Adding new channels to WebEPG? (1 Viewer)

turtle_07

October 1, 2007
I've used media portal for maybe about 8 hours now. Everything is really smooth, and neat. Except for the guide function.

I don't even understand how the built in XML grabber is supposed to work, and WebEPG has a nice guide and is really easy to use... but I only have one web site to choose from (I'm in the US, and the only website it lists is yahoo). Now i'll admit that my college has a lot of small New York based fox affiliates and such and those might be weird, but when one of the forty offered channels isn't Cartoon Network or Comedy Central, that's a little weird.

How can I go about adding new websites and channels to the WebEPG?

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi turtle,
That's what I'm trying to figure out for a while now...(in my case for the Netherlands)

There is a webguide of how to add new EPGwebsites, but I'm not a programmer and don't know how to start...
Unfortunately, to this point, nobody seems to be able/want to help me on my way. :(

Maybe you can figure out what to do or how to start:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortal_Setup_Customising_WebEPG
Please let me know if you can figure out how to start for the website you prefer to use. :)

turtle_07

October 1, 2007
I saw the link when I was in the process of installing media portal. I can kinda make out how it works, and if I had to I imagine I could add new channels.

It still says nothing about where to get this new channels from and how to add the websites.

Thanks though.

kkendall

Portal Pro
April 24, 2007
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
If you want to add EPG to new channels that are not available yet, you have to find a website that has EPG for these channels.
Once you've found a website with the desired EPG on it, the site must have a format/structure you can make a xml file of. Unfortunately I don't have a clue what structure, format or what not to look for...

So if you want to get new EPGchannels and add websites it's up to you to find the right website and write the correct xml file. The only info you can get here is the "Customizing WebEPG" page (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/MediaPortal_Setup_Customising_WebEPG)

And this xml/ini file has to be placed in the Countryfolder in the WebEPG folder to work

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi guys,

turtle_07, I'm sorry to say US has never been well supported by WebEPG. Until recently the Zap2it plugin was the best option. There are a few threads discussing epg data in the US. I am led to believe that the yahoo site has changed and config needs to be updated, but haven't had time to check this and correct it.

As for adding sites, I am happy to help :) If you want to post the site URL, I can take a look at it and tell you if it will work with WebEPG and start you off.

Adding missing channels on an existing site is an easy process. I can help here too. There is also a thread I started about getting the all the sites up to date.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just as info this is also a good site to get EPG info from, it has channels from different countries and is fairly well filled...

http://www.zita.be/tv/nu-op-tv/

True, look pretty complete, for Belgium...
    Maybe you can find someone who wants to write the xml file for it, if the site can be used for that. Or maybe you can do it yourself if you have the knowledge and you really want to use that site :)

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Just as info this is also a good site to get EPG info from, it has channels from different countries and is fairly well filled...

http://www.zita.be/tv/nu-op-tv/

True, look pretty complete, for Belgium...
    Maybe you can find someone who wants to write the xml file for it, if the site can be used for that. Or maybe you can do it yourself if you have the knowledge and you really want to use that site :)

I would do it if someone can tell me if it would work and maybe help me trough it with some examples...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom