AirPlayer - AirPlay target for MediaPortal (2 Viewers)

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    WARNING: This plugin does NOT support iOS 9
    The airplay protocol was fundamentally changed for iOS 9 breaking all existing open source implementations.

Allows you to stream videos, photos and music from your iDevice / iTunes directly to MediaPortal.

If you are using iOS 8 you need to select 'Enable iOS 8 workaround' from the plugin config.
    A side effect of this workaround is that MediaPortal will claim to support mirroring but it DOES NOT.

Audio features:
    Supports displaying of artwork / track information / progress. Optionally allows the connected client to control the volume and respond to playback commands from MediaPortal (Play/Pause/Stop/Prev/Next).

Video features:
    Playback non DRM protected videos from your device library/Safari/YouTube and other AirPlay supporting apps.
    You will need LAV Filters installed as they have support for playing HTTP Live streams (they are installed by default when you install MediaPortal). It's also recommended (though not required) that you have Online Videos installed as their Source Filter will give better playback support.

Tested with MediaPortal versions 1.4 - 1.7.

Usage

Ensure you have bonjour service installed and running, you can get it from here.

Also ensure that your firewall is configured to allow incoming connections on the configured ports and that they are not in use by any other application.

The plugin should just work with no configuration however you can configure it as required, available options:
    Name : The broadcasted name of the server
    Password : The password needed to connect (leave blank for no password)
    Use a dummy identifier - Enable to allow you to run multiple AirPlay servers on the same machine (but ensure they are using different ports)
    Enable iOS 8 workaround - Enable to support devices running iOS8, disabled by default (for now)

RTSP Port
    : The TCP port used to receive audio control packets
    UDP Port : The UDP port used to receive audio data (actually uses 3 ports, this port and the next 2)
    Initial Buffer - The number of seconds of audio to buffer before starting playback
    Allow client to control volume : Whether to respond to volume changes from the client
    Send playback commands to client : Whether to send playback commands from MediaPortal to the client

HTTP Port - The TCP port used to receive photo and video requests
    Video Buffer - The percentage of video to buffer before starting playback
    Select HD streams if available - When there are multiple stream qualities available allow the plugin to select HD quality. The best non HD stream is selected if this is disabled.

When running, MediaPortal will be available to select as an AirPlay target on your iDevice / iTunes. On iOS 7 you can select AirPlay targets from the control centre by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

NOTE - There are known detection issues with iOS 7/8 where the device will initially report that the target is audio only. I have a workaround in place but it can take up to 10 seconds after waking the device/connecting to the network for it to be reported correctly.

Mirroring is not possible as it is encrypted so please don't ask unless you have reverse engineered FairPlay!

Source available here

Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Changelog

Add workaround for iOS 8
    Improve stream quality selection (fixes iPlayer low quality)
    Minor fixes and improvements

Add reverse proxy for secure http live streams
    Fix waking/entering screensaver when viewing photos
    Load images directly from memory instead of saving to file first
    Fix now playing screen shown instead of fullscreen video in certain circumstances
    Fix empty menu entry in homescreen
    Fix configured audio device not being used

Fix YouTube ads looping
    Fix entering screensaver/standby when video is playing
    Correctly report playback finished
    Add support for replaying video

Fix cover art not updating

Add video and photo support.
    Restore volume when audio/video playback has finished.
    Fix client disconnected when playback finished.
    Fix iTunes failing to stream audio.
    Change pre-configured ports to non default values.
    Add option to use dummy identifier to allow multiple servers on same machine.
    Other minor fixes.

Fix exception when parsing doubles
    Improve error resilience when handling connections

Last edited:

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Very cool idea :) Only downside: I'm using android xD But I really like the idea!

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Volume control only works if you're using Bass engine in MediaPortal, right? I'll check it out! Also, which MePo version is supported?

Emph

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    No it should work regardless, it just sets MP's application volume. The plugin doesn't use Bass at all, it uses a custom directshow player as I couldn't figure out how to pass the audio stream on to Bass.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm using WASAPI Exclusive mode, so I guess the volume won't change. I'll try it and let you know. :D

Edit: Tested now using iTunes on my laptop and while it shows up in the Airplay device list, trying to connect to it fails after about 10-15 seconds as it "can't be find on the network". Is this because of the playback device, you think (WASAPI) or network related?

Emph

Last edited:

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Are the required ports open on your firewall? By default they are 5000 and 6000-6002. I would expect it to connect and for MP to display an error if it was audio device related, can you post your Airplay.log (after setting log verbosity to debug). Thx

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are the required ports open on your firewall? By default they are 5000 and 6000-6002. I would expect it to connect and for MP to display an error if it was audio device related, can you post your Airplay.log (after setting log verbosity to debug). Thx

I'm going to bed now, but I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks!
    Emph

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Manually opened the ports in Windows firewall: 5000, 6000-6002. Same behavior as last night.

Log:
    Code:
    [02-24 12:31:52,848] [MPMain      ] [INFO ] Server starting: MAC address 00188B7E5CA5, port 5000
    [02-24 12:31:52,851] [MPMain      ] [DEBUG] Starting bonjour service
    [02-24 12:31:53,012] [MPMain      ] [DEBUG] Starting TCP Listener
    [02-24 12:32:25,510] [8           ] [DEBUG] RemoteHandler: Found service - iTunes_Ctrl_5CC156E4B0C78A09
    [02-24 12:32:25,923] [3           ] [DEBUG] RemoteHandler: Resolved service - iTunes_Ctrl_5CC156E4B0C78A09, LenovoLaptop.local.:3689
    [02-24 12:33:59,190] [MPMain      ] [INFO ] Server stopping
    [02-24 12:33:59,190] [MPMain      ] [INFO ] Server stopped
    [02-24 12:33:59,210] [8           ] [DEBUG] TCP Listener: Aborting new connection, server stopped

Emph

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Hmm, the logs show that iTunes can't get through - there's no attempted connection. A quick google shows that some people have similar problems with legit speakers. Can you try from another computer/device or restarting your router?

Anybody else having similar problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom