Anyone have Media Portal working with two DVB-S cards? (1 Viewer)

solomalee

January 2, 2006
Planet Earth
Hi all,

I've spent the last few hours reading the WIKI and searching the forum and found no definitive answer to this question so I hope someone out there knows.

There are a number of posts where the subject is touched upon, but no where have I found anything where I can be sure that I can go out an buy two cards that will definitely work in the same machine.

What I want to do is the following (In all cases for DVB-S Satellite signals):

a) Record TWO channels at the same time

or

b) Watch ONE channel and record a SECOND channel

c) Record ONE channel and timeshift (Live Pause) a SECOND channel

A year ago, I started to look at this and invested in a Hauppage Nexus-S card (I know that won't work with MP). Back then, I found out that dual cards was a problem. This still seems to be the case. Is there anyone out there with a Dual Tuner Satellite configuration that works?

I don't mind about investing in two different types of DVB-S cards as long as I can be sure they will work together.

Here's hoping...

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi solomalee,

I have MediaPortal working perfectly with 2 DVB-T cards, exactly as you describe, ..... :) .

So, I would guess that you should get the same results os me, with 2 DVB-S cards instead.

I am using the RC2 version of MP with the latest CVS, with 2 different DVB-T cards and I have applied the fix mentioned here. This fix (a Microsoft fix.....) was the key to getting the 2 DVB cards to play together happily..... :D

solomalee

January 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Taipan said:
    I have MediaPortal working perfectly with 2 DVB-T cards...I would guess that you should get the same results os me, with 2 DVB-S cards instead.

Taipan, thanks for the hint, but 'guess' is just not concrete enough for me. Particularly as Running DVB-S seems to be a case of frigging the DVB-T driver to work in the first place (...just going off what I've read about why MCE Only supports DVB-T).

Mzemina that thread isn't giving me confidence that an investment in two DVB-S cards is a safe one, particularly as the PVR 250 and PVR 350 I thought were analog cards. I've seen plenty of evidence from the MythTV world that the PVR250/350 cards can be used together anyway.

I'm only really happy to go ahead with such patches once I hear from someone who has them working in exactly the situation I'm describing.

Sorry to be picky, but I'd like to hear from someone who is successfully running two DVB-S cards with the all important WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) state of reliability.

I guess for further clarity...exactly which two DVB-S PCI cards could be expected to work together without problems?

Thanks

SoloMalee

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom