faleloncio

Portal Pro
August 31, 2006
Badajoz
Home Country
Spain Spain
KMplayer instead WMP 11

Hi everybody

I just discovered KMPlayer 3 days ago. Really I was a fan of "VideoLan" and "Media Player Classic+ ffdshow" (and obviusly, using ffdshow codecs in Mediaportal to play video). But "level20peon" is right when saying "there is no need to install dozens of codecs. I wonder where you read this. You just need one, FFDshow for example and maybe DScaler or MPV/MPA.". However, threre is a lot of formats that need more than simply install "ffdshow". I use enough different multimedia containers:
  • MP4 (Nero Digital or AVC1)
  • RMVB
  • MKV
  • MOV
  • OGM
and there is no possibility to listen foreign audio tracks (ripped from DVD) if you don't install mediasplitters like "Lazy Man's MKV" and "Haali Media Splitter". :eek: Even to play MP4 in my modest AMD 1800 MHz, I had to install "CoreAVC".

Recently I discovered that "K-Lite Codecs Standard" include all necessary codecs and mediasplitters to play any format.

"Videolan" is fantastic, but not so configurable, extensible and flexible like KMPlayer.

Even more. I have dozens of files in VQF format, an old audio format from Yamaha. Only "Nero Burning" and WinAmp with an input plugin were able to play this files.

Unfortunately, MediaPortal only can use DSP plugins for WinAmp, so in this situation, I configure MediaPortal to play video files thru "WMP 11 + K-Lite Codecs Standard" and audio files thru "WinAmp + APE plugin + VQF plugin + other input plugins".

KMPlayer can use WinAmp input plugins. Now I have in one media player all necesary codecs, mediasplitters and even install plugins to play ANY video container or audio file with a lower CPU usage.

Really I think, IMHO, after KMPlayer arrived, that there is no media player rival in Windows (I just uninstalled WinAmp, K-Lite Codecs, VideoLan and Media Player Classic from my "old" machine).

:oops: Finally, I want to the reallly busy MP developers ... why not integrate KMPlayer with MP instead WMP?.

Best regards :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I use enough different multimedia containers:
    • MP4 (Nero Digital or AVC1)
    • RMVB
    • MKV
    • MOV
    • OGM
    and there is no possibility to listen foreign audio tracks (ripped from DVD) if you don't install mediasplitters like "Lazy Man's MKV" and "Haali Media Splitter". :eek:
    btw: there's a new update of the Haali Splitter available ;)

:oops: Finally, I want to the reallly busy MP developers ... why not integrate KMPlayer with MP instead WMP?.
    MP does almost never use WMP anymore. In fact I only know this constellation: Playing webstreams without VMR9 and without BASS.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    so why not integrate this codecs directly into media portal instead of download and install dozens of conflicting codecs.
    because its is simply not allowed and in some cases illegal.

http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63 said:
    QuickTime Engine + Directshow (needs QuickTime player or Alternative or its decoders)
    apple has prohibited the distribution of quicktime alternative, because they used files from the apple quicktime player.

the player surley sounds nice because it does what mediaportal is doing too for mpeg2, h.264 and audio.
    it selects the configured codecs and ignores the merit settings.

that kmplayer is simply doing that for more codecs/media types as MediaPortal does currently.
    it is not that hard (allready planed) to make more codecs configureable inside mediaportal (2) so the user decides which codec should be used, and not its merit setting.

faleloncio

Portal Pro
    August 31, 2006
    Badajoz
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Is a requirement WMP ... or not?

Hi RTV!!!

That's not the question. Question is that KMPlayer require NOTHING more to install to see any video container.

MP does almost never use WMP anymore. In fact I only know this constellation: Playing webstreams without VMR9 and without BASS.

As I said to Infinityloop, Windows Media Player is a requirement for MediaPortal (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Med...alRequirements). I didn't know if the reason was that Direct Show filters are updated when installing WMP or not, but however I would bet that KMPlayer doesn't require WMP Direct Show filters.

I'm sorry if I was mistaken about that technical question about Direct Show filters.

I would like MP be so flexible as KMP, including use of WinAmp input plugins, but I presume it's very complicated https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=22333&highlight=winamp
    so really I don't expect something new with this. Meanwhile I will use KMP to play any video or audio file.

THANKS to EVERY MEDIA PORTAL DEVELOPER for your great job and your quick replies in this forum.

:)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi RTV!!!

That's not the question. Question is that KMPlayer require NOTHING more to install to see any video container.

As I said to Infinityloop, Windows Media Player is a requirement for MediaPortal (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Med...alRequirements). I didn't know if the reason was that Direct Show filters are updated when installing WMP or not, but however I would bet that KMPlayer doesn't require WMP Direct Show filters.
    seems like you simply do not understand what that KMPlayer realy is ;)

it is ALSO using direct show (except for that flv support). but it does not choose the codec by the merit value of the codec

if your system is missing MS "updates" to the direct show system -> your bad ;)

it has "hardcoded" settings for which codec must be used for a specific video-format (i.e. mpeg2).

MediaPortal DOES EXACTLY THE SAME. But "only" for 3 codecs:
    • mpeg 2
    • h.264
    • audio

MediaPortal 2 currently also allows to configure a specific codec for mepg4/divx.
    more options can be added.

the differences between KMPlayer and MediaPortal i see so far are:
    • it seems to be shipped with more codecs then MediaPortal (not sure if they are realy allowed to ship these codecs, but thats their concern)
    • they "hardcoded" which codec must be used for every video-famat they support (note: they do not support "all")
    • they support flv by a native player which is not based on direct show

so instead of proposing to add that player into mediaportal [which sounds easy but is far away from that (IF EVEN POSSIBLE!) ], you should propose to get more options for more video-formats to configure the codecs for. ;)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think the people who praise KMPlayer just don't understand that a standalone application like KMPlayer needs much less performance than MediaPortal, which has tons of things loaded other than just the "things" needed for Media-Playback. This makes KMPlayer faster than MediaPortal, regardless of what technique for playback is used...

-level20peon

ppp

Portal Member
    November 8, 2007
    ffdshow mp4 KMPlayer

Hi guys,
    just installed plain Win XP s.p. 2, MediaPortal 0.2.3 and FFdshow (rev1625_20071119_clsid first and prebeta4_rev1656_20071029_clsid then) in a new computer. The result? MediaPortal still doesn't want to play my .MP4 video, while KMPlayer plays them like drinking a glass of water:eek: . So am I wrong in anything or are there still too many bugs in MediaPortal?
    And a question to level20peon: if, as you wrote me, MediaPortal is working so well, why a new Mediaportal instead of improving the existing one? Why develop and program a new one instead of removing lots of bugs from the current version? As you said me: "Never change a running system"...:rolleyes:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Even if KMPlayer plays a movie in .MP4-container (Apple movie?) - that does not mean that they do this without any legal issues (I think I-loop made that clear).
    So am I wrong in anything or are there still too many bugs in MediaPortal?
    I believe this is a user error/bug - not a MP error/bug. FFDSHow supports many/most movies. Not all - ie. Apple.
    why a new Mediaportal instead of improving the existing one?
    Why ask when you can read?
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/global/announcement_mediaportal_2.html

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For me, I've had problem playing some of my h264 .mov-files. I read in another forum that changing the extension to .hdmov could fix playback problems and what do you know, it did! It did trigger HaaliMediaSplitter which used Quicktime Alternative to play it back. My system did playback other h264 .mov-files before, but now it plays back all of them. Just thought I'd share this in case it helps someone else.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom