AMD video card, how do you get hardware acceleration (DXVA)?

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
In the past I used ffdshow DXVA and could get hardware acceleration when playing MPEG4 avi files, but recently I installed MediaPortal 1.2.2.0 and it seems to have lost this ability, even though I selected "ffdshow DXVA video decoder" in Codecs and Renderer in MediaPortal. I did select EVR under Video Renderer settings and in ffdshow DXVA options I checked "DXVA codecs enabled: H264 / VC1", just like before.

I see "LAV Video Decoder" in my list of codecs, which someone else said may break DXVA, but I'm not sure if that's true:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/please-stop-including-lavfilters-in-plugin-it-breaks-my-dxva-acceleration.106449/
[Update: I removed LAV Video Decoder which was a part of the CCCP package, which I used to enable ffdshow in Windows 7. That didn't help enabling DXVA]

Anyone has a clue?

...well, I'm not sure if I am getting acceleration or not. It seems like I'm not because I don't see the ffdshow DXVA logo in the start menu when I play videos in MediaPortal, and my CPU usage stays at 99-100%. My videos don't seem to be stutter at the moment, but that might just mean the CPU is powerful enough to play the scene at the moment.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Xvid\Divx files are usually so low quality that unless you have a incredibly weak cpu, they should never go above 10% cpu processing, in fact just tested a good bitrate file and that ran at 6% on my X4200+ using LAV

anony

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2009
    They are h264 files, such as HD mkv files, not xvid/divx files though. I wrote down a note that enabling DXVA lowered the CPU usage last time. My CPU is a Core2 E6600.

... but now ffdshow DXVA is working in MediaPortal again. It could be one of the settings that triggered it, but I can't duplicate it. At least it works for now.

Owlsroost

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Country flag
    The recent versions of LAV video decoder support DXVA, so that's another alternative to FFDShow DXVA.

If you press shift+1 (!) on the keyboard when video is playing it will display the render stats screen - it can't tell you if DXVA is in use, but it does list the codecs in use so you can check if they are what you expect....

Tony

Top Bottom