Advice on TV cards choice for Australia... please! (1 Viewer)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Watching one channel and recording another results in some weird behaviour. So does recording 2 channels at the same time. Plan isnt necessarily flawed but another person to help me supply logs/info on getting these bugs ironed out would be great.

I can have both cards and still schedule single recordings without problem its just using both cards at the same time that have a few problems. Im trying to make them reproducable to get them fixed.

C

crayons

Oh. That sounds a bit disappointing. Hope you get yourself fixed up there.

With my (very!) limited appreciation of the subject I'd take a stab at a problem unrelated to the tuners... not speed of the HDD or processor or some such?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    If I record 2 shows at the same time. 1st is good, second is jerky. If I stop 1st one half way through, the second is still jerky all the way through. HDD light is barely flicking and cpu usage is only up around 60%

C

crayons

Callifo... maybe I'm way off beam here, but I've just been reading about the limitations of PCI (which is why everything is moving to PCI Express) - I'm actually trying to work out how the hell I'm going to fit the 3x tuner cards I'm talking about and a wireless network card (all available only in PCI it would seem) into a motherboard with only 2 PCI slots. They seem to all be turning to PCI express.

Anyway - back to topic - it strikes me that shifting enough data for 2x HD images through the PCI bus at the same time is a big ask. Then again, I may be talking bollocks.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Thats what I got, I squeezed it in fairly well.

150MCE | spare slot | nova-t | wireless | nova-t

Also its not HD its SD so there shouldnt be that much problem.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I gave up on two DVB-T PCI cards as well. I figured it was due to me using two Compro cards. They seem to need dedicated resources and don't like sharing with other components.
    I'm thinking a USB2 card might improve things, but I just hate having too many things hanging out the back of my PC. Any recommendations for a nice and cheap USB2 Digital Tuner?
    How many people are using two digital tuner cards with no problems?

Colonel Flagg

January 10, 2005
    How many people are using two digital tuner cards with no problems?

Hate to say it but I have all sorts of problems with 2 Visionplus cards in MP but in MCE2005 they are rock solid. Can have 2 shows recording while watching a third (previously recorded).

I believe it is not a hardware limitaion ie PCI bus etc but the software running it.

It is still early days for MP and we will get there.

Mike[/list]

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    crayons said:
    but the Novat-T does HD, right?

Yes it does, I just dont see the point recording HDTV if you only have a SDTV to watch it on. If you have a nice HDTV Plasma/LCD then it would be a different story :p

voxmortis

Portal Member
    May 19, 2005
    Sydney, Straya.
    Callifo - you sure you're getting enough juice from your PSU?

Running 3 tuner cards, a wireless network card, a 6200... plus any unpowered USB periphs you've got - that's pretty tight if you've only a 300W PSU.

I'm running a 300W Antec, and have a powered 4port USB hub for my wireless keyboard/remote/joypad/analogue capture devices - just so I have power for the rest of the machine (6600GT, FusionHDTV Lite).

Just a thought, anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom