AMD video card, how do you get hardware acceleration (DXVA)? (1 Viewer)

anony

Portal Pro
January 3, 2009
In the past I used ffdshow DXVA and could get hardware acceleration when playing MPEG4 avi files, but recently I installed MediaPortal 1.2.2.0 and it seems to have lost this ability, even though I selected "ffdshow DXVA video decoder" in Codecs and Renderer in MediaPortal. I did select EVR under Video Renderer settings and in ffdshow DXVA options I checked "DXVA codecs enabled: H264 / VC1", just like before.

I see "LAV Video Decoder" in my list of codecs, which someone else said may break DXVA, but I'm not sure if that's true:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...plugin-it-breaks-my-dxva-acceleration.106449/
[Update: I removed LAV Video Decoder which was a part of the CCCP package, which I used to enable ffdshow in Windows 7. That didn't help enabling DXVA]

Anyone has a clue?

...well, I'm not sure if I am getting acceleration or not. It seems like I'm not because I don't see the ffdshow DXVA logo in the start menu when I play videos in MediaPortal, and my CPU usage stays at 99-100%. My videos don't seem to be stutter at the moment, but that might just mean the CPU is powerful enough to play the scene at the moment.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Xvid\Divx files are usually so low quality that unless you have a incredibly weak cpu, they should never go above 10% cpu processing, in fact just tested a good bitrate file and that ran at 6% on my X4200+ using LAV

anony

Portal Pro
    January 3, 2009
    They are h264 files, such as HD mkv files, not xvid/divx files though. I wrote down a note that enabling DXVA lowered the CPU usage last time. My CPU is a Core2 E6600.

... but now ffdshow DXVA is working in MediaPortal again. It could be one of the settings that triggered it, but I can't duplicate it. At least it works for now.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The recent versions of LAV video decoder support DXVA, so that's another alternative to FFDShow DXVA.

If you press shift+1 (!) on the keyboard when video is playing it will display the render stats screen - it can't tell you if DXVA is in use, but it does list the codecs in use so you can check if they are what you expect....

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom