Allow PC to sleep when TV turned off (1 Viewer)

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
July 17, 2010
Hi,

Is it possible to allow a client HTPC to go to sleep when the TV connected to it is turned off?

Scenario - TV and client are in the bedroom, live TV streamed from the MePo server is being watched via the MePo client, the TV is then turned off in order to go to sleep at night, wife moans like crazy that the apparently quiet fan in the HTPC is keeping her awake as the PC wont sleep.

I don't know if this is possible through windows power settings or via powerscheduler++

Thanks in advance!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is it possible to allow a client HTPC to go to sleep when the TV connected to it is turned off?
    Presumably you have a remote control to control your MP client. Can't you define the power button on the remote to put the client to sleep? If you want only a single remote control, a "One-for-All" universal remote could control both the MP client and your TV.

Somehow I feel that I have not understood your problem; does the MP Server prevent the MP client from going to sleep?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2010
    Hi CyberSimian,

We will be watching live TV in bed streamed to a MePo client via the MePo server downstairs, if we turn off the physical TV (not the TV feed) the client PC will continue to run instead of going to sleep. The only way I've been able to get it to sleep is to go back to the main MePo GUI before turning of the TV, for me this isn't a problem but I'd like it to be as simple as possible for my wife.

Hope that makes more sense.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We will be watching live TV in bed streamed to a MePo client via the MePo server downstairs, if we turn off the physical TV (not the TV feed) the client PC will continue to run instead of going to sleep. The only way I've been able to get it to sleep is to go back to the main MePo GUI before turning of the TV, for me this isn't a problem but I'd like it to be as simple as possible for my wife.
    That makes the scenario clear, but a solution is not so obvious! :(

If you use a universal remote control, you might be able to define the power button on the remote to be a macro that sends the following sequence:

(1) The "Stop" command for MP (stops video playback on the client).
    (2) The "Sleep" command for Windows (causes Windows to sleep or wake immediately).
    (3) The "Power Toggle" command for the TV (switches TV on or off).

This sequence ought to work both to switch the system off, and to switch it back on again. :) But there might be factors that mean it won't work correctly. :( You ought to be able to test this by using the separate TV and HTPC remote controls to send the above sequence of button presses, to see what happens!

I cannot think of a solution that uses only MP facilities (i.e. does not require a universal remote control that is capable of macros). Perhaps someone else can?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2010
    Thanks for the help, I do t have a programable remote but maybe that an option. In the meantime I will see what else I can come up with

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2010
    Did you find a solution? This is the scenario I'm trying to fix myself (minus the moaning wife!). I do have a programmable remote...

I found if I return to the MePo home the PC would shutdown after an idle time, I'm not in front of my MePo client but I'm sure there was a setting for this. It works for me now so long as I remember to go back to the home screen before turning of the TV

SwissBuster

Portal Pro
    June 27, 2008
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I found if I return to the MePo home the PC would shutdown after an idle time, I'm not in front of my MePo client but I'm sure there was a setting for this. It works for me now so long as I remember to go back to the home screen before turning of the TV

FYI, I found a solution at this thread which avoids having to go manually through the home screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom