WARN ] Cannot find translation file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Language\OnlineVideos\en.xml'.  Falling back to English (US)
[01-29 22:45:08,743] [OVInit      ] [INFO ] Thumbnails will be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\OnlineVideos\ with a maximum age of 20 days.
[01-29 22:45:09,555] [OVInit      ] [INFO ] Loaded 95 sites from OnlineVideoSites.xml
[01-29 22:45:11,540] [OVInit      ] [WARN ] SiteUtil with name: ABC not found!
[01-29 22:45:11,634] [OVInit      ] [INFO ] Created 31 SiteUtils

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
May 17, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
All I could find it that log was the following:

Code:
[01-29 22:45:11,540] [OVInit      ] [WARN ] SiteUtil with name: ABC not found!
That suggests that the dll is old.
Set you logging to Verbosity: Debug in MP Configuration, so you/we can see more.
We can confirm that by looking at the timestamp if you increase verbosity.

Try a full update (hopefully that will pull the new dll).

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
Well, I went to set the logging to debug and then magically everything worked. Might have been that I let it update all sites again. Not sure, but it works.

I dont suppose this would work for the other networks?

Thanks!

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
May 17, 2011
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well, I went to set the logging to debug and then magically everything worked. Might have been that I let it update all sites again. Not sure, but it works.

I dont suppose this would work for the other networks?

Thanks!
Glad it worked out. Unfortunately, no such luck with the other American networks. I almost got Fox working at one point. It is definitely geo-locked and I never finished it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom