[solved] AC3 filter for Music playing (1 Viewer)

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hello,

I would like to ask you for support - how to use AC3 filter for playing of Music files.

The reason for AC3 filter is to play audio DTS and AC3 files in MP, AFAIK LAV liters in "Codec and Renderer" setting can play only DTS if I have dtsdecoder.dll, which I have from Total Media SW, but it does not play dolby files (AC3). I am not using SPDIF but I have connected 6 channel power amplifier to analog output of my HTPC with Realtek ALC 887 chip.

Now I found out AC3 filter, which can be used instead of LAV filters in "Codec and Renderer" and this AC3 filter can handle DTS and AC3 files without any problem. AC3 filter can set up also equalization for each channel separately, which Realtek audio driver does not do.

My issue is I can not find the way, how to allow to use AC3 filter also for Music files - I can select only from Bass engine, WASAPI and internal dshow player. As I dont want to have 2 audio settings - 1 for Live TV, DVD, BR and video files and 1 for music files -> I would like to use also AC3 filter for music files as well, but no idea how to do it.

Can someone help me, please?

Thank you.
    marttoma

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Playback of .dts and .ac3 Files should work ootB in WASAPI mode.
    Playback audiofiles with ac3filter, lavf, ffdshow...isn't possible afaik.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Alright I found out how to do the upmix with BASS:

upload_2017-1-6_22-15-17.png

Thus I can use AC3Filter for movies and BASS for music.
    Marking that thread has solved I guess since the main goal was to achieve music upmix not to use the AC3Filter.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure how to do that no.
    For your original request (just in case somebody is still interested for some reason)...

AFAIK in order for AC3Filter (or any other particular filter) to be used, AC3Filter must have the highest merit setting among all codecs that are capable of handling the media format.
    There are many available tools that could enable you to check and change codec merits (Filmerit, GraphStudio etc.).

--- General warning to all readers ---
    In my opinion changing codec merits is a "power-user" or expert task because it affect all programs. I'd strongly recommend to learn a bit about DirectShow codecs and codec merits before you make any changes. I take no responsibility for problems caused by following the instructions below.
    --- end of warning ---

Filmerit...
    http://paul.glagla.free.fr/filmerit_en.htm

upload_2017-1-7_10-13-28.png

Click Display (top menu) -> Edit Merits (or click merit editor - first icon in the fourth group from the left at the top).

upload_2017-1-7_10-17-20.png

Now you can enter the new merit value. Values are hexadecimal numbers.

In order to apply the change, you must go out of read-only mode first (padlock in the top right corner). Pay attention to the warnings.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-7_10-12-50.png
      upload_2017-1-7_10-12-50.png
      166 bytes

marttoma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2014
    Praha
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Thus I can use AC3Filter for movies and BASS for music.
    Marking that thread has solved I guess since the main goal was to achieve music upmix not to use the AC3Filter.

I had same opinium in past, but not today. In my case I did not like these two things:
    1) the volume level of music via BASS was different against to the volume for video/TV/DVD files
    2) the audio qulity - i.e. surroug effect for 5+1 configuration was different (with Ac3 better) with AC3 filter against to the BASS

AC3 filter as I mentioned above can set up more then standard realtek audio driver - as far as I rememeber:
    1) equalization setting level per each speaker
    2) frequency equalization setting by user
    3) LFE setting to the front speakers or to the loud speaker - for both limited frequency can be set up
    4) plenty of settings for surround
    5) DRC

I think it is benefit to set up audio for all type of files in one codec SW to keep audio quality on same level for all type of content. Would it be possible to implement AC3 support in to the Music part of MePo? The merit is the way, but as mm1352000 mentioned above, it affects all programs...

I am using AC3 almost 3 years without any crash by now.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    AFAIK LAV liters in "Codec and Renderer" setting can play only DTS if I have dtsdecoder.dll, which I have from Total Media SW, but it does not play dolby files (AC3).

Just a quick, off-topic, correction - LAV Audio Decoder can decode AC3 and DTS (including DTS-HD natively since version 0.65, so it does not need dtsdecoder.dll to do that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom