After a while Live TV or Recorded TV doesn't play first time (1 Viewer)

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Guys,

Most times I have had an issue with MP1 it has been a platform/OS/finger-trouble issue that a re-install etc fixes. However, this one has me a bit baffled as to the cause and so thought I'd throw it open before I do a re-install.

This happens to local or remote clients. Setup is a single-seat installation (Server and client) with a remote client as well. Have 4 tuners all on DVB-T

If I have not been watching anything for a while (not sure of the timing - maybe 1/2 hour or more) when I select a program in the TV Guide the GUI flicks as if about to show but then goes back to TV Guide. If I do it again then it is fine. If I do the same in Recorded TV the same sort of thing; first time doesn't work, second time does.

I've attached The Client logs that show activity at the time I last tried this (14:53:50 ish) and Server logs (That show no activity - last timestamp being the last time i used the system! That HAS to be a clue.. :)). I took the logs after it 'failed' but before I tried successfully - i didn't want to pollute the logs.

I've had a look through them and nothing leaps out as obvious. I'm wondering if there is some timeout happening - IE. After a while the OS is swapping something out of memory after a while, then when i try the first time it falls over while getting swapped back in, hence always the second time works ok. Not sure it would be OS tho, as - although MS kinda sucks at a few things - the underlying Windows OS task engine is usually sound.

Really has me baffled this one :)

Attachments

• Logs.zip
      11.3 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    From my reading of your logs it looks like you are using MP 1.21. If that is true then please take a look here as your problem sounds similar to the #3 one. Also look here for the fix.
    Hope that helps

Last edited:

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Joe.

I installed 1.22. But have just had the same issue.

This time I've attached full Server/Client logs from Install to when the issue occured. (13:47ish). However, I've just realised that I have set the verbosity to Information (doh!); I'll set it back to Debug and do the same again in a few hours....

Attachments

• Logs.zip
      185.7 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is not clear to me whether the problem was fixed in MP 1.22!!! Have you tried clearing the setting as shown in the attached screenshot. From memory the default in 1.22 is still enabled.

set.jpg

Mat Walker

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2014
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yep, that's it. It WAS ticked in 1.22.

However it _may_ have been me that 'ticked' it. I'd done a full mega everything uninstall of 1.21 as I wanted to try MP2 (different story, but I think there is still a lot of work to do there I cant even get past installation :)) and took copies of gentle/keymap. After 1.22 install i did an overwrite of keymap (we use one of those cheap 'orrible ebay remotes- does the job but took me a while to get the keymap right lol) and use diff to check/copy gentle settings; so I may have set it 'yes' (if in doubt copy the setting) myself....

Anyway thanks Joe - fixed, and the cause found. Reckon they take it out as was suggested (by you or the Dev) or make it default 'No' and exposed only under 'Expert' settings mode.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd done a full mega everything uninstall of 1.21 as I wanted to try MP2
    No need to uninstall MP1. See MP2 and MP1 in Parallel

but I think there is still a lot of work to do there I cant even get past installation
    Well, 98% of the issues are located in front of the computer screen ;). MP2 is designed to make things easier, however, MP1 appear to expect MP2 to be like MP1. If you would like to get help,open a thread in the MP2 section.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anyway thanks Joe - fixed, and the cause found. Reckon they take it out as was suggested (by you or the Dev) or make it default 'No' and exposed only under 'Expert' settings mode.

Good to hear that fixed it.:) I'm really not sure what the option does or why it seems, perhaps, to only give problems on some PCs but I do know that following the problems I had with it in 1.21 I had definitely cleared it but it was set again when I checked after the 1.22 upgrade. I will raise it again, as suggested, for 1.23.

Hairysoundman

Portal Member
    April 25, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    This was driving me nuts! I updated to 1.22 then this started happening. Guess the update enabled that setting. Top fix! Thank You!

hongkongpom

Portal Member
    August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Hong Kong Hong Kong
    Unticking this box also fixed my problem.
    I found that if I turned off my HTPC, when I turned it back on and wanted to resume the video from where I left off, it would start playing and then jump back to the guide. However now it had forgotten where I left off and I had to fast forward; sometime for more than hour!
    I only have a mouse so I guess that there's no way to jump forward in say 5 minute increments.
    Also I don't know why the audio renderer is stopping that was previously triggering the playback to stop.
    I have attached my log

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_18_09_19__08_16.zip
      290.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom