Another can't start Media Portal Post (1 Viewer)

spoco2

Portal Member
March 6, 2006
Hey, may I say that is a damn fine tool... nice presentation and takes the drudgery out of collecting such information.

So, I am testing this program while working on my work laptop to see if I want to replace 'myhtpc' on my home media box and my guess is that it's the graphics card that might be the issue... A Geforce4 420 Go... but the one in my media center at home is a Geforece4 440MX, not much better... am I going to run into the same problem there?

And thanks for the friendly and quick reply guys!

This run on laptop:
===============
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2005-12-16)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
CPU Type: Mobile Intel Pentium 4 - M - 2.00GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: Portable PC (TOSHIBA)
TV Card Model: -
TV Card Type: -
TV Card Driver: -
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce4 420 GO (toshiba) (16 MB)
Video Card Driver: -
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: Overlay
Audio Card Model: YAMAHA AC-XG Audio Device
Audio Card Driver: -
Synopsis::

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The GF4MX doesnt meet requirements but Im not sure about the GF4 Go, as I cant seem to fnd enough information on them (nvidia page says stuff all).

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    The GeForce4MX doesn't meet requirements?? Man... this is a bit steep for something that just plays video... I've been using it with a myhtpc setup for years and can play all video no problem whatsoever.

I just wanted to move over to a system that is being actively developed, as myhtpc went commercial and became Meedio.

Oh well, no MediaPortal for me :(

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    No, wait, maybe still Media Portal... Any Geforce card should be fine as it says in the manual:

Cards which have been found to work
    NVIDIA GeForce 1/2/3/4 and nForce IGP series

So any of the GeForce series should be fine, including this laptop.

I have no requirement for PVR or recording capability, I merely use it as a means of viewing video obtained otherwise... DVDs I have that I rip down to XviDs etc.[/quote]

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Problem with GF4MX is that it's pretty much a GeForce 3 and is not DX9 HW Compatible. So lot of rendering is done by the CPU. But it shoud works. (badly but works)

spoco2

Portal Member
    March 6, 2006
    Yeah, I know it's an average card, I just didn't expect a media center to need pixel shaders and the like.

Anyway, I've given up on release candidate for Version 0.2 and have gone to 0.1.3 and it's working great! Last night I set it up on the home machine and it works a treat, looks great, and gave me useful messages on startup of the things I was missing that I needed to install... very nice.

So all round very happy with 0.1.3

I wonder what the difference between the two is that causes 0.1.3 to work where 0.2 doesn't?

I'll now have to head to another forum to find out how to turn off a bunch of the menu items I don't need... but this thing seems to be working nicely... AND it works with my clunky old RealMagic remote control!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MP RC2 is a Directx 9 program, that's why to get the full benefits you do need the minimum hardware specifications.
    1.3 is a lot more forgiving and would recommend it to anyone who cannot get RC2 and a software card working together, but do not expect the latest features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom