Anyone have Media Portal working with two DVB-S cards? (1 Viewer)

solomalee

January 2, 2006
Planet Earth
Hi all,

I've spent the last few hours reading the WIKI and searching the forum and found no definitive answer to this question so I hope someone out there knows.

There are a number of posts where the subject is touched upon, but no where have I found anything where I can be sure that I can go out an buy two cards that will definitely work in the same machine.

What I want to do is the following (In all cases for DVB-S Satellite signals):

a) Record TWO channels at the same time

or

b) Watch ONE channel and record a SECOND channel

c) Record ONE channel and timeshift (Live Pause) a SECOND channel

A year ago, I started to look at this and invested in a Hauppage Nexus-S card (I know that won't work with MP). Back then, I found out that dual cards was a problem. This still seems to be the case. Is there anyone out there with a Dual Tuner Satellite configuration that works?

I don't mind about investing in two different types of DVB-S cards as long as I can be sure they will work together.

Here's hoping...

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi solomalee,

I have MediaPortal working perfectly with 2 DVB-T cards, exactly as you describe, ..... :) .

So, I would guess that you should get the same results os me, with 2 DVB-S cards instead.

I am using the RC2 version of MP with the latest CVS, with 2 different DVB-T cards and I have applied the fix mentioned here. This fix (a Microsoft fix.....) was the key to getting the 2 DVB cards to play together happily..... :D

solomalee

January 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Taipan said:
    I have MediaPortal working perfectly with 2 DVB-T cards...I would guess that you should get the same results os me, with 2 DVB-S cards instead.

Taipan, thanks for the hint, but 'guess' is just not concrete enough for me. Particularly as Running DVB-S seems to be a case of frigging the DVB-T driver to work in the first place (...just going off what I've read about why MCE Only supports DVB-T).

Mzemina that thread isn't giving me confidence that an investment in two DVB-S cards is a safe one, particularly as the PVR 250 and PVR 350 I thought were analog cards. I've seen plenty of evidence from the MythTV world that the PVR250/350 cards can be used together anyway.

I'm only really happy to go ahead with such patches once I hear from someone who has them working in exactly the situation I'm describing.

Sorry to be picky, but I'd like to hear from someone who is successfully running two DVB-S cards with the all important WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) state of reliability.

I guess for further clarity...exactly which two DVB-S PCI cards could be expected to work together without problems?

Thanks

SoloMalee

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

MP1 MP2 [solved] How to manually add a channel DE
    Well, that was easy, thanks a lot :) (unfortunately, this did not solve the initial problem, for some reason MediaPortal cannot tune into a few channels which work using a different live-TV program, but I'll try to elaborate a bit further and then post in a different thread)
    Well, that was easy, thanks a lot :) (unfortunately, this did not solve the initial problem, for some reason MediaPortal cannot...
    Hi, since the channel scan cannot find a few channels (which can be found and tuned in using the software "WinTV", so the TV card...
    Replies
    Views
    You know that friend of mine, Fox Mulder, he really had something there. I have learned today that 'Trust no one' should not include just people but also control panels. They lie too. Really. A bug in my IPTV provider's web system didn't allow more than one stream even if the control panel said otherwise. Unfortunately, it can't be...
    You know that friend of mine, Fox Mulder, he really had something there. I have learned today that 'Trust no one' should not...
    I currently have a setup with no physical TV cards present, just two virtual IPTV cards. Both cards are working. However, the...
    Replies
    Views
    I don't think that it is clear that you need to upgrade :eek:. I used WMC for six years, and have been using MP1 for another six years. I migrated from WMC to MP because it offered more of what I wanted, and less of what I didn't want. But if you are comfortable with WMC, the obvious choice is to stay with WMC on Windows 7. The...
    I don't think that it is clear that you need to upgrade :eek:. I used WMC for six years, and have been using MP1 for another six...
    I have been 15 years with WMC in Windows 7 but clearly need to upgrade. I believe that MP might meet my needs. Before I invest a...
    Replies
    Views
    Today I did send a reminder to DD, since 09-2020 no news from them about new drivers. 3.0.2.211 x64 seems to work for me to, but DD told me, those where beta drivers, and some cards did have problems with them. Here you can find stable older drivers, Digital Devices Store But 3.0.3.224 did not work for me, so the latest stable...
    Today I did send a reminder to DD, since 09-2020 no news from them about new drivers. 3.0.2.211 x64 seems to work for me to, but...
    I recently upgraded my somewhat ancient 1.16 installation to the latest version, 1.25, and have a couple of problems, but the most...
    Replies
    Views
    In lieu of a likely modification to TV Setup module, I have devised my own workaround, using SQL. Here is a quick resume. Should be safe but make sure you have a backup before you try this! Simple scenario to demonstrate. 2 cards both on A/B diseqc switches. In each case A connects to LNB pointed at Satelite 1, and B to Sat 2...
    In lieu of a likely modification to TV Setup module, I have devised my own workaround, using SQL. Here is a quick resume. Should be...
    Started on: 2020-08-25 last update: 2020-08-25 Summary: Add the ability to sort or restrict channels by group in mapping dialog...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom