[TV] Add timeshift buffer to a recording (2 Viewers)

shummi

Portal Pro
February 24, 2010
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi @infinite.loop

When you watch a live show, it creates a time shift file, when you change channel it still record to the same file.
so first i think it should create a new file on channel change.
After that, when you after 10 min. choose to record, MP could keep this time-shift file, and rename it and move it to record folder when finished.
Just a thought

/Shummi

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    I am not sure how the appending would work since it has to appear instant to the user. Also, even after the user hits record, they should be able to move back and forth seamlessly between what has been timeshifted and what is recorded tv.

Also, I think that the feature should be egp aware. In other words, if I started watching tv 1.5 hours ago, but then a new show comes on 10 minutes ago and I want to record it, the only part of the ts buffer that should be appended to the recording is from the beginning of the show as indicated by the egp (maybe using the default pre and post buffer options).

shummi

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @mattjcurry
    You got a point.
    I haven't found any reliable TS-file cutter, so a possibility is to create 2 TS-files, when recording starts.
    1. Normal time-shift file.
    2. Record-file, that's:
    • Named the with the actual EPG info
    • EPG-aware, so filecreation starts with pre and post buffer
    • Channel change aware. so filecreation starts when channel changes.
    This will require double (tripple) the filespace.
    Then when the user hits record, MP will:
    • Show Record "red-dot"
    • Show warning if user try to change channel
    • After recording, move the already saved file to recordfolder.
    /Shummi

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I have top clarify a bit:
    there is already a TS-file cutter in the TvService, because this feature was already available in TVE2 and experimental in TVE3, but seems to be broken currently.
    Also you don't need multiple ts files.
    You can just copy that specific part from the timeshiftbuffer-file to the beginning of the recording file.
    The hard part is to determine at which position exactly the recording started and get only the relevant part of the timeshiftfile over to the recording ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The hard part is to determine at which position exactly the recording started and get only the relevant part of the timeshiftfile over to the recording ;)
    Hard? You can say that again!
    Currently it is not possible as TsWriter has no concept of "current position". All that stuff is playback domain - TsReader.
    Joining or cutting TS files is relatively simple. I think the current behaviour could be improved by joining the files automatically, but cutting to program is non-trivial. A smart solution is needed if it is possible at all.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This was already looked at ?last year? and someone made a mod/branch with a lot of changes, it was able to do it. I think the changes had some undesirable effects as well.... Anyway It was also looked at by some of the MP team and it was decided that it required too many changes to make it into mediaportal.

EDIT: Here it is
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/step-2-add-already-watched-ts-buffer-to-recording.81937/

EDIT2: Derp linked in first post...

However I think this feature would be great, I could see it implemented 3 ways

1. Press Record, MP looks at the epg, decides what time the program started and uses timeshift from that position + a precord buffer

2. User time shifts backwards then presses record at the point he wants to record then chooses to stop recording when the program is finished via the same dialog box we get currenty (manual stop vs record current program)

3. User time shifts backwards then presses record at the point he wants to record, chooses manual stop, then he can skip forward in the timeshift buffer and press stop. The recording could only span the timeshift buffer or it could include part of the timeshift buffer and part of the "live buffer"

So when you press Record you get the following dialog

Record entire show
    Record from now till show end
    Record from now till manual stop

Last edited:

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi

This a "killer feature". The Linux VDR distribution can do this, they use only one TS-file which gets deleted when you change channel.
    If you decide to record when in TS-mode it copies all the data from the show you want to record to new recording and merges it with the "live recording" stream.

You cannot change the channel until the copying process is finished.
    One disadvantage is that when you accidentally change the channel in TS mode all data is gone and you can only resume to the show in live mode - missing quite a lot.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi

This a "killer feature". The Linux VDR distribution can do this, they use only one TS-file which gets deleted when you change channel.
    If you decide to record when in TS-mode it copies all the data from the show you want to record to new recording and merges it with the "live recording" stream.

You cannot change the channel until the copying process is finished.
    One disadvantage is that when you accidentally change the channel in TS mode all data is gone and you can only resume to the show in live mode - missing quite a lot.

Have you checked: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/include-timeshift-buffer-in-recordings.121648/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom