[Videos] Adding madVR support (3 Viewers)

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Andy22:
Sorry, i dind mean you are an idiot at all.

I checked the link you posted. It looks like this player using build in decoder, not external one. This explain how it is possible. It copy image from PC memory to GPU memory, decode it by using DXVA 2.0 interface then send it back to PC memory. From here it is sended to madVR as already decoded image. This is exactly how nevs. LAV video decoder should use DXVA 2.0 (when it add support).

This is similar how VLC/XBMC working.
But right now it is not possible to use it outside player.

Andy22

Portal Member
September 10, 2011
Oki no offence taken, but if potplayer/vlc/xbmc can do it than its more a support question and not like u stated ".. madVR (and i doubt it will ever be)".? In fact potplayer is not even a "big player" so it seems a rather minor support implementation.

All i can ask for is a little open minded thinking on how to get madVR working with MP, without starting a "political" debatte. There are users which would love to see madVR support and madshi is even open to ideas, so is it about development time spend on this feature against other features or some other "internal" problems?

What sadden me most is that most players have those scaling and color/level problems and they all should know that its a quite complex pipeline from a encoded video to the final TV output frame and yet i as user have to manually take care that all works, i dont know how many articles i already read to get a understanding what btb/wtw/gamma/chroma upscaling bug/srgb/yuv/yv12/24p/reclock/dxva/cuda actually means. I really would love a world, where i can just play a video and dont have to care at all. But at least now i can calibrate and tell why my movies look "washed out" and i also know what to do in other players and can check my decoding chain. So if madVR solves some problems of this chain, i'm happy that it exists and use it.

bye Andy

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    All i can ask for is a little open minded thinking on how to get madVR working with MP, without starting a "political" debatte. There are users which would love to see madVR support and madshi is even open to ideas, so is it about development time spend on this feature against other features or some other "internal" problems?

Please read the complete thread and you will find the technical issues discussed. It is not as simple to integrat madVR into MediaPortal since the nature of these two (at current state both need to be able to do the renderer - which is a bit conflicting issue :)).

- hardware accelerated video decoding (DXVA) is currently not supported
    - hardware accelerated deinterlacing (DXVA) is currently not supported
    - no manual color controls (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue)

These three could be considered as "political" debate - those aren't blocking issues at all from the team perspective (it was not a team member who brought those up :)). Actually those wont matter at all.

To sum up quickly what would be needed to happen to get madVR support into MP:

• DVD must work with madVR + Windows Vista / Windows 7 - this is a basic feature of MediaPortal and it must be available under all renderers
    • madVR must support MediaPortal Audio Renderer which is most likely going to be part of 1.3.0 release (depending on schedules etc.). madVR cannot simply copy the MediaPortal's EVR presenter part of code since it is not itself under GPL so this would require some effort from madshi.
    • madVR must have an interface that just provides the texture as callback (rendering / presentation must be done on MediaPortal's GUI engine based on that)
    • We need to find a developer who has time for the integration (it is not simple day or two task)

Andy22

Portal Member
    September 10, 2011
    - hardware accelerated video decoding (DXVA) is currently not supported
    - hardware accelerated deinterlacing (DXVA) is currently not supported
    - no manual color controls (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue)

To sum up quickly what would be needed to happen to get madVR support into MP:

• DVD must work with madVR + Windows Vista / Windows 7 - this is a basic feature of MediaPortal and it must be available under all renderers
    • madVR must support MediaPortal Audio Renderer which is most likely going to be part of 1.3.0 release (depending on schedules etc.). madVR cannot simply copy the MediaPortal's EVR presenter part of code since it is not itself under GPL so this would require some effort from madshi.
    • madVR must have an interface that just provides the texture as callback (rendering / presentation must be done on MediaPortal's GUI engine based on that)
    • We need to find a developer who has time for the integration (it is not simple day or two task)

Oki i understand all this, what i don't understand is: Can the "trick" potPlayer use to get madVR with DXVA working also work for MP? As i understand it u need direct control over the outputted data/decoder and manually have to copy the contents, so a default dshow graph wont work. What about a special intermediate "copy" filter just right between the dxva decoder and the renderer or so to speak 1 fake dxva renderer filter dummy connected to the real that just does the copy part so dxva can work. If this don't work i guess maybe its possible to could work with the LAVFilter guy to get the LAVFilters special support for this setup? I also saw that madVR has a decoder pane, maybe thats a way to get the missing link for DXVA working. I don't actually need dxva to work, since cuda works as well for my setup, but i know that if madVR support should happen a lot of media centers need DXVA working.

Can u hint me to the correct source for MP1.2 and the files the renderer/handling/callbacks for this particular part happens, i just want to see if i understand anything at all.

thx Andy

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Oki i understand all this, what i don't understand is: Can the "trick" potPlayer use to get madVR with DXVA working also work for MP? As i understand it u need direct control over the outputted data/decoder and manually have to copy the contents, so a default dshow graph wont work. What about a special intermediate "copy" filter just right between the dxva decoder and the renderer or so to speak 1 fake dxva renderer filter dummy connected to the real that just does the copy part so dxva can work. If this don't work i guess maybe its possible to could work with the LAVFilter guy to get the LAVFilters special support for this setup?

Problem is not related to DXVA in anyway (no DXVA support is a limitation of current madVR - not sure if it is planned to be implemented). If madVR would have DXVA support it still wouldn't be possible to use it with MediaPortal.

PotPlayer's approach can only solve the DXVA support, not the GUI & video rendering "issue". If you ask from me it is just an ugly way to enable DXVA - people should just use LAV CUVID or some relevant non-DXVA based decoder with madVR.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What sadden me most is that most players have those scaling and color/level problems and they all should know that its a quite complex pipeline from a encoded video to the final TV output frame and yet i as user have to manually take care that all works, i dont know how many articles i already read to get a understanding what btb/wtw/gamma/chroma upscaling bug/srgb/yuv/yv12/24p/reclock/dxva/cuda actually means. I really would love a world, where i can just play a video and dont have to care at all. But at least now i can calibrate and tell why my movies look "washed out" and i also know what to do in other players and can check my decoding chain.

Cool. I'd love it if you could explain it to me ;) Perhaps in my thread here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-331/recommended-ccc-video-settings-101121/

As I say there, what I find most confusing is how to calibrate my desktop, so that games, etc look right and then which codec and settings I have to use to make sure my video looks right as well. Also I don't know whether using different colorspaces (NV12 for PowerDVD/TV, RGB32 for ffdshow/everything else) will result in one or the other not displaying as it should.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hey tourettes & all

Madshi is currently working with tiben to add support for XBMC which includes a dedicated interface to madVR ... there is potential for MP to leverage off this as well?
    madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Page 577 - Doom9's Forum

Who knows. It depends on few things:

• Some MP dev needs to have free time and interest
    • Interface must be usable (if it works for XBMC then it is highly likely it works for MP's purposes as well)

Point 1 is quite much out of my hands since 1) I have no free time (blu-ray takes all the time... it did stal the whoel audio renderer work already...) 2) to get me interested I would have to have MP Audio Renderer support as well (see some previous posts in this thread). There is no personal gain from madVR if I cannot use MP Audio Renderer with it -> I wont work on areas that wont give personal benefit. It is quite unlikely that Madshi would add anything MP specific to support the MP Audio Renderer and as madVR is closed source it is higly unlikely that I can add it :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    After a year, where is the situation ?
    MadVr is an actor, in Display Family as EVR.
    i understand Tourettes your position about MPAR, why work for nothing !

@hoborg : can you converse with Madshi for add support of MPAR ? I understand is a specific dev for he.

Screenshot for comparaison with MadVR (1)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom