[Android] MP App Concept (1 Viewer)

el_gato

Portal Pro
October 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: [Android] MP App Concept

wow! your app looks amazing already.
I already replaced playlist with volume (control the client volume)
will there be an option to use the phones hardware volume buttons to control the clients volume?

i agree with you to keep the remote simple and not to overload it with buttons but the problem will be to fit everybodys needs i suppose... so what about programmable buttons like red, green, yellow and blue although i dislike these ones cause they always destroy the clean look of everything^^ anyway, i use only a few of my mce remote like back, info, up/down etc, volume/(mute), (epg- & recordingsbutton) and the red button which maximizes the minimized actual playing media again...

for the tv part i would recommend epg, being able to schedule recordings of shows i've seen while surfing the epg and of course control the recorded shows like start playing them, deleting them... well, those things you already mentioned by yourself.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Appreciate your work, look forward to a release in the future. I have some few comments/suggestions for your consideration.

Media Tabs

Shares | Videos | Series | Movies

I assume that Videos = My Videos database view | Shares = My Videos Shares view | Series = My TV Series | Movies = Moving Pictures

If a user has both tv series and moving pictures installed, then they are unlikely to be using the my videos database view as well, as this is just overlap. Personally I would find the following more useful

Rec TV | Shares | Series | Movies

with Rec TV = My TV Recordings

Volume Slider

With regard to the volume button with slider I really like this implementation. For me this wouldn't be useful, as myself some other users use digital pass through audio eg. SPDIF/HDMI for audio, so the volume control on the HTPC has no effect, so please consider option for those users who control the volume on the audio receiver. My current method for controling the volume is when I press the Vol +/- key on my MCE IR remote an application called "lmremote" detects this and sends an IR blast code to the audio receiver to change the volume. With this method I can only control +/- I can't select an absolute volume level. So for users who don't control the volume on the HTPC can you have an alternative option.

Maybe the volume button can be replaced with another useful button

(or)

When you press the volume toggle button it gives you three buttons at the button Vol + | Mute | Vol - . Option in the MP remote plugin to either
    1. send MCE code or
    2. run an external batch file with each button press.

frankenmatze

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2008
    Mittelfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey, please keep me/us up to date, when we can first test this app - this will be the day I buy an Android mobile phone :)

btw: I would personally prefer browsing in my music database on simple text-view basis as known from IPod & Co, as I do not have any pictures for my media.

For inspiration:
    http://www.golem.de/1101/80557.html

arsenal333

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Hello - just another idea(s) to throw into the mix.

Having the android app extend to using IRSS and subsequent configurations installed on the clients for complete unit automation. So when I say 'unit' I mean TV and Receiver as well as the HTPC.

So when I change volume, the receivers volume changes, or if I want to change from HDMI1 to HDMI2 for my xbox360 setup, via IRSS macro's.

Having the client extend to the tablets, so I could place one on the wall, and have the ability to work with any MP client setup in the house.

Having an android home screen, that would show what MP client are active and what is currently playing. With quick buttons to shut down all clients when I walk past at night, and start all or individual clients when I wake up in the morning.

Anyway just some ideas for your consideration - your project is a good one, keep it up....

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: [Android] MP App Concept

Hi guys,

I realize I haven't given any updates in a while, though this doesn't mean there hasn't been any work on this project, quite the opposite actually.

I'll try to comment on the questions first and then give a short progress report...

will there be an option to use the phones hardware volume buttons to control the clients volume?
    Great idea with the hardware volume buttons, I created a feature request on the issue tracker. -> Issue 7 - a-mp-droid - Use hardware volume keys to control volume on client - Project Hosting on Google Code

for the tv part i would recommend epg, being able to schedule recordings of shows i've seen while surfing the epg and of course control the recorded shows like start playing them, deleting them... well, those things you already mentioned by yourself.
    That's the plan ;)

I assume that Videos = My Videos database view | Shares = My Videos Shares view | Series = My TV Series | Movies = Moving Pictures

If a user has both tv series and moving pictures installed, then they are unlikely to be using the my videos database view as well, as this is just overlap. Personally I would find the following more useful

Rec TV | Shares | Series | Movies

with Rec TV = My TV Recordings

A user might use the videos database for something else (e.g. music videos/home videos), I can't really assume that this isn't used in general. The plan is o.c. to let the user decide which tabs should be shown here. Regarding the recordings: I'll think about it although the original plan was to show them in the tvserver section.

With regard to the volume button with slider I really like this implementation. For me this wouldn't be useful, as myself some other users use digital pass through audio eg. SPDIF/HDMI for audio, so the volume control on the HTPC has no effect, so please consider option for those users who control the volume on the audio receiver. My current method for controling the volume is when I press the Vol +/- key on my MCE IR remote an application called "lmremote" detects this and sends an IR blast code to the audio receiver to change the volume. With this method I can only control +/- I can't select an absolute volume level. So for users who don't control the volume on the HTPC can you have an alternative option.

Maybe the volume button can be replaced with another useful button

(or)

When you press the volume toggle button it gives you three buttons at the button Vol + | Mute | Vol - . Option in the MP remote plugin to either
    1. send MCE code or
    2. run an external batch file with each button press.

Sure I could offer a second layout with +/-/mute and on the client plugin side an option to send custom commands/run batch files. Can you create an issue on the tracker? -> http://code.google.com/p/a-mp-droid/issues/list

btw: I would personally prefer browsing in my music database on simple text-view basis as known from IPod & Co, as I do not have any pictures for my media.
    Their will be different views for each section and a textview is o.c. planned for the purists amongs us... ;)

Having the android app extend to using IRSS and subsequent configurations installed on the clients for complete unit automation. So when I say 'unit' I mean TV and Receiver as well as the HTPC.

So when I change volume, the receivers volume changes, or if I want to change from HDMI1 to HDMI2 for my xbox360 setup, via IRSS macro's.
    I'm not familiar with IRSS since I never used it but seeing as many users rely on it there is a good chance that this will be added at some point.

Having the client extend to the tablets, so I could place one on the wall, and have the ability to work with any MP client setup in the house.
    You can define as many clients as you want already... ;)

Hey, when can we start testing your app? :)
    When it's done... ;) It's kinda hard to tell, especially since the backend projects (tv4home, gma) are also in a very early stage but maybe I can create a very early preview version by the time MediaPortal 1.2 beta is released.

I hope all questions are answered halfway decently, since the post is pretty long already I will do another post (or most likely create a new thread) with a status report.

:D

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm really hoping to test this baby mate..., keep up the hard work :)
    You know this thread is almost a year old and the app has been launched more then half a year ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom