Additional duplicate freeview channels suddenly picked up (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I have my aerial pointing at Crystal Palace and have my DVB-T card only scan for channels from this transponder.

I have just re-scanned and it has suddenly picked up some additional duplicate channels, including channel 4, channel 5 and E4.

I don't understand this as I should only get one Freeview version of each channel.

I have tried both my original channel 5 and the new one and they appear identical.

I have had a look at the tuning details for each and everything is identical (ruling out my picking up channel 5 from another transponder) except for the Transport ID - the original shows 8197 and the new shows 8206.

What is the difference between these and should I just delete the new duplicate channel?

Thanks

Alex

Last edited:

riksmith

Portal Pro
April 18, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
If both channels work fine although having a different TransportID / frequency i would say that your provider is broadcasting the channel on 2 transport streams / frequencies. I don't live in your country so i can not confirm.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Hi there,

I have been messing around with the server and seems that the problem is stranger than I first thought.

I have and HVR-2200 Hauppauge card, which has two dvb-t tuners in it.

I have tried wiping all my channels and rescanning and it appears that this is where things get strange - the first tuner picks up all the usual freeview channels.

The second finds the duplicates but then says that it has found additional channels.

I checked what these were but it seems that both tuners have found identical channels BUT with the second tuner, some of the channels all have the channel number 10000.

I have wiped and rescanned a few times and the same group of channels keep coming back with 10000 as their channel number.

What could be causing this?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I checked what these were but it seems that both tuners have found identical channels BUT with the second tuner, some of the channels all have the channel number 10000.

I had exactly the same problem recently - in the end I just deleted the '10000' number (duplicate) channels and it's been fine since. There does appear to be a scanning/channel numbering issue with 1.3.0 sometimes, but we don't know why (yet).

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Owlsroost - thanks for that.

It is good to know that this is a software problem and not my TV card on its way out.

One quick thing to be wary about when deleting the the "10000" duplicate channels - you will essentially be deleting those channels of the second tuner, meaning that you might suddenly find that you start getting the dreaded "all cards are busy" message.

The temporary fix I have found is to do a scan with the second tuner and keep deleting the "10000" channels and re-scanning. After about five or six goes, the proper channels with regular numbers get picked up and everything is fine.

What I don't know is what happens if you re-scan after this (something that I am not going to try at the moment, given that I have finally got things up and running again).

Riksmith - very good point about the logs. The next time I (or anyone else) get this problem again, perhaps they could attach logs to try and work out what is going on here.

Thanks

Alex

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The cause of these strange issue is not yet found. Based on logs in other threads we have determined that receiving the wrong TSID value from our TsWriter is the cause of the issues. What we do not know yet is why such an incorrect TSID is being returned from the TsWriter.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK - we think we have found/fixed the problem - attached is an *experimental* TsWriter.ax to try (only for 1.3.0 TV Server) - just stop TV service, make a backup copy of the original TsWriter.ax, and replace it with the new one - then re-start TV service and try some scans.

Attachments

• TsWriter_SDT_0x42_only.zip
      116.3 KB

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks, this seems to have done the trick and I no longer get any channels on Ch. 10000 and the EPG seems to have grabbed all the data. There's still a load of "IdleEpgGrabber: no channel found for networkid:" messages in the log but I guess that doesn't really matter if it's getting all the data. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom