Tools and other software Advice for editing Mediaportal recordings (1 Viewer)

sparky21

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    I cant get MCEbuddy to go properly will fiddle with it some more. In the mean time Im having good results with smart cutter and handbrake. Smart Cutter is supposed to leave a watermark in the unregistered version, but I cant see it....
    Cheers.

Yep so Buddy has what I want and have tweeted the single setting in the config file that slows it down a whole bunch. Currently running some tests, but it seems to take forever to do the conversion either way. I actually want to run something straight away rather than waiting a long period to convert what I want to keep, which would be easier it has to said.

Does mediaportal have any other format than .ts to record into? A plugin that records in another format or ....?

Sparky

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi Sparky :)

I can't really comment on the technical side but you are correct - it is stored as it is received.

To compress it (encode to diff codec) is a very CPU intensive process not catered for by MP.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi All

Just found this little gem which is very easy to use, Freemake Video Converter, with this you can edit files to cut out adverts, then encode into your favourite file format afterwards and its totally free, with no annoying webpage opening (MediaCoder take note), also for Nvidia owners it uses CUDA :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just to attempt to better answer sparky21:
    Why when some other formats store in so much more compressed manners? Is .TS a native that everyone else can work with avoiding issues of different codecs and more or ....?
    Talking about compression efficiency with TS is somewhat misleading. TS is just a container format like MPEG or MKV. TS files can contain h.264 or MPEG 2 video, MPEG or AAC audio, subtitles, teletext... and probably a variety of other stuff/formats too. When you tune to a channel with a digital tuner, TV Server receives the set of channels available on the same transponder/multiplex all wrapped up in a big TS container. What TV Server does is take the channel that you want to record/view, separate that from the other channels in the tuners TS container, and then copy it to your HDD in its own TS container. The encoding efficiency does not change during that process. In other words, the encoding format and efficiency depend entirely on what is supplied by the tuner, and the tuner just supplies what it receives over-the-air from the broadcaster...

Theoretically it would be possible to re-encode the video + audio on-the-fly so that you get it in your preferred format and at a preferred quality level. In fact, we already encode analog signals on-the-fly for analog tuners that don't have hardware encoders. The thing is (as Ray correctly said), it would take a significant amount of CPU/GPU power to do the encoding in real time... to the point where it would certainly limit the number of channels you could concurrently watch/record with a single TV Server. Everyone would need very high end computers (or at least, computers that have only become mainstream in the last couple of years) just to do the basic things that have been taken for granted since TV Server was created 5+ (???) years ago. Recording the stream to the HDD as-received was the right design decision to make at the time TV Server was created. With today's more powerful computers it may be possible to re-encode on-the-fly for a limited number of channels. If that is a desirable feature then there is no particular reason why it couldn't be added, although I'd say it should probably be done as a part of MP 2 - it would be a *very* big job.

mm

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Re-encoding is pretty much becoming a mute point when you can pick up a 2tb hdd for £55 in UK delivered, plus there will always be degradation to the end file, I ask myself in this day and age is it worth the time and effort.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Fantastic find old chap - Freemake Video Converter seems a great program all but for one thing:

I like to create videos that keep the subtitles but then have the ability to turn them on and off. This program (as far as I can tell) either allows you to permanently burn them into the video or otherwise gets rid of them. Is there any way to try and do what I am aiming for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom