[Android] MP App Concept (1 Viewer)

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    So, as I said earlier I did a bit coding (actually more layouting ;)) today and here's the results. These are actual in-app captures, no mockups...

device.png device2.png device3.png device4.png device5.png

I don't really know how to layout the "nowplaying" screen, so any comments/mockups would be highly appreciated...

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would skip the "Album Aritst Title" labelling text, I don't think it's really needed, and removing it makes room for other elements / longer song/artist names etc...

jonolo

Portal Member
    November 17, 2007
    So, as I said earlier I did a bit coding (actually more layouting ;)) today and here's the results. These are actual in-app captures, no mockups...

View attachment 72511 View attachment 72512 View attachment 72513 View attachment 72514 View attachment 72515

I don't really know how to layout the "nowplaying" screen, so any comments/mockups would be highly appreciated...

DieBagger, I have just started developing for Android (but have 10+ years of Java experience) and would love to help you out on this project...

Is the code available to download from anywhere? Just to have a play around with your concept UI and to get started...

Let me know if you want any help and what I can do...

Cheers

Jonas

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    DieBagger, I have just started developing for Android (but have 10+ years of Java experience) and would love to help you out on this project...

Is the code available to download from anywhere? Just to have a play around with your concept UI and to get started...

Let me know if you want any help and what I can do...

Cheers

Jonas

Hi Jonas,

I sent you a pm, looking forward to hearing from you...

I finally managed to get the new GMAWebservice working the way I need to for android (thx a lot @ Mike Lowrey) so great new there... Next I'll have a look at the Tv4Home webservice for tv. :)

Also I wanted to post this brainstorm of how I would imagine the different screen of the android app, feel free to share your ideas/comment:

View attachment Concept.pdf

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi guys,

here are some more screens from the app (can you guess the name? ;)). I worked a lot on the api access and a bit on actual ui, but keep in mind that all ui is just testing/proof of concept.

ampdroid_name.png ampdroid9.png ampdroid.png

The Backend
    The app will get it's data from
    - Tv4Home wcf webservice (for tv)
    - Gma webservice (for media access -> Videos/Pictures/Musice/Series/Movies)
    - ? for client control (Currently I'm using a modified version of WifiRemote (also tried the ipimp plugin), although I'm not sure how to continue here)

The "vision" is that you have an installer that installs these 3 services along with an app that runs on startup and can a) start/stop/configure services and b) start mediaportal from the remote if not running.

Frontend
    You can see from the screens how I want the app to look in principle, although I'm not really happy with the gfx (any graphics designer wanting to help?). I would like to use the new design patterns that got introduced for android in the Google I/O 2010 (see YouTube - Google I/O 2010 - Android UI design patterns), specially the dashboard and quickaction bar:

ampdroid7.png

I originally planned the following keys for the bottombar (quick-remote): playlist/back/pause/next/home. I already replaced playlist with volume (control the client volume) and will replace the home with remote (will bring you to the remote screen). I'm not sure which buttons should be used for the 3 middle buttons (I think pause is very important, prev/next not so much though. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Client Remote
    ampdroid2.png ampdroid3.png

For testing the remote capabilities I just used a very simple remote with arrows/ok/back/info. Also the gfx have to get replaced (again, any designer raising the hand? ;)) but in general I would like to have such a remote (keep it simple) with a few more buttons as well as a more sophisticated remote for those who like lots of buttons. Kind of apple remote vs. mce remote... ;)

Media Access

ampdroid5.png ampdroid8.png ampdroid6.png

Again these screen are just for testing out the underlying api/listcontroller functions, not really how I imagine the ui to look in the end. I'm not sure about the tabs, they take away a lot of the screen and tbh they just look fugly on android (not to mention they crash the ui designer ^^). I was thinking about something like YouTube - Google I/O 2010 - Android UI design patterns. Besides that multiple views would be a goal for the future (posterview, coverflow, list, banner-view, etc.).

TV Server
    As mentioned I'm using the Tv4Home for accessing the tv server (thx @ mike lowrey and the rest of the tv4home team). While the api part (communicating with the webservice) has been mostly done, the ui part only consists of a listview to test the functionality of the api.

ampdroid10.png ampdroid11.png

This is actually the part that is most interesting for me, so I will most likely start with this. Before that I would like to get some input though (what would be most important, epg, manual control, scheduling, etc.). I know the holy grail is live-streaming but android can't stream the tv server rtsp stream (I tried :)) so I have to wait until transcoding becomes available.

Attachments

• ampdroid4.png
      ampdroid4.png
      88.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom