Advice Required: Building a new Freeview PC-PVR (3 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I select: Online Videos
    It currently displays various icons including:
    a: BBC iPlayer: Which I can access and play programs, Ive not tried to download any yet.
    b: Youtube: Which I can access and play videos.
    Although I don't see how anyone would have the patients to use it, as it seems to be just a jumble of titles that mean very little to me!
    c: Nasa:
    d: ITV iPlayer

So the last 2:
    If I select a program to play, I get the error popup: Unable to play video, No URL

I have looked around all of the obvious settings, but it's not clear where & how I can provide the URL for these sites? Any ideas

NB: The BBC iPlayer seemed to setup automatically, as I haven't entered any path for that.

:) Yes indeed with YouTube.
    The No URL error is most likely due to a change at the ITV, not your problem (nothing you can do to fix that) but I need to confirm that, unfortunately I am in the middle of a system rebuild and only have limited availability so will have to leave that till latter this week.
    Confirm what @CyberSimian posted that with no DVBT2 radio here I can't help and we need someone else to respond on the EPG access.

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Radio is not displayed separately but part of TV. You need to add your radio channels to a dedicated TV channel group and switch to this group from within TV.

The underlying software platform (TVE 3.0) is treating TV and Radio channels separately. It is therefore not possible to add both TV and Radio channels to the same group.

The only way is to create separate groups for TV and Radio and switch between them.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It seems that tags from this thread don't work. I saw my name tagged 3 times, but I never got a notice @high

Coming to the questions. It's not a skin point, the EPG is filled from a model behind and currently Radio and TV are mixed. There is an open work package to separate both EPG, but I've no idea when this will be done. I didn't fully understand why playing radio channels is unreliable & unpredictable, it works 100% as for TV channels.
    I see also some misunderstandings about the home content of Nereus skin. Please see the work in progress WIKI for the skin here.
    Radio channels can be played from the TV-Guide (there is a quick shortcut for this). If Radio Channels are placed into another group, also the channel group can be spcifically set only for radio channels.

If the problem is somewhere else, I didn't catch it fully. Also I'm not using TV/Radio with MP2, so configured it only once for skinning purposes.

For Radio, I'd generally advice using WebRadio plugin for MP2 at the moment. It has a separate main menu entry and handles nothing else than radio. The only thing is, that you can not do recordings here, just listen to them.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    HTPCSourcer said: The only way is to create separate groups for TV and Radio and switch between them.
    Is the above even possible? In MP1:
    • From the TV EPG, I can select any other TV channel group.
    • From the radio EPG, I can select any other radio channel group.
    • But from the TV EPG, I cannot select a radio channel group.
    • From the radio EPG, I cannot select a TV channel group.
    Does MP2 allow choosing a radio channel group from the TV EPG?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I select: Online Videos
    It currently displays various icons including:
    a: BBC iPlayer: Which I can access and play programs, Ive not tried to download any yet.
    b: Youtube: Which I can access and play videos.
    Although I don't see how anyone would have the patients to use it, as it seems to be just a jumble of titles that mean very little to me!
    c: Nasa:
    d: ITV iPlayer

So the last 2:
    If I select a program to play, I get the error popup: Unable to play video, No URL

I have looked around all of the obvious settings, but it's not clear where & how I can provide the URL for these sites? Any ideas

NB: The BBC iPlayer seemed to setup automatically, as I haven't entered any path for that.

OK I have had a chance to look at this on MP2 and can confirm that I can not get anything to play from ITV, I either get "No URL" or it offers me a selection of streams but none play.Also looks like some the categories are defective. In MP1 although all ITV live and most catchup also are "No URL" some catchup does work, since you are in the UK can you try Agatha Christies Pirot episode 4 (Clocks) from the A-Z section as that is one that does work on MP1. Sadly I believe this is typical of the sad state of this plugin which has little or no maintenance these days and I believe Nasa is another that has not worked for years.Bottom line is it is not you and don't expect any fixes soon.
    By the way if you go to Live TV section in Iplayer and let me know if BBC2 works for you, it does not for me, but all the others are OK.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    OK I have had a chance to look at this on MP2 and can confirm that I can not get anything to play from ITV, I either get "No URL" or it offers me a selection of streams but none play.Also looks like some the categories are defective. In MP1 although all ITV live and most catchup also are "No URL" some catchup does work, since you are in the UK can you try Agatha Christies Pirot episode 4 (Clocks) from the A-Z section as that is one that does work on MP1. Sadly I believe this is typical of the sad state of this plugin which has little or no maintenance these days and I believe Nasa is another that has not worked for years.Bottom line is it is not you and don't expect any fixes soon.
    By the way if you go to Live TV section in Iplayer and let me know if BBC2 works for you, it does not for me, but all the others are OK.

OK: On my MP2
    1: ITV iPlayer / Re: Agatha Christies Poirot episode 4 (Clocks) from the A-Z section / No...
    this is the same as everything I've tried before, eg: "No URL"
    2: Live TV section in Iplayer and let me know if BBC2 works / Yes this is working for me.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    It seems that tags from this thread don't work. I saw my name tagged 3 times, but I never got a notice @high

Coming to the questions. It's not a skin point, the EPG is filled from a model behind and currently Radio and TV are mixed. There is an open work package to separate both EPG, but I've no idea when this will be done. I didn't fully understand why playing radio channels is unreliable & unpredictable, it works 100% as for TV channels.
    I see also some misunderstandings about the home content of Nereus skin. Please see the work in progress WIKI for the skin here.
    Radio channels can be played from the TV-Guide (there is a quick shortcut for this). If Radio Channels are placed into another group, also the channel group can be spcifically set only for radio channels.

If the problem is somewhere else, I didn't catch it fully. Also I'm not using TV/Radio with MP2, so configured it only once for skinning purposes.

For Radio, I'd generally advice using WebRadio plugin for MP2 at the moment. It has a separate main menu entry and handles nothing else than radio. The only thing is, that you can not do recordings here, just listen to them.
    Yes, it does (The button "All Channels" opens a dialog to select a group and the button name changes to the current selection).
    Configuration needs to be done by "MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration" though.View attachment 208267

To clarify: Re Nereus skin.
    The first problem:
    I cant find any user instructions for this (or any other) skin, so I don't know how this (or any other) skin, is supposed to work, so it's all guess work.

So this is what currently happens.
    If I click on its TV Guide icon, then the TV EPG opens.
    If I select its vertical word (button?): [All Channels] then it goes green.
    If I then press the remotes [OK] button, then a popup list appears that offers these 2 option, twice, eg:
    [All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    [All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    Whichever I select, the window just displays the TV EPG , and no Radio Listings.

So what is supposed to happen when I select either of those two options?
    Are they supposed to enable me to switch from TV to Radio EPG ?
    Or should I be selecting the Radio EPG in some other way?

If something needs to be setup in MP2 to allow this to work, then how do I do that?

Many thanks

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    2: Live TV section in Iplayer and let me know if BBC2 works / Yes this is working for me.
    Many thanks for that but I just realised I did not make that question completely clear, I was asking about BBC2 in the Iplayer Live section of Online Videos not the desktop Iplayer app. Very sorry but please can you confirm your answer was BBC2 Live in Online Videos?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The first problem:
    I cant find any user instructions for this (or any other) skin, so I don't know how this (or any other) skin, is supposed to work, so it's all guess work.
    I gave to the link to Wiki with the skin descriptions in last post. For Nereus it's work in progress, for WMC skin it's for example complete.
    For the TV and Radio configuration everything is descibed aswell, including creation of groups: Radio Channels

If I click on its TV Guide icon, then the TV EPG opens.
    If I select its vertical word (button?): [All Channels] then it goes green.
    If I then press the remotes [OK] button, then a popup list appears that offers these 2 option, twice, eg:
    Yes, thats the channel group selection dialog, as I showed with screenshot above.

[All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    [All Channels]
    [Digital Terrestrial]
    Whichever I select, the window just displays the TV EPG , and no Radio Listings.
    So what is supposed to happen when I select either of those two options?
    It shows the groups you have defined while the channel scan within "MediaPortal TV Configuration".
    I can not tell you where your radio channels are. You need to check it in your configuration and see in which group your radio channels are.
    I just added manually a radio channel "test" and added it to a group "test group".
    1616087919188.png

Immediately I can select the group in MP2-Client and the radio channel appears in EPG.
    EPG.jpg

So, if you create a group "Radio" and add the radio channels, you should be able to see only radio channels in EPG.
    If you don't create a group manually they should just appear in "all channels" group, otherwise you have no radio channels.

Are they supposed to enable me to switch from TV to Radio EPG ?
    Or should I be selecting the Radio EPG in some other way?
    As mentioned before, TV and radio are handled together in one EPG and there is an open task to separate them, but I can not tell if and when it will be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom